Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,429   Online: 803

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by filmamigo View Post
    Let's spread the word about 122 rollfilm for Kodak 3A cameras! It was on last year's list, but we didn't get enough folks for the minimum order.
    What was the minimum? And how close did it come? And what was the cost per roll a year ago?

Against all reason, I've had my eye on a 3A. I must be crazy. It's the film requirement holding me back. The camera is in nice condition and could be an occasional gentle novelty user. Just want to know if I must sell my children to feed it. I must be crazy...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    What was the minimum? And how close did it come? And what was the cost per roll a year ago?

Against all reason, I've had my eye on a 3A. I must be crazy. It's the film requirement holding me back. The camera is in nice condition and could be an occasional gentle novelty user. Just want to know if I must sell my children to feed it. I must be crazy...
    Ken
    You could also buy a box of B&W photo paper, cut it to size and use it as a paper negative ...
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also ordered a roll of 122 last year, but didn't get it. How many was that for this thread alone? (couldn't afford 2, sorry.)

How about an ordering system with a second chance option? Order product A (in this case a 122 roll), and if that doesn't meet the minimum, only then switch to product B (perhaps the 9cm FP4+, which would be rather less expensive as a bonus).

I should point out, the film stock doesn't have to be exactly as wide as the backing paper, so the 9cm would work almost as well as the 122. I've taken apart a couple rolls of 125 (3B) size roll film to see how it's made. What they did to make this was use the actual 122 stock (I measured it), but wound it on a 103 spool, which is almost exactly 5mm wider than the 122 spool, and widened the backing paper to match the spool. This leaves you with film that's just a tiny bit narrower than its backing paper. If Kodak could make that work, then I can use the 9cm stock in 122 backing paper instead of the 91.75mm stock that didn't wind up being manufactured due to insufficient demand. I've also loaded 105mm microfiche stock in 123 spools, which are almost 15mm wider, with home-made backing paper, and made that work as well.

(though now I can't develop the stuff... no darkroom at the moment, and the largest daylight tank I have is the ancient Kodak Film Tank's malodourous celluloid apron, which only fits up to 122.)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I also ordered a roll of 122 last year, but didn't get it. How many was that for this thread alone? (couldn't afford 2, sorry.)

How about an ordering system with a second chance option? Order product A (in this case a 122 roll), and if that doesn't meet the minimum, only then switch to product B (perhaps the 9cm FP4+, which would be rather less expensive as a bonus).

I should point out, the film stock doesn't have to be exactly as wide as the backing paper, so the 9cm would work almost as well as the 122. I've taken apart a couple rolls of 125 (3B) size roll film to see how it's made. What they did to make this was use the actual 122 stock (I measured it), but wound it on a 103 spool, which is almost exactly 5mm wider than the 122 spool, and widened the backing paper to match the spool. This leaves you with film that's just a tiny bit narrower than its backing paper. If Kodak could make that work, then I can use the 9cm stock in 122 backing paper instead of the 91.75mm stock that didn't wind up being manufactured due to insufficient demand. I've also loaded 105mm microfiche stock in 123 spools, which are almost 15mm wider, with home-made backing paper, and made that work as well.

(though now I can't develop the stuff... no darkroom at the moment, and the largest daylight tank I have is the ancient Kodak Film Tank's malodourous celluloid apron, which only fits up to 122.)
    The 70mm non-perf was not quite as wise as the original 116 film, off by just a bit, but it worked just fine for re-rolling.

I'm sure the 122 could work as long as it's still wide enough to cover the film gate.

Biggest issue is re-rolling backing paper. It's degrading fast, I wish ilford was able to make 127/116 backing paper rolls...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know this has more than likely been asked before (I can't be the first), but is there any chance of Delta3200 in 4x5? Just in the size where we really need narrow apertures, and big grain doesn't matter so much as in the smaller formats, and there's only ei400 available from anywhere.
    I could swing maybe $200 worth, for that cash 50-100 sheets ($2-4 per sheet) would be nice but if I only get 25-35 or so ($6-8/sheet) I could probably still justify that as worth it for a film that nice...

edit: ps, ditto PanF50 in sheets (I know that's been asked before, but I'll add my vote)
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 03-17-2014 at 09:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just keep making and listing 14x11" film.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    I know this has more than likely been asked before (I can't be the first), but is there any chance of Delta3200 in 4x5? Just in the size where we really need narrow apertures, and big grain doesn't matter so much as in the smaller formats, and there's only ei400 available from anywhere.
    I could swing maybe $200 worth, for that cash 50-100 sheets ($2-4 per sheet) would be nice but if I only get 25-35 or so ($6-8/sheet) I could probably still justify that as worth it for a film that nice...

edit: ps, ditto PanF50 in sheets (I know that's been asked before, but I'll add my vote)
    FYI I doubt they would make a D3200 sheet, but it's always good to make your voice heard, however just FYI I've discovered that HP5+ pushes to 3200 beautifully, much better than I had expected (with DD-X). Also, why would you need such a fast film on a sheet film camera that would normally be on a tripod anyway?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    FYI I doubt they would make a D3200 sheet, but it's always good to make your voice heard, however just FYI I've discovered that HP5+ pushes to 3200 beautifully, much better than I had expected (with DD-X). Also, why would you need such a fast film on a sheet film camera that would normally be on a tripod anyway?
    Maybe it's from the top of a moving train!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    but you have problems with 3200 and 120 curl?
    look at the 3200 data sheet for base thickness.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    but you have problems with 3200 and 120 curl?
    look at the 3200 data sheet for base thickness.
    Huh? What does the curl issue have to do with this thread? And also, D3200 is coated in a different base than HP5+

Not sure what you're trying to ascertain.?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin