Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,952   Online: 1098

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If this film appeals to you then check to see whether short ends are available. This would be the economical way of getting it. It is not difficult to process ECN films.

The rem-jet coating has been removed so as not to piss-off commercial processors. The rem-jet coating really screws up their systems which are not equipped to deal with it..
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well they must have done something right because it looks good to me, but I will post my results when I get them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the precaution about backlit scenes is a strong indication to me that there will be halation in some conditions.

Any CD3 film processed in a CD4 developer or vice versa, runs the risk of degraded color and image stability. It is the nature of the game. I've done both, but I know what I am up against and I take my chances. It is the nature of the game called chemistry. It is not going to ruin things utterly, but you may not get the entire result you deserve.

It is an admirable effort and deserves credit. It also deserves a try..

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it interesting, though if I go this route I'll probably try to find some Vision3 and proper developer and do it myself. However, my skill-level has to increase before I attempt it.

For me, the color shifts would not be as important as longevity. I'd expect color "issues" from cross-processing, but would want the images, however they turned out, to last. That is probably why I've not yet tried cross-processing, as fun as it sounds to me. I have some terrible, grainy, ill-lit, half-blurred photos I took in my childhood when I was first learning to use a camera. They have lasted, so I still have those memories.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    I find it interesting, though if I go this route I'll probably try to find some Vision3 and proper developer and do it myself. However, my skill-level has to increase before I attempt it.
    Unlike C41 and E6, the recipes and detailed processing instrcutions for ECN-2 have been published by Kodak. There is an interesting discussion here on APUG, too.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm siding with PE on this one, I remember what happened with Seattle FilmWorks and their attempt at cinema film. I'll pass on spending $10 on 2 rolls of this particular film.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have plenty of Seattle Filmworks negatives from 25 years ago. I wish I had used regular still film for these photos. They are difficult to print - low contrast and strange color balance. They look OK on ultra endura, but not as good as anything I shot on Vericolor, or Gold or Agfacolor. If there was a paper made for this film, then it might be worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    I'm siding with PE on this one, I remember what happened with Seattle FilmWorks and their attempt at cinema film. I'll pass on spending $10 on 2 rolls of this particular film.
    When Seattle Film works was doing this they were using the correct process for the film. The problem was with the nature of the film at that time. It was intended to be printed on color positive film and not color paper. The separate curves did not match and prints always had a color cast. Since then Kodak has changed things so the problem no longer occurs.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-08-2013 at 11:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry;

Sorry, but that problem still exists. Kodak professional negative films (Portra and etc) processed in C41, are intended to have a contrast of about 0.6 and Endura paper is built to a cntrast of 2.5 thus giving a print of about 1.5, but ECN is built to have a contrast of about 0.5 and so printed on Endura it gives a flat print with a contrast of 1.25.

This is assuming that the films are processed in their correct processes. IDK what the cross process will do to contrast, but I do know that the ECN dyes will become more polar in the C41 process and thus will be broader in hue and will be oriented in the oil drops in a different fashion. Maybe you have some thoughts on this, but generally the orientation and the glass transition temperature control some aspects of image stability.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This is assuming that the films are processed in their correct processes. IDK what the cross process will do to contrast, but I do know that the ECN dyes will become more polar in the C41 process and thus will be broader in hue and will be oriented in the oil drops in a different fashion.
    Given that 500T is marketed as ISO 800 C41 film I would assume that regular C41 yields much higher contrast than correct ECN-2 processing. But that's just a guess ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin