Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,756   Online: 838

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Processing in Tokyo

Hi All,

I am off to Japan next week for some R & R and thought that I'd like to actually process some of my film while there instead of bringing it back home to China. My guess is that getting prints is not impossible like here in Shanghai. 4 years of living here and I have yet to find one place that prints photos from negatives. I hope Tokyo is better.

A few questions.

1. Anyone know what it could cost per roll of C41, 120 size with 16 4 x 6 prints?
    2. Are turn around times fast? Same day?
    3. E6 costs?
    4. How would my 120 negatives/transparencies be returned to me? Cut into plastic holders or one piece of film, all rolled up?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if you've seen this website or not, but the links it provides might help in terms of prices: click He doesn't list Yodobashi but I'm sure you can get any kind of film developed there. Maybe others can chime in with real experience.

I've never had my film developed in Tokyo (although I've rented darkrooms there), but I live in a relatively small city (approx. 800,000 people) in Kyushu, and I can get 120 colour positive or negative film developed in two hours or less for about 700 yen (developing only). I'm sure the big labs out in Tokyo must be comparable in terms of speed, although price is bound to be more expensive, especially with prints. Generally negative or slides come back to you sleeved, but you can ask for it to be uncut (which I usually do when I shoot with a Holga) or mounted (in the case of transparencies). The same site has a generally good list of translations for the terminology you may need to use with Japanese speakers: click.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    I don't know if you've seen this website or not, but the links it provides might help in terms of prices: click He doesn't list Yodobashi but I'm sure you can get any kind of film developed there. Maybe others can chime in with real experience.

I've never had my film developed in Tokyo (although I've rented darkrooms there), but I live in a relatively small city (approx. 800,000 people) in Kyushu, and I can get 120 colour positive or negative film developed in two hours or less for about 700 yen (developing only). I'm sure the big labs out in Tokyo must be comparable in terms of speed, although price is bound to be more expensive, especially with prints. Generally negative or slides come back to you sleeved, but you can ask for it to be uncut (which I usually do when I shoot with a Holga) or mounted (in the case of transparencies). The same site has a generally good list of translations for the terminology you may need to use with Japanese speakers: click.
    Thank you very much. If only I can find these places while in Tokyo. The Japanese address system is more inscrutable than Zen!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think yahoo works better for Japan, you might try that for addresses.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Thank you very much. If only I can find these places while in Tokyo. The Japanese address system is more inscrutable than Zen!
    After living here for almost 10 years I still don't get them. Thankfully I have google maps on my phone, it really helps in finding places!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was stationed in the USAF in Japan (Fuchu Air Station) in the mid 1960's, I bought my Nikon F Photomic T in an area called Shinjuku where all the photo shops were. Does the area still exist? Still busy with camera and photo stuff?

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if this will get to you too late, but you could try the LomoLab at Lomography Tokyo: Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 6-11-14 3331 Arts Chiyoda 102. That is near the second left off Chuo-dori if you take exit 4 from Suehirocho station on the Ginza Line.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's been four years since I was still working in Japan, but the last time I was in Tokyo the camera shops were still there. Of course, I didn't buy anything because I'm still working with my old Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyside View Post
    I don't know if this will get to you too late, but you could try the LomoLab at Lomography Tokyo: Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 6-11-14 3331 Arts Chiyoda 102. That is near the second left off Chuo-dori if you take exit 4 from Suehirocho station on the Ginza Line.
    Thanks, but I brought all my film home for processing. Maybe next time!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin