Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,093   Posts: 1,636,012   Online: 1208

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, when are you guys going to learn how to make plates and paper?

Geez, how often do I have to mention this?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is more fun to whine. Takes a lot less effort.

I have been procrastinating up to this point, but this is the year that I coat and shoot my own film.

As for the workshop at Eastman House I will start saving for a trip. Maybe I can make it next year.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ratty Mouse should change his name to Chicken Little
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if the products are cancelled, then it is hardly fair to call him Chicken Little. He just reported a fact. Just as I can say that the analog industry is taking a real hit right now.

BTW, a week or so ago, Kodak laid off about 30 people in the film plant here due to decreased demand!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, if the products are cancelled, then it is hardly fair to call him Chicken Little. He just reported a fact. Just as I can say that the analog industry is taking a real hit right now.

BTW, a week or so ago, Kodak laid off about 30 people in the film plant here due to decreased demand!

PE
    Yell all we want at Kodak for their stupid management or Fuji for it's supposed moronic marketing department but as much as we might love film we're not buying enough. That's the bottom line, in more ways than one.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    See the threads here and on LFPF about increases in sheet film prices for Kodak B&W too. They've now pulled so far ahead of Ilford I'm about to switch from TMY-2 to HP5+. The price delta is just too convincing.

Hey Simon, any chance of bringing back Delta 400 in sheets, please please?

Interesting, the prices for 120 still seem quite comparable to Ilford. They seem to be trying to make up for reduced demand for sheet film by charging higher prices, like the kid who wants $500 for a glass of lemonade because he'll only need one customer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Yell all we want at Kodak for their stupid management or Fuji for it's supposed moronic marketing department but as much as we might love film we're not buying enough. That's the bottom line, in more ways than one.
    I'm buying, and shooting, way more than I have time to process. I have a backlog of 29 rolls, yes twenty-nine rolls, of black and white to develop, 22 in 120 and 7 in 35mm, plus maybe a half dozen sheets. And I have 12 rolls of color sitting here on my desk now ready to pack up and ship to Dwayne's. Exactly how much more should I buy? I'm a hobbiest. I shoot what I can afford and have time for (and way more than I actually have time to develop and print!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot to be said for this statement. However, in the past I've found it is in part how the marketing is laid out not just overall sales. Fuji had lost business with the constant vacillation on numerous products, especially transparency film in LF. Every time they started the rumor mill the gluten & hording buying began. Yes I was guilty too with constant fear factors. I know folks who bought huge freezers and packed them with Velvia & Astia. Both in the older QL's and then cut sheets. Then the inevitable dry spells that resulted in skewing projected sales. As such, how could any company gauge the customer needs going forward on a consistent basis with the constant peak and valley of sales. It only worsened then by the cause and effect of pushing LF shooters to moving to totally different products and or worse yet sell off of gear or shelving it.
    I know at least 10 steady LF shooters who either used Velvia or Astia, not one used Provia. In the end, we all got Provia?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'm buying, and shooting, way more than I have time to process... Exactly how much more should I buy? I'm a hobbiest.
    A master roll each month, Roger. Each and every one of us. And if any one of us can't hold that pace, misses just one month, then all the layoffs, the failed business models, the stock collapse, the bankruptcies, the patent debacle, the infrastructure demolitions, all of it, it's all our fault. Like it or lump it...

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good points. Ilford benefits from being much more right-sized for the shrunken market and focused on monochrome only, but they also benefit from being very transparent and accessible. We asked for cool tone developer and a true IR film and Simon took it to the board and reported back. He had to report back "we can't do it, the market isn't big enough" but he heard our requests, took them up the line, and came back with a straight answer that didn't change three times in the next six months.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin