Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 720

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Title updated.
    Thanks David, post away folks!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I simply posted this thread as an update on inner workings in the local Australian industry, both myself and other sydney businesses were affected by the shipment of stocks from the distributor to to us being out of date before arrival. It was simply sharing of an event.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen:

I, for one appreciate your raising your concerns here, but while this may risk belabouring the point, I'd like to highlight the differences between two of your posts.

First, your initial post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    This month something interesting has been happening in Australia with certain Kodak Products....Kodak has been supplying local businesses with out of date stock.
    Secondly, your most recent post:

I simply posted this thread as an update on inner workings in the local Australian industry, both myself and other sydney businesses were affected by the shipment of stocks from the distributor to to us being out of date before arrival. It was simply sharing of an event.
    The emphasis was added by me.

So much of the dysfunction we observe in the photographic industry flows from problems with the distribution system. That is, of course a problem for the manufacturers, but it also is a problem for the retailers, labs, commercial end users and non-commercial end users.

The distributors seem to get off Scot free when complaints are shared. That should not be the case.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt- I don't think it matters to Stephen whether Kodak, or the distributor, is at fault. He has a business to run, and can't do so with dated materials. If I were in his shoes, I'd probably blame Kodak. Ultimately, they are responsible for their distribution network.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Matt- I don't think it matters to Stephen whether Kodak, or the distributor, is at fault. He has a business to run, and can't do so with dated materials. If I were in his shoes, I'd probably blame Kodak. Ultimately, they are responsible for their distribution network.
    I have a business to run too. But when I have an issue with a product or a vendor, I take the appropriate measures to allow that company to make good on the situation before I would even imagine posting a thread on a site filled with hobby types that likely are far from having the right answer.

Web born complaints that stick around forever have caused a lot of good companies headaches because tons of people get to chime in with their opinions about the issues before the company even gets to fully rectify it. Simon Galley of Ilford is not only on this site to be a great spokesperson for the company, which he is. He is also on here to put fires out that people light without a care in the world regards to anyone but themselves.

The Internet, destroying common courtesy and decency one lousy thread at a time...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-02-2013 at 06:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you read his post, he says Kodak was going to rectify the situation. I do agree, having Simon here, to represent Ilford, probably means this wouldn't occur with their products. If only Kodak saw fit to do the same...
    As for Stephen not having "a care in the world regards to anyone but themselves [himself]", I don't see where you come up with that statement. We have a lot of Aussie members to whom this information may be relevant. I doubt anything he's posted can do any more damage to Kodak than they've already self-inflicted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you read his post, he says Kodak was going to rectify the situation. I do agree, having Simon here, to represent Ilford, probably means this wouldn't occur with their products. If only Kodak saw fit to do the same...
    As for Stephen not having "a care in the world regards to anyone but themselves [himself]", I don't see where you come up with that statement. We have a lot of Aussie members to whom this information may be relevant. I doubt anything he's posted can do any more damage to Kodak than they've already self-inflicted.
    Correct for example two of the products involved are the consumer Kodak 400 MAX and Kodak Gold 200 films. these films are stocked in local super markets, many ma and pa camera stores. People will notice these films scarce on the shelves. The reason is what I initially posed. And as I said the kodak distributor is taking appropriate action to get in date stock and re supply retailers with this stock. The distributor is also going to allow retailers to keep the out of date stocks at no charge. so expect some very cheap rolls to be out and about on the local market.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The distributor is also going to allow retailers to keep the out of date stocks at no charge. so expect some very cheap rolls to be out and about on the local market.
    Now there's the good news for us, was it only Gold and Max, or was there any b/w or e6 in there?
    Not so good news for the distributors and/or kodak or whoever is ultimately going to have to write-down a whole lot of stuff as a loss...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, that is not what I meant, obviously he cares. I'm just saying that this kind of thing happens far too much on the web and it does more damage than good. I need Kodak products that I have come to prefer to do my job, just like I have other tools or materials that I depend on to do my job. I have always done and always do my part to maintain great working relationships with those who provide me with both the services and products that I depend on.

I think avoiding posting things on the web at all costs only helps to foster these relationships, we protect each other's mutually beneficial interests. And perhaps you misunderstood the context in which I mentioned Simon Galley, clearly put, because of how nasty and damaging the Internet can be, he is as much a babysitter of the brand as he is a front man...this was never quite as nasty a problem pre-Internet. Period.

Whether or not a company's wrong decisions could be deemed as self inflicted or not should be an invitation to pour gasoline on them and throw a match in, why add to it?....unless one gets more enjoyment living a virtual life rather than a real one...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-02-2013 at 07:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you're overestimating the damage Stephen's post caused Kodak.
    I do have a question, though. Do you think 20-25 years ago Kodak would have allowed a distributor to deliver expired goods? I remember a few times, visiting my local camera store, when a Kodak rep was checking expiration dates on products. If an item was even close to past-date, he pulled it.
    Distributors have written agreements with the companies they represent. I've no doubt the distributor responsible for this has a contractual agreement to supply fresh goods or, at the very least, not to supply dated goods as new.
    I was raised on Kodak. I find their difficulties as painful as most here. But, the ultimate responsibility when you open a yellow box is theirs. They need to do a better job policing their distributors.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin