Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,097   Online: 1252

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    That being said Rena Effendi's recent work for National Geographic, New York Times, and her book were all photographed with her Rollie and E-6 media.
    Beautiful work in NG on Transylvannia Hay Country, thanks for the reminder...

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but it was APUG directly that got me back into film. For reasons I cannot recall now, I landed here and started lurking, 100% as a digital shooter. I lurked for probably close to a year before I finally decided that yes, I would return to film. I cannot see how that would have happened without reading and lurking here.
    I'm not saying it does not work, but I will say as I have said before that the tone these kinds of threads can often take have repelled a good many I have referred here. I just think that overall, this site and those who frequent it the most can be doing a lot better at getting people to use film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but it was APUG directly that got me back into film. For reasons I cannot recall now, I landed here and started lurking, 100% as a digital shooter. I lurked for probably close to a year before I finally decided that yes, I would return to film. I cannot see how that would have happened without reading and lurking here.
    Flickr and my old photos got me into film exactly a year ago. Actually even before flickr I got interested in Jose Villa's work. Yes, the results got me interested and the look. Not some magical qualities.

I had a look at the galleries here, but they don't inspire me. There might be some good photos here, but it was to hard to find them. I prefer to look at work of some classic photographers and digging through Flickr. 99% of it film. I like photos with good content, light, composition etc...

But for me the results are all that matters. If I don't get what I want, I wouldn't be wasting my time on it.

I converted 1 of my friends to film after he saw my latest photos and another friend of mine took interest and is considering it too...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting discussion on pros vs entusiasts (let's not call ourselves amateurs).

Pros do get an undeserved amount of criticism.

Mostly, I think it's based on envy from enthusiasts who would like to be pros. But couldn't or wouldn't make it.

Today, everyone thinks they're photographers and don't appreciate the skill that is required.

Even if a lot of pro work may seem derivative, it actually takes a lot of skill to deliver the shots that the client wants. They don't have the luxury to shoot whatever they like however they like.

i think the pros keep photography alive as an respected artform, even if they can't always produce art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ^^^ Folks may not know how many art-directors call the shots. I have been hemmed in.
    My personal story is I was sent off to a number of states with marching orders to photograph a project. I came back, was recognized by another AD, I was asked who worked with you on this. I responded that I was on my own. I was referred to another AD for similar project where I was hemmed in by and AD asking me to do the same spontaneous work.. ... where the AD had no clue on how to get spontaneous work. Anyway... that's my story.

Anyway... why am I at APUG? I still use film for some personal projects. I also use it now and then on commercial work when the opportunity presents it'self.
    I also like the old cameras.. "clocks for seeing " as Barthes referred to them. I actually think my salvation may be making portraits on 8x10 film. I dunno... pixel pushing calling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Beautiful work in NG on Transylvannia Hay Country, thanks for the reminder....
    Do you know what film that is? I agree, beautiful. If Provia, I need to rethink my opinion of it. Or get a better handle on filters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^^^ Folks may not know how many art-directors call the shots. I have been hemmed in.
    My personal story is I was sent off to a number of states with marching orders to photograph a project. I came back, was recognized by another AD, I was asked who worked with you on this. I responded that I was on my own. I was referred to another AD for similar project where I was hemmed in by and AD asking me to do the same spontaneous work.. ... where the AD had no clue on how to get spontaneous work. Anyway... that's my story.

Anyway... why am I at APUG? I still use film for some personal projects. I also use it now and then on commercial work when the opportunity presents it'self.
    I also like the old cameras.. "clocks for seeing " as Barthes referred to them. I actually think my salvation may be making portraits on 8x10 film. I dunno... pixel pushing calling.
    Excellent point! And I know for a fact that Art Directors are also hemmed in by their principals. Only rarely is there room for truly free or imaginative work in a commercial setting.

As an enthusiast I am completely free to shoot bokeh studies, or anything else that pleases me but would seem pointless to an audience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Do you know what film that is? I agree, beautiful. If Provia, I need to rethink my opinion of it. Or get a better handle on filters.
    It's possible it is Provia if she is using a newer Rollei with modern coatings. Either way, it is likely filtered a tad warm via a filter or natural light, I would be doing the same with Provia. Also consider the light, light is everything in a photograph, it is likely the second biggest oversight I see in enthusiast work that is lacking, the first being composition and third being exposure...

An example would be you don't take Provia to NYC with all the blue, steel and grey buildings and expect the same warm bounce as Paris.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    It's possible it is Provia if she is using a newer Rollei with modern coatings. Either way, it is likely filtered a tad warm via a filter or natural light, I would be doing the same with Provia. Also consider the light, light is everything in a photograph, it is likely the second biggest oversight I see in enthusiast work that is lacking, the first being composition and third being exposure...

An example would be you don't take Provia to NYC with all the blue, steel and grey buildings and expect the same warm bounce as Paris.
    I've had nothing but good results with Provia. It has natural, yet vibrant colours. It works in sunshine or overcast conditions.

Mind you, I don't develop it myself but I use a pro lab that does it absolutely perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I communicate with her... I'll ask or not.. she is really about the image and is not what appears to me to be a tech head, she lives in a war torn part of the world, I think more often is inclined to use what is available.

Last I asked her about equipment that seemed to be the last thing she wants to discuss about her images....

^^^ also before you go on about tones and what film she uses... all the work you have seen of hers is "offset and digitally printed" and thus someone at a pixel editor has had their hand in it...
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 03-11-2014 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

^^^ also before you go on about tones and what film she uses... all the work you have seen of hers is "offset and digitally printed" and thus someone at a pixel editor has had their hand in it...
    Sure, but something about it strikes me as film. Don't hassle her, but if you do find out I'd be interested. After a couple of years of exclusively B&W I would like to work in color a bit. I have 35mm and MF projectors. Would like to shoot E6 if possible, but they keep taking away my films!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin