Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,903   Posts: 1,584,560   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Best Neutral Metering Card(s)

Like many I've carried a neutral gray or grey card into the field with me for years. However, the old Kodak 18% card is about done for and I started looking on line for a decent replacement that is somewhat "weatherproof" if not totally "waterproof".

In searching on line with a large variety of vendors there seems to be a lot of products offered up as 18% gray, but immediately followed up with statements of confusion and product reviews of more or less 12% gray and or used for white balance too. Say what? Is it a true 18% or not?

So, I'm looking for a product that is say 4x6 inch card, weatherproof, and must be considered 18% or neutral gray. Specific product names or direct links would be of help.......thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My search turned up a Kodak 18% gray card not followed by any disclaimer as to being only 12%. http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-1903061-.../dp/B00009R7B0
    I have had my Kodak gray card for about 25 years, I sprayed it with Krylon Matte Finish which makes it not totally waterproof but pretty darned weatherproof. It measures 4.5 by 6.5 and it's in a plastic folder which I'm not sure where I got but it works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gray card 003.JPG   gray card 002.JPG   gray card 001.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have found all of the following are both neutral in WB and also 18% tonality
    • Douglas gray card (vinyl)
    • PhotoVision (coated cloth)
    • Kodak grey card (cardboard)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for this information, both comments are helping me narrowing things down to what I need. I appreciate the input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera meters and light meter are calibrated for 12% gray cards not 18%. That means they're off by approx 1/2 stop. See this discussion or google it. There are loads of links discussing this issue.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=252541

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point Alan, which leads to the question, where do you find a 12% card? 1/2 stop is not a deal breaker, but why not sell and advertise 12% cards I wonder.....thank you for your comment and the link too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Good point Alan, which leads to the question, where do you find a 12% card? 1/2 stop is not a deal breaker, but why not sell and advertise 12% cards I wonder.....thank you for your comment and the link too.
    In all my years, I have only learned of ONE product with 12% tonality, the Lastolite EZBalance 12%, and they don't seem to import it into the US (made in Britain).

Meter 18%, add 0.5EV more exposure, per Kodak instructions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the plastic ones. I chop the 8x10 into quarters and put them in my bag.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For weatherproof (I presume because it's made of plastic, but haven't used one), how about a Spyder Cube?
    OK, so it's meant to be used for digital white-balancing and all that, but it's still got an 18% grey surface or two.
    Only downside is that it's a bit small, but if you've got a 1-degree spot meter and stand close enough, it'll do the trick...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy at the godfather of grey-cards, Dietmar Meisel.
    This guy has devoted part of his life just to designing and producing grey- and color-cards.

http://fotowand.de/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin