Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,220   Online: 671

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ...you can always ask and I will always tell you the reason why...
    Amazing patience. Sometimes it's only that first part that's really required, just to let people feel better about the situation.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Regular Rod,

Our reseller partners do not hold stock of ULF or custom sizes ( very, very rarely anyway, one or two in the USA may on occasion ) its why we have to all pre-order it and why we have to go through this
    exacting process every year.

And to confirm we will not be making PAN F + sheet film or DELTA Professional 3200 in sheet film on the ULF run, or at anytime, you can always ask and I will always tell you the reason why, and in this case its simple the price we would need to charge to make a return on our investment, would be in the region of 4 to 5 times the cost of FP4+ or HP5+ PER SHEET ( I have done the math ) and thats a price very few customers would be prepared to pay, and quite frankly, I don't blame them.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Dear Simon

Thank you for that. I managed to buy 6.5 x 8.5 HP5 plus and Delta 100 a couple of months ago from Silverprint, so I imagine they felt it was worth stocking for such as me to come along and buy without pre-ordering. As for the PAN F Plus in sheet sizes, I gave up on that at the November tour of your wonderful operation. I suppose one day someone may offer a slow film again in sheet sizes and we will form an orderly queue when that happens...

Keep up the good work and stay solvent so you can continue to look after us in the same excellent way that you do now.

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Dear Simon

Thank you for that. I managed to buy 6.5 x 8.5 HP5 plus and Delta 100 a couple of months ago from Silverprint, so I imagine they felt it was worth stocking for such as me to come along and buy without pre-ordering. As for the PAN F Plus in sheet sizes, I gave up on that at the November tour of your wonderful operation. I suppose one day someone may offer a slow film again in sheet sizes and we will form an orderly queue when that happens...

Keep up the good work and stay solvent so you can continue to look after us in the same excellent way that you do now.

RR
    Just as material for thought. What is it you seek in a low speed film in sheets, such as Pan-F+? It mustn't be the grain since films like Delta 100 exist in sheet film, and nobody can argue that the grain isn't fine enough. Resolution is top notch too.

I'm guessing here about your motives, but all that's left for me is film speed, and if that's the case it's very simple to slow down your existing film (even HP5+) to virtually any EI you want, by employing neutral density filters. EI 400 to EI 25 is four stops. Get a four stop ND filter. The end.

What else is there to achieve with a slower film in sheet film sizes?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Just as material for thought. What is it you seek in a low speed film in sheets, such as Pan-F+? It mustn't be the grain since films like Delta 100 exist in sheet film, and nobody can argue that the grain isn't fine enough. Resolution is top notch too.

I'm guessing here about your motives, but all that's left for me is film speed, and if that's the case it's very simple to slow down your existing film (even HP5+) to virtually any EI you want, by employing neutral density filters. EI 400 to EI 25 is four stops. Get a four stop ND filter. The end.

What else is there to achieve with a slower film in sheet film sizes?
    It's an unwillingness to change Thomas. Having worked a certain way off and on since 1959, tried digital etc. and returned to film and then seeing maker after maker dropping films (and papers) from their ranges and then finding the 'fridge is getting lower and lower on stocks of the precious..

Some of us like the way traditional films work. The S curve still has a lot going for it.

Have you tried the new Rollei RPX 25?

Anyway, like I said earlier, since the November visit to Harman, I've given up on the hope of ever having PAN F Plus in sheets. I have bought Delta 100 and will manage with it for now. I bless IFORD (Harman) every time I load up with its products.

Nevertheless, I still miss the old films from companies that now seem to have vanished for ever.

If I want to get really depressed I start to think about papers...

RR

Shooter
    35mm
    ...Some of us like the way traditional films work. The S curve still has a lot going for it...
    The curve of a negative can be manipulated to a large extent by adjusting agitation intervals, especially when using more dilute developer. A more dilute developer will be exhausted sooner locally, at the highlights, and reduced agitation will not bring fresher developer as quick as say agitation every 30'' or 1'. This way, you can get more pronounced shoulder, and effectively an S curve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an unwillingness to change Thomas. Having worked a certain way off and on since 1959, tried digital etc. and returned to film and then seeing maker after maker dropping films (and papers) from their ranges and then finding the 'fridge is getting lower and lower on stocks of the precious..

Some of us like the way traditional films work. The S curve still has a lot going for it.

Have you tried the new Rollei RPX 25?

I understand about changing.

The S-curve can be obtained with other films. Delta 100 would be an excellent candidate, FP4+ even better. For your normal contrast scene, expose the film a little bit less than you normally would. Then use a dilute developer such as Rodinal, D76 1:3, or Xtol 1:3 perhaps, and develop the film longer. Use long agitation intervals, like every three minutes, and you will be able, with some fine tuning, to create a similar S-shaped tone curve that is inherent in the Pan-F+ emulsion.
    I have done it, and still do it, on a regular basis. Easy peasy.

I use only one film, so I have no interest in trying a new emulsion, but I hope you have lots of fun with the Rollei.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I understand about changing.

The S-curve can be obtained with other films. Delta 100 would be an excellent candidate, FP4+ even better. For your normal contrast scene, expose the film a little bit less than you normally would. Then use a dilute developer such as Rodinal, D76 1:3, or Xtol 1:3 perhaps, and develop the film longer. Use long agitation intervals, like every three minutes, and you will be able, with some fine tuning, to create a similar S-shaped tone curve that is inherent in the Pan-F+ emulsion.
    I have done it, and still do it, on a regular basis. Easy peasy.

I use only one film, so I have no interest in trying a new emulsion, but I hope you have lots of fun with the Rollei.
    For me it's about consistency, and grain becomes a factor in smaller film formats, and now that I've switched to JOBO processing for consistency and ease of developing etc etc, I could develop 12 rolls of PanF+ at once or a combination of 35mm, 120, and 4x5 (if it existed) and could be standardized on that film for all my modeling work which is what PanF+ is good for to me. But now I have to learn a whole new film for 4x5 and have another development run and can't shoot the same exposure with multiple cameras unless I abandon PanF+ entirely for Delta100 which I don't like as much for modeling.

Those are only some of the reasons.

But now that I'm done "experimenting" I'm happy to shoot with only 2 films. And would prefer PanF+ and HP5+ be my two... But that doesn't work for sheet film, so D100 it is... That means I'll be one of the many that no longer purchases PanF+ and the numbers dwindle... Someday there won't be enough and it will go away but not because it's not popular but because it doesn't transcend all formats...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Have you tried the new Rollei RPX 25?"

Yes! Excellent!!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post

Yes! Excellent!!
    I would but it's too expensive in the states.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post

Yes! Excellent!!
    Yes it really is excellent. It lays beautifully flat too. So far every frame has been printable for me. It was very easy to get used to. Now if it came along in sheet sizes too...

RR

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin