Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,933   Posts: 1,557,004   Online: 1177

Shooter
    Instant Films

A question about Transparency/Slide film masking tape.

I'm working on a project for school in which I slice up pieces of 35mm motion picture film leader/scraps which resemble (mostly) famous abstract paintings (Rothko, Barnett Newman, etc.) and put them in slide mounts so that I can project them onto the walls of a gallery, giant sized using a carousel projector. The problem is that obviously the way I want to compose each slide does not always fit perfectly within the (approximately) 36mm x 24mm frame of the slide mounts. I therefore need some way to mask off certain parts of the slide. This is a piece of fine art, which I hope to add to my portfolio etc. therefore longevity is extremely important. Obviously most types of tape are off limits for archival purposes, heat sensitivity, etc. (like electrical tape and black hockey tape). My professor insists that there is a specific tape dedicated to this purpose but I'm thinking it's a thing of the past after unsuccessfully searching B&H's and Printfile's websites. I figured APUG would probably know best. I'm thinking if such a thing ever existed it was probably just a re-branded aluminium foil tape. Recommendations/advice would be much appreciated, please and thank you!

I've attached some pictures to explain myself if this^^^(above) was not clear enough (I want to turn image1 into image2).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1.jpg   image2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3M Litographers red tape

Shooter
    Medium Format
    check this. I think there are different widths.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tape_1_4_.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This is what you want:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4147-3...8-in.-x-72-yds.

Vaughn

Added: or the stuff above from B&H...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can use aluminium foil, cut with a scalpel, to give a good hard edge. This also enables irregular shapes too of course. Combine the mask with the transparency inside the glass mount.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I tried proprietory slide masking tape and found it a) expensive b) hard to use and c) not very effective. Much better was aluminium baking foil, but rather than cut it with a scalpel for straight edges, I folded it carefully to give a clean, straight, crisp edge, securing it in the 35mm mount with the adhesive masking tape. I take no credit for this technique - it was recommended to me by Margaret Salisbury FRPS several years ago.
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Instant Films
    AMAZING, thanks! That is most definitely what I am going to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be very wary of using any kind of masking tape. Some will dry out and some will become a gummy mess. These days there are far too many tapes being made by the " Lucky Golden Rat Excrement Extra Sh*tty Chinese Tape Company. Some of which would be far better if the adhesive was on the other side. The roll of silver mylar tape I use is (3m) over forty years old and has not changed properties at all. It is made that way for a reason.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin