Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,839   Online: 995

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, no print film ever had a rem jet backing.

Thanks for the clarification Charles.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    AFAIK, no print film ever had a rem jet backing.
    Thanks for the clarification Charles.
    PE
    I just checked the Old Fuji film site and there last print films DID NOT have the rem jet and the datasheets refer to ECP-2B see for example http://www.fujifilm.eu/eu/products/m...a-cp-type3512/ although if you look at the PDF that is linked there "The Process steps of prebath and rem-jet removal may be omitted"

the other "strange" Print film "2332 Asset Protection Film" calls for ECP-2D and also apperently does not have the REM-JET.

So I don't know when it was dropped on the print films. The Data sheet for ECP-2D does have the note that

"Film 2395 / 3395 is coated on a new ESTAR Base
    featuring proprietary Kodak technology that replaces rem-jet
    with process-surviving, anti-static layer, and scratch-
    resistant backing layer. This film has an efficient
    antihalation layer under the emulsion layers, using patented
    solid particle dyes that are decolorized and removed during
    processing.
    "

But I don't know how many generations that is back... The data sheet is at http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa.../h2409a(1).pdf
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles;

Your reference of films without rem-jet, which shows the structure, is for print films. AFAIK, ECN, the camera fulm, is still made with rem-jet. And of course, with these the rem-jet removal stage can be omitted.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Your reference of films without rem-jet, which shows the structure, is for print films. AFAIK, ECN, the camera film, is still made with rem-jet.
    EXACTLY!

Years ago I played with the Camera Negative at home and the rem-jet gets on everything.

The only point I was trying to add to this discussion is that just taking the Camera film and buffing off the rem-jet will leave you with a film with no antihalo. I brought up the print films as where they did stop using remjet they had to come up with a new system UNDER the emulsion layer to substitute.

I appreciate that these guys have done a lot of work to come up with a way to safely use the Vision stock for those who don't have access to a friendly Movie lab. (the big movie processors typically run at 100 FPM or so and so it is a bit tricky to splice in a 5 foot section of film to help out a still Photographer) BUT I don't think the results will be as good without the rem-jet at time of exposure. I am guessing they figure that the C-41 run will give them a bit of a push to up the contrast and at the same time justify their 800 rating to a 500 film that many Movie pros like to rate at 320.

I get the terible feeling taht this sounds like I am arguing, and I really am not.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's a show about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The is a competition to win 5 rolls on the 35mm film Facebook page. There's not many entries and only 3 days left to enter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quite a lot of this is starting to show up on Flickr and now I have 5 rolls, I'm quite excited. I just hope a photo mag does a review.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I recently shot ECN-2 500T and x-processed in C-41 and the colors were dull and had accuracy issues. This was not film sold by this company it was 500T with the rem jet backing which I removed myself.

I'm going to try ECN-2 in ECN developer the next time.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, I have said it over and over. The contrast of ECN films is very low and cross processing it makes it even more so. You can scan it and fiddle with it until it looks good, but that is about it.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Stone, I have said it over and over. The contrast of ECN films is very low and cross processing it makes it even more so. You can scan it and fiddle with it until it looks good, but that is about it.

PE
    Right which makes the examples in the OP either false advertising or the film isn't 500T.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin