Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,783   Online: 730

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: NEW Agfa APX400

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    But for film I don't particularly like it, not because it's dishonest or anything, but if it's a different recipe and the dev times are different then that's just asking for confusion...
    That's probably why the "new" APX 100 and 400 come with a label on the box saying "new emulsion". Even if you don't have the box any more, the new products only come in 135 format and it is easy to look at the bar code on the cassette and see who is the manufacturer.
    But, no, I also don't like it when it is the same name, different emulsion.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    But, no, I also don't like it when it is the same name, different emulsion.
    But what is probably worse is the above from the same manufacturer. How many formulations have e had of Tri-X? Some with no admission or notification of a change?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Photographer not a job description - a diagnosis.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Come to think of it, does anybody else here think it's dishonest and misleading to use an old established (and highly desirable) brand name, in order to sell a product that is something different?
    I do.
    (Even the sales guy in one of the most prestigious photo shop in Germany did not realize the change to something different.)

But that misleading already started with resorting to other manufacturers and their emulsions for Vista and Precisa colour films. And there was not even a hint at a change of emulsion as with the new APX.

The same for all the other rebranding under "AgfaPhoto".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livsey View Post
    But what is probably worse is the above from the same manufacturer. How many formulations have e had of Tri-X? Some with no admission or notification of a change?
    There has been one change to Tri-X in recent times, and that was in 2001 when Kodak changed the manufacturing and consolidated production into the current facilities. They certainly did not make a secret out of that one, and it still comes out of the same factory, and from the same company.

What irks me about this 'new' APX line of films is that it feels a little like taking advantage of the brand name, and milking it in order to make people buy it. Business wise it's probably better than coming up with a new name of the film, but at the same time it's an indication of the sad state of our economy, where profit and sales trump everything.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

What irks me about this 'new' APX line of films is that it feels a little like taking advantage of the brand name, and milking it in order to make people buy it. Business wise it's probably better than coming up with a new name of the film, but at the same time it's an indication of the sad state of our economy, where profit and sales trump everything.
    I'm not too worried by the fact that Vista and Precisa color films are now made by another manufacturer, but under the same name (after all, C-41 and E6 are standard processes and both films seem of similar high quality to the old Agfa products). But B&W products which don't perform similarly, and needs different handling for best results is another matter. Bit like someone supplying FP4+ packed as Plus-X now that Kodak no longer supplies this ....both fine films but definitely not the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    ORWO Media GmbH was never involved in film manufacture or marketing.
    Not sure if it was the same company but I recall buying some ORWO 125 which I think came from J+C Photo. It was marked "ORWO media" but had a resemblance to FP4. This was made before the ILFORD reorg. The edge printing was not like ILFORD however so it was packed by "Someone Else", not any of the usual suspects.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for correcting me.
    I thought that was still at the times of old Orwo (though turned capitalistic now...)
    Orwo Media was a photo-lab company, their successor is now very successful in that field. Maybe though they took over that rebranded film from Orwo.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    AFAIR from the Fotoimpex catalog years ago there was Orwo 125 and 400 which was rebranded FP4 and HP5.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    AFAIR from the Fotoimpex catalog years ago there was Orwo 125 and 400 which was rebranded FP4 and HP5.
    I remember using some of that Orwopan 125, which I got hold of in some roundabout way.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin