Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,023   Online: 906

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mentioned above, it was announed mid 2013. A wonderful film I've been buying up as I could. It's expensive stuff so I just get a few rolls at a time for the freezer. I like to shoot it in 35mm for projection. Great slides, great film for shade or overcast days. I prefer the color and contrast for most scenes to Provia 100 as it's not quite as contrasty or saturated and looks more real to me with less tendency to blow out highlights. In that sense it was almost my replacement for E100G, which had been my replacement for Astia, with the benefit of two stops more speed albeit the cost of more (but not bad for a 400 slide film) grain. Sigh.

I'm not sure how well a slide film this fast will keep even frozen, though. I'd think at least a couple of years past date, probably more. I can probably afford to buy up all I'll want to use this year and next. After that - well it's either give up slides in all but good light, push 100 two stops, get some of that 200 from Germany and push it, or maybe shoot B&W slides for dr5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Projecting slides has turned into a rich man's game. Between film and processing you are probably in $25.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something like that. Doesn't seem like a "rich man's game" though. It's certainly for the truly poverty stricken though, I agree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Projecting slides has turned into a rich man's game. Between film and processing you are probably in $25.
    Not in China. $5 a roll of Provia, $5 a roll developed. This is really slide film country.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Over here, local stock has been abour $40+ AUD for a single 35mm roll for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I can still easily by Kodak Ektachrome at the film shops I buy from. There are hundreds of rolls of this film still around in the store and this was discontinued loooong ago.

Yeah I'm ordering E100G in 120 every 2 weeks or so from China atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'm not sure how well a slide film this fast will keep even frozen, though.

Small modification to first dev should remove the light base fogging that would develop over decades frozen. Should be if I can do this to very bad fogging from very old EPN stored in a cupboard, shouldn't be too hard.

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I should start stockpiling it then while they still sell it everywhere. It's about 44USD for a five pack here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Provia 400X film was discontinued in all formats, the announcement came out in mid-2013. What you are seeing is likely just remaining supplies being solid off.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/20/fuji...0x-slide-film/
    That is from Fujifilm North America, which is known. The question now is if it is completely out of production, or only discontinued some places.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just developed 2 120 rolls of provia 400 today. only cost me about $2 per roll or so. do it yourself and the cost drops and if there is a mess up i only have myself to blame. yes the cost per roll is not cheap but i bought 5 120 pro packs with a 3/15 ex date about 6 weeks ago for $40 us each. this is about the same cost as velvia 50. if you look you can find it kinda cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hum, I've ordered "Agfa Precisa" (in quotes because it's really Provia 100, I'm pretty sure) from Hong Kong for entirely minor shipping costs. Wonder if I could get Provia 400X cheaper from Asia? I'm paying about $17 a roll for it from the remaining suppliers here. I can get it cheaper but then shipping is more so the best deals are still turning out to be around $17-$18 per roll. $8.95 per roll plus shipping (which is $4.50 for the first roll, 0.50 each additional so I wait until I have four rolls or more) from Dwayne's, puts the cost at about $26 per roll. I also get a photo CD of (not the best, but ok for reference) scans for another $4.95 but that's definitely optional for projection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    just developed 2 120 rolls of provia 400 today. only cost me about $2 per roll or so. do it yourself and the cost drops and if there is a mess up i only have myself to blame. yes the cost per roll is not cheap but i bought 5 120 pro packs with a 3/15 ex date about 6 weeks ago for $40 us each. this is about the same cost as velvia 50. if you look you can find it kinda cheap.
    I've done E6 before and have a Jobo. The only reason I DON'T is...well, two reasons, one I'd seldom get around to it. I currently have a backlog of 29 rolls, yes twenty nine rolls, of black and white (22 120s and 7 35mm) to develop, stashed in the "exposed" section of my film fridge. The other reason is that I have no way of scanning them short of sending them off for expensive individual scans. It's just convenient to send off a batch and get it all at once.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin