Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,147   Online: 1067

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    For practicality it is big ask for people to just import film or buy them during a oveseas holiday. One may ask how long would that .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in Japan last December and could not find Fuji 160NS film *anywhere*. No where in Tokyo anyway.

That said, I can still buy 160NS here in China and in fact, bought 5 rolls this past weekend. I suspect we are on the last bit of stock for this film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't find it impractical, often make group orders from B&H, I don't support local film distributors.

Small orders also can work out well on that auction site and such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The discontinuation notices for this films have been out for a while. I was in Tokyo a month ago and stocked up on all this films. Neopan 400 (35mm), Fuji 160NS (120) and Provia 400X (120).

And yes, you could still buy some 160NS in 120 and 220. I have just checked Yodobashi website and every single store they have has it in stock. Same for 220 version, but it looks like the stock levels are a lot lower.

As for Pro 400, it's consumer version and it's cheaper than Pro 400H. As far as I know, it's Japan only. Here's a link to what it looks like:
    http://www.yodobashi.com/%E5%AF%8C%E...0001000267713/

jun

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Nothing new about this news, Pro 400 and 400H is different etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ;
    AFAIK, Pro 400 is 400H (the repackaging)

I was in Japan last December and could not find Fuji 160NS film *anywhere*. No where in Tokyo anyway.

As for Pro 400, it's consumer version
    Pro 400 and 400H are different product and not repackaged product, I have used both. It is clearly a different product.

Pro 400 negative was "adjusted" to Japanese needs and likes. But 400H was adjusted for oversees needs and likes.

Pro 400 is the Professional version of C41 film for Fuji, NOT consumer version.
    I know 400H is expensive but usually the "discontinuing" films in Japan will be cheaper than the ongoing production films (e.g. I bought last production 120 roll of Kodak EPR / E100GP about USD 2.00 per roll in the past).

Please note that even Kodak produced E100"GP" (not E100G, E100GP is a modified version of E100G) ONLY just for Japanese market in the past.
    Fuji PRO160NS is an active product in Japan for the time being. You should find it out in Tokyo (if you find the right place) and I still see the product not only in Tokyo.
    Fuji did ONLY sell Pro 400 in the Japanese market, and never sold 400H in Japan.
    But several years ago, they started experimentally selling 400H in Japanese market(there was no Japanese printed in the film box).
    I thought that the move mention above paragraph 3, that is concurrently selling Pro 400 and 400H, is the move to unify the product to single product worldwide for the 400 speed professional C41 film.
    I bet it was a burden for Fuji to make a 400 speed C41 professional film specialized just only for the Japanese market.

If Fuji thinks that the Japanese market can accept 400H it was clear that they will quit selling Pro400 and sell 400H instead to unify the professional 400 speed C41 film worldwide.

The fact was:
    I don't really know that Japanese customer really accepted 400H (although I have read the comment in Fuji's web that Japanese market accepted 400H) but anyway Fuji decided to go with 400H and cut off Pro 400.

That is what its all about.
    Nothing new.

For NEOPAN 400, we all know that Browine size (Oops, apologize we Japanese call 120 "Browine size") was already discontinued, so it was clear that it was a matter of time that 135 NEOPAN 400 will be discontinued soon.

That is all about.
    Nothing new.

Note that even that Fuji's Japanese Web site do NOT state that Velvia 100"F" is not discontinued in 120 size but if you go to Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku, there is a poster that states "production of Velvia 100F in Browine size(120) ceased, suggesting if you want, buy now".
    Velvia 100F is still left and still sold in Japan, and with the much cheaper price than Velvia 100/50.
    Note that Fuji still provides not only 100 speed B&W film (ACROS) but still provides chemicals (prepackaged B&W developer, fixer, etc.) and B&W papers
    (compare with other famous film maker that makes several B&W films but quit making B&W papers).

But it my understanding that Fuji's chemicals and papers are usually not available overseas.

Also note Fuji didn't established / conquer the B&W market even in Japan and in the heyday of film (Oh yes, Tri-X was more popular than NEOPAN in Japan).
    Since there less actual player in the film market now, so the NEOPAN ACROS coming to light?

Currently, the Fuji's least profitable sector is the "Imaging" sector (I didn't say silver halide products).
    If Fuji really wants, they can immediately kill the entire B&W product lineup.

It is my understanding that Fuji will provide the sliver halide products in the foreseeable future.
    The question is that "what" product Fuji still provide in the foreseeable future.
    I bet even Fuji can not definitely know what product can be provided in the foreseeable future.
    I know there is a rumor about some product, but I won't write it here, since it is still a rumor.

It is all dependent on how much the product sells.

We know that "Cheki" ("Instax" in USA) is the growing product, for other silver halide product, I don't know.

To wrap it up, do use the product, do not spend so much time on the web for these kind of things.
    Last edited by jun; 03-02-2014 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought Neopan 400 died already with Provia 400X

Shooter
    35mm
    I typically tell myself that one black-and-white film is as good as another, and it's mostly true. But we photographers know that it's not 100% true.bNeopan 400 was a quite different film. I already miss it because it's discontinued in 120. Actually, Neopan 1600 was a bigger blow to me, because Neopan 1600 was fine-grained enough to be an "everyday" film, unlike the 3200-speed offerings from Ilford and Kodak. We have lost so many good films I'm just numb to it. I just bought a bulk roll of HP5 and it will do me fine, but I will still dream of that weird fine-yet-prominant-somehow Neopan 400 grain.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jun View Post

It is all dependent on how much the product sells.
    With Fujifilm's incompetent marketing group, you can be sure that film sales will be less and less each year. Fujifilm's brazen ignorance at how to sell film in today's world is stupefying.

Fujifilm's web site is woefully out of date and inadequate regarding their film line. It is plain embarrassing to look there.

Fujifilm discontinues films without notice. Neopan 400 in 120 size. Where are the price increases to try to keep this film alive? None, it's just gone. The market WILL pay higher prices for good quality films. Same with Provia 400X. Reala 100. The market is given no chance to try to save these films.

I used to think Kodak would exit the film business first. Not any more. Fujifilm's stunning level of incompetence is making me put money on them failing first.

jun

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    With Fujifilm's incompetent marketing group, you can be sure that film sales will be less and less each year. Fujifilm's brazen ignorance at how to sell film in today's world is stupefying.
    Really?
    Well, then why Fuji has the succeed to "increase" the sales of the "Instax" film today(esp. Asian market)?
    It is Fuji's marketing effort.
    I won't discuss about what effort / how Fuji did to start increase the "Instax" market, it is just a waste of time.

This is somewhat similar that the Kodak has a strong influence in motion picture because they did the effort to that market.

But there are things that even you put an effort, but the result will not follow.
    Unfortunately that is the reality.

For the argument of which is going to stay the market longer for the sliver halide products, I will just say, We'll see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jun View Post

But there are things that even you put an effort, but the result will not follow.
    Unfortunately that is the reality.
    We will never know because of Fujifilm's brazen incompetence. They can't be bothered with an effort.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin