Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,944   Online: 769

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alaris will most likely not start a film line. It would probably take a whole new coating machine.

As for EFKE, I think they were caught in between being too small and too old. IDK. They certainly had quite a few QC issues as you say Roger.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Damn! Never has my picture taking seemed so important. I don't think I can handle the pressure.
    No worries. I seem to recall the number tossed around was something like only 35,000 rolls, give or take, of 135-36 per master roll. And that's only 48-49 rolls per hour, every hour.

We have faith in you...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    But he seems to report disaster constantly with such relish .
    You need to improve your reading comprehension. It is sorely lacking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mardi Gras film evangelism!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ok, you have me beat! And if I developed even two rolls a weekend I'd not have a backlog. And I confess the only reason I have so much color awaiting a trip to Dwyane's is that my wife and I spent an entire week doing Mardis Gras in New Orleans. Partly that's just such a colorful place and set of events it called for color, but I also knew I'd never get around to processing it all if I shot much black and white! I did shoot some 645 Tri-X in St. Louis cemetery #1 though.
    Mardi Gras is right! For the last six years I've used Mardi Gras to spread the word about film photography being alive. I caught a lifetime's worth of beads 20 years ago, so it's all about candid parade photography and documenting float designs now. Medium format days are the best. I typically set out with two or three folding cameras and a couple TLRs. A sleeve of color rolls, a sleeve of BW. Any time I notice someone giving me a long look I offer to let them look through my TLR's waist level finder. Minds blown! They often gasp that it's like the LCD screen on the back of their digital camera. Same size but no battery! I show them my technique of shooting over the heads of the crowd, upside down like a periscope. The kids love it too. Older folks often ask if film is still made and sold, and I tell them to check APUG for knowledge and community. The film is fresh, affordable, and out there at a number of online stores! (There isn't really a serious local camera/photography store anymore with serious focus on film photography. Some dabble in it, but it seems they think of us as second class citizens. For a while I took film to Bennett's in Metairie, but last time I did it was like I had grown a third eye so I stopped going. Kadairs in Baton Rouge did a ton of 6x6 color enlargements for me a year ago, but they went belly up. NOTHING in Baton Rouge anymore.)
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fujifilm Kills Two More Films

I shot one roll of Portra 400 with my Yashicamat 124 and got many compliments about the camera and a couple of directed premium parade throws, but trying to shoot a close up moving parade with an 80mm lens and WLF (no need to shoot over a crowd, we stayed at a place on Lyons right at the corner of Magazine and this was a day parade on Magazine - we had a great spot) was more than I wanted to do, not to mention the 12 shots per roll. I went back to shooting 35mm Provia 100 after that roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    I suppose if you wait about 20 years when people start losing their digital photos due to crashed drives and deteriorating media, as well as engineered obsolescence on the part of the digital mafia, people might start coming around OR the digital industry will start paying attention to image longevity. Hopefully the world supply of film will hold til then. In the meantime, play Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" one more time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Evangelism?

My three main users right now are all bellows cameras, two of them handheld. The Calumet C1 8x10/5x7/4x5, the venerable Crown Graphic 4x5, and the Fuji GF670. (I also still have my dad's 35mm Retina Ia to complete the cross-format bellows user set.)

All are kept in pristine, like-new cosmetic and mechanical condition, because I realize you only get one chance to make a first impression.

These give me almost non-stop opportunities to talk about film and quality and patience and pace and thoughtfulness and fun. APUG and Freestyle are my two most-mentioned conclusions. I always smile when I see someone, especially someone young, eyeing me curiously from across the street. I know what's coming.

And to be honest with you guys, I look forward to it. In my experience, the days of put-down abuse for using film and/or semi-antique cameras ended quite a while ago. Now it's only curiosity from the younger, and respect—sometimes mixed with envy/guilt—from the older, who still remember.

I've also mentioned before that I purposely carry a two-step stool in the back of my truck when out with the 8x10 setup. Several times I've had moms stop and ask if their kids (and sometimes not just the little ones) can look up under the cloth, just to see what's going on. One even pulled her car over to ask. I've never ever said no.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-09-2014 at 05:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 37th Exposure View Post
    I suppose if you wait about 20 years when people start losing their digital photos due to crashed drives and deteriorating media, as well as engineered obsolescence on the part of the digital mafia, people might start coming around OR the digital industry will start paying attention to image longevity.
    This reported decline in film use and the resulting discontinuation notices do not so much come from a further drive towards digital, but rather from a general decline in the overall photographic market. For those who didn't know, digital camera and accessory sales are hurting badly right now.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Digital is hurting because of camera phones which already produce results far better in far worse light than consumer cameras of my youth like the 126 Instamatic and (ugh) 110s. They are more than good enough for most people. It's not that fewer photos are taken as there are almost certainly more taken than ever before. It's just that most people don't need a single purpose camera to take the kind of photos they want anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    This reported decline in film use and the resulting discontinuation notices do not so much come from a further drive towards digital, but rather from a general decline in the overall photographic market. For those who didn't know, digital camera and accessory sales are hurting badly right now.
    The big issue with digital is, everyone one thinks that their camera is good enough and there's no need to upgrade. The cameras exceed most users abilities. Even something simple as latest iphone takes great photos for 99% of the people out there.

Film has a niche market in the unique look. It really should be marketed more, since it does look very different than digital. Even if it's not the major force in the future. But with the right marketing the sales should go up by few percent.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin