Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,491   Online: 1111

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Kodak B&W paper products have been toast for a while now. I hate to say it but I doubt this is Kodak's doing and more AU approach to the film business.

Well, maybe not. How is it the "AU approach to film business"? Nobody quite knows where, or if there is a Kodak in Australia. For their information, film hasn't died, only Kodak (in name at least, subject to a date of resurrection and visible presence). There is a Ilford. And there is FOMA, and they're doing a brisk trade, and why not? Readily available, acccessible, very good quality, a lot of positive user reviews brings repeat business. I do however, have a major problem understanding the approach of retailers to film. Elsewhere here on APUG I have voiced concerns about the pricing of film. Nobody seems to complain about Kodak's film ... because they cannot find Kodak film!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to clarify that for Australia. MANY people are finding Kodak film quite perfectly fine - and not only from the USA.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    It's possible that because some of the smaller stores aren't ordering in large quantities, Kodak don't see them as worth their time - Stephen mentioned earlier that they didn't want to create an account for him, simply because he wasn't ordering enough.
    This is factually Incorrect! Kodak Australia didn't want to give me an account for 2 reasons

The First being that I was a 23 year old who had just built his own analog pro lab and they didn't have confidence in the idea of me not offering digital services.
    I would like to point out their misjudgement because 8 years later I'm still here and have seen many labs in my area which they did support fall.

Second I would like to point out that they wanted to know my personal wealth. Something I don't see as being any of their business.

I was one of the largest consumers of Kodaks E-6 and C-41 chemistry in the country but have switched to Fuji Hunt and I' m still one of the biggest consumers of Kodak Black and white chemistry.

In terms of their paper stocks being a hand printer of course its harder to use as much volume as digital pro labs however there was never an issue of me meeting their minimum order quantities or values.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    This is factually Incorrect! Kodak Australia didn't want to give me an account for 2 reasons

The First being that I was a 23 year old who had just built his own analog pro lab and they didn't have confidence in the idea of me not offering digital services.
    I would like to point out their misjudgement because 8 years later I'm still here and have seen many labs in my area which they did support fall.

Second I would like to point out that they wanted to know my personal wealth. Something I don't see as being any of their business.

I was one of the largest consumers of Kodaks E-6 and C-41 chemistry in the country but have switched to Fuji Hunt and I' m still one of the biggest consumers of Kodak Black and white chemistry.

In terms of their paper stocks being a hand printer of course its harder to use as much volume as digital pro labs however there was never an issue of me meeting their minimum order quantities or values.
    Sorry Stephen - I stand corrected. Opening an account should be a painless process - if you are in the black I don't see a problem with allowing you to purchase on a 30day account.

Of course, that would be using common sense, and I guess more often than not, that is *not* relevant to business situations (hence so many problems happening with so many companies these days....)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    So much about one of Kodak's department's believe in and devotion to classic photography even 8 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak was like a lot of suppliers for a long time.

COD unless/until you had a track record with them or a financial statement that would impress a banker.

Anyone here ever known a photographer or lab that didn't pay his/her/its bills promptly
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    [...]
    Anyone here ever known a photographer or lab that didn't pay his/her/its bills promptly

Yes. Me.
    I they take their time, I take my time. Savvy.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin