Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,705   Online: 1076

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    But, most Pros that I know are either too busy being pros, or disdain APUG as being a site for newbies (this includes other similar web sites). And, since the Pros are experts, they don't like arguments, which are all too often on this and other web sites. Differences of opinion yes, arguments no!

And many Pros either don't want to help or don't care, or have gone digital.

PE
    I just get put off with newfound "experts" (NOT YOU PE... much respect for you too) jumping my arse for my (all about long gone rules) perspective I have gained from wrestling with non-digital media (film) under deadlines and economic constraints of every kind for 18 years of my life. Until you photograph a man or women that makes 100x you do, that can make or break your career, with silver halide film an no polaroid time and digital wasn't invented to save your arse... I wish folks would stop telling me things like.. "standards of yesterday are irrelevant" when I decide for the first time in 5 months to offer advise on a discussion on Medium Format camera choice. I'm a full time pro... published occasionally in national pubs, and making a decent living for 30 years doing lower profile but rewarding work.

RE original post. I have a dozen rolls of the FUJI BW... left... just as long as Tri-x is still around I'm happy. One client I have requires film... and that is the RDP E-6... although he asked today if its days are numbered.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 03-10-2014 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/blogs/vpw...ite-today.html

From a pro that would likely be better off divorcing all my film...

That being said Rena Effendi's recent work for National Geographic, New York Times, and her book were all photographed with her Rollie and E-6 media.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 37th Exposure View Post
    I suppose if you wait about 20 years when people start losing their digital photos due to crashed drives and deteriorating media, as well as engineered obsolescence on the part of the digital mafia, people might start coming around OR the digital industry will start paying attention to image longevity. Hopefully the world supply of film will hold til then. In the meantime, play Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" one more time

Allready have "Fuji" branded DVD's that did not hold data for even a year. Now that Hard Drives are cheap... I don't bother with CD or DVD for anything other than client delivery. Keeping track of drives and what is where is another issue... I don't have a lot of faith in the cloud either... not at least for archives as deep as mine are. ok DPUG discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most pros that I know are very nice and "giving" or "sharing" people. But, they have to run at top speed just to break even and so they have no time or patience with things like arguments on APUG or other forums. I hope you see my point here. Photography is a very demanding profession that is hard to break into and hard to sustain. One error can ruin you forever.

Don't knock the pros for trying to just break even.

I started out in photography in the '50s and have been at it ever since. I've made a living, but that is due to the direction I took. If I had become a pro, who knows where I would be. IDK if my photos are good enough. IDK if I am good enough!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe we should define "pro." The usual definition is someone who is paid for their work, or perhaps earns their living from it. Is that how we mean it here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A pro to me is someone who makes ALL of his income from photography.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    A pro to me is someone who makes ALL of his income from photography.

PE
    +1 That is me since 1989. and most of my income since 1986. Supporting family via, buying studio building, cameras, and all equipment, and paying income taxes on what is left over.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is a pro photographer well I am member of the club or guild in this case I do not derive all of my income trough photography, only a very large amount of it (not all of it is still photography). Pro photographers like Amateurs are a very diverse group and to say pro photographer this pro photographer that is just generalization plenty of pro photographers love talking shop and lust after the newest equipment which they can rarely afford. Pro photographers have two shortcoming compared to amateurs they have to go with what the costumer wants and can't always choose their medium and they often work under severe time constraint. I would love to use 100% film but I don't really always have a choice.
    I also believe that Fujifilm should get rid of the film part in Fujifilm, they are not the last man standing not even the second or third to last. Depite all the bitching about Kodak, Kodak is more supportive of the medium than Fuji.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Maybe we should define "pro." The usual definition is someone who is paid for their work, or perhaps earns their living from it. Is that how we mean it here?
    Well that used to be the definition of it, but one has to question that with all the part timers out there calling themselves "Semi-Pro's" and putting out garbage work. I question and my wife most certainly questions my decision to participate here but it really boils down to we all share the same driving force for loading a camera and that is doing it strictly for the love of it.

Pros take a beating in terms of perception these days and some of the worst of it comes from amateur photographers sadly enough who pull no punches at putting down the profession, saying no one is doing well, who needs us and that is is dead. It's all too easy to ignore that some of us are doing very well and call the shots more than you might think.

Most stay away from *all* photo-centric forums in general because it is a time waster and it can get flat out ugly to be honest.

I love film and I love the life I have created for my self as a photographer, could not imagine doing photography as just a hobby, I would lose an immense amount of freedom. I'm the only professional photographer in our community that always has a camera with him, a film one at that.....so often against my better judgement, I come on here and post.

We are it man, we are film. We are the marketing department, the R&D, the salesman, the stars and the black holes. Right now B&H shows 169 roll film and 61 sheet film catalog items. In ten years or less that will likely drop to possibly half and be as much as triple the price, so try to imagine you are being "paid" by film makers in being able to shoot film in 2024 by doing all you can now to be creative at spreading film love, not film loss hate.

It's in our hands boys and girls, don't squander the future of film.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-10-2014 at 04:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I find I promote film use the best when I am not on the internet but out shooting, carrying my little 5x7 folio of hand made prints. APUG is not what gets people looking at choosing film again, it is where they go once they decide to explore it, if they can even find the site, usually by word of mouth.
    This site and especially the photos that reside on it are largely invisible to most of the world and I think that PE's citation of metrics is probably correct. Those who become re-engaged in the craft of using film usually have done so because they were inspired by something or someone, like an NYT Lens blog article, a showing of fine prints, seeing someone under the dark cloth or seeing better than usual work on flickr.
    Sorry to disagree, but it was APUG directly that got me back into film. For reasons I cannot recall now, I landed here and started lurking, 100% as a digital shooter. I lurked for probably close to a year before I finally decided that yes, I would return to film. I cannot see how that would have happened without reading and lurking here.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin