Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,515   Posts: 1,598,185   Online: 809

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Several times I've had moms stop and ask if their kids (and sometimes not just the little ones) can look up under the cloth, just to see what's going on. One even pulled her car over to ask. I've never ever said no.

Ken
    I've had many similar experiences, Ken. I've never said no either. I can't count how many times I've put someone under the dark cloth. I've also explained what I'm shooting, how I'm metering, and what I plan for the finished image, for those interested. I'm not looking for converts... just hoping people learn there are people who care about their craft, even if their craft is seen as archaic and has been (seemingly) marginalized. Sharing one's passion is fun...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    No worries. I seem to recall the number tossed around was something like only 35,000 rolls, give or take, of 135-36 per master roll. And that's only 48-49 rolls per hour, every hour.

We have faith in you...

Ken
    Oh man. Can't talk, gotta shoot. Anybody got a motor drive for an 8x10?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Sharing one's passion is fun...
    The moms will wade right in where the dads are sometimes reluctant to tread. When it comes to doing something for their kids, the moms are fearless. Nothing stops them. Sometimes they'll even take a peek as well.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Digital is hurting because of camera phones which already produce results far better in far worse light than consumer cameras of my youth like the 126 Instamatic and (ugh) 110s. They are more than good enough for most people. It's not that fewer photos are taken as there are almost certainly more taken than ever before. It's just that most people don't need a single purpose camera to take the kind of photos they want anymore.
    Again, I think it's a matter of complaicency on the part of the manufacturers.

I notice that more and more people become interested in photography because they have started taking photos with their phones. They want a real camera to take better pictures.

But for many people the learning curve from instagraming snapshots with presets, to editing raw files in Lightroom is too great. I've had to help quite a lot of people undrstand the workflow. Unfortunately, many of them think it's too much work.

That's one of the problems with analogue film today. Apart from a few pro labs, it'll take a couple of weeks to have a film developed. And the scans are usually very poor. Most people are not interested in investing time and money into developing or scanning at home.

I think the manufacturers really should take some steps to make life easier for the transition customers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Anybody got a motor drive for an 8x10?
    Um, Ansel Adams used a station wagon with a platform on top...

I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post

I notice that more and more people become interested in photography because they have started taking photos with their phones. They want a real camera to take better pictures.

But for many people the learning curve from instagraming snapshots with presets, to editing raw files in Lightroom is too great. I've had to help quite a lot of people undrstand the workflow. Unfortunately, many of them think it's too much work.

That's one of the problems with analogue film today. Apart from a few pro labs, it'll take a couple of weeks to have a film developed. And the scans are usually very poor. Most people are not interested in investing time and money into developing or scanning at home.

I think the manufacturers really should take some steps to make life easier for the transition customers.
    If someone can come up with correctly priced product which offers development, scan and internet upload, a lot more of the Instagram generation people would pick it up. But none of the current manufacturers is even aware of sites like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Not to mention how to integrate their services with them.

Drop of your film and few hours later it's on Facebook or Flickr. It can't be that hard!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Digital is hurting because of camera phones which already produce results far better in far worse light than consumer cameras of my youth like the 126 Instamatic and (ugh) 110s. They are more than good enough for most people. It's not that fewer photos are taken as there are almost certainly more taken than ever before. It's just that most people don't need a single purpose camera to take the kind of photos they want anymore.
    The movie clip on that page is 95% the guy reading his poster, but the final 5% are interesting: nope, it's not the camera phones alone. Camera phones will eat into P&S sales, but shouldn't much affect DSLR sales, yet DSLRs were down by a whopping 19% last year.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    The movie clip on that page is 95% the guy reading his poster, but the final 5% are interesting: nope, it's not the camera phones alone. Camera phones will eat into P&S sales, but shouldn't much affect DSLR sales, yet DSLRs were down by a whopping 19% last year.
    I beg to differ most people have a mobile almost all mobiles have cams... most people have hours of mpeg music on their phones.
    DSLRs and mirrorless cams are for people who think they need quality and can load a memory card...
    There are many more cameras carried about and in use today than 40 years ago, cause they are a lot easier to use.
    Market saturation can reduce sales eg if DSLR stop improving and are more reliable... and people may prefer the real time screen view - gbag space is the final frontier.
    The film industries scale was funded by cine and P&S most families had a camera by 1960 and shot one film on holiday subsequently there was colour and then mini labs colour was in effect cheaper and more convenient than mono...
    They went to cinema twice a week 2 films and free news cast each day
    It is not unknown I get stopped in street by a stranger and need to unload & load a 35mm film, eg people borrow a camera for holiday trip...
    One reason SLRs were popular was you needed to take the cap off the lens.
    Yesterday I needed to explain how you metered with a manual camera to two DSLR camera people, /16 that side of street, /5.6 this side...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaf-Photo View Post

I don't know that the problem is with manufacturers so much as society, though. Not that many people want to invest time and energy into learning ANYTHING anymore. It has to be instant and easy or its too much trouble.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Efke also suffered from a peculiar catch 22 in not selling enough to keep repairs up or manage good QC and bad QC severely impacted their sales, at least to judge from what I read here and on LFPF.
    EFKE seem to suffered from letting themselves get into a price race concerning their Efke branded standard portfolio.

But, with the market decreasing and the huge necessary investments to even prolong production a concept of selling as long as possible at low profit even seems valid.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-10-2014 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin