Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,350   Online: 1197

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by duparis00 View Post
    Update. My cousin did find 400x in China and is shipping me a couple boxes of 120 and 35mm. I didn't want to bother him with getting me a ton but at least it seems relatively easy to find there, it's not expensive either.
    China is a slide shooter's heaven at the moment. Provia 100F and 400X are everywhere, along with a TON of Kodak E-6 film. All very nicely priced around $5 a roll for 120 film. Processing is also very cheap here too, at around $5 a roll.

I'm not sure I will restock any color negative film while I am here as I should be taking advantage of these good prices.

Fuji 400H by contrast is $9 a roll here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    China is a slide shooter's heaven at the moment. Provia 100F and 400X are everywhere, along with a TON of Kodak E-6 film. All very nicely priced around $5 a roll for 120 film. Processing is also very cheap here too, at around $5 a roll.

I'm not sure I will restock any color negative film while I am here as I should be taking advantage of these good prices.

Fuji 400H by contrast is $9 a roll here!
    Man...I had no idea it's like that I haven't been back there since 2005. I really need to make a trip there happen in the next few years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man I need to hit China up! I almost feel like a chunk of me has been taken away or at least I missed the boat with all the slide film going away...now it seams I can only get crazy wacky color slide film, which is fine since I like that sometimes but I also like slide film that makes humans look normal! I just bought three rolls of 135 E100VS for a price I would rather not admit and two rolls of Provia 400X for a price I would also not like to admit > and this was only after I dug through eBay to find some E100G and Astia 100F that wasn't listed as "Lomography expired!!! Awesome lomo-film" *Sigh*....Not sure if the forum permits it but is there a thread where users can posts there "sources" for film thats been discontinued? I want to record the world in E100G before its gone but even with money in the bank (well less now since I just bought a Fuji GW690, 3 rolls of E100VS, two of Provia and a ton of Ektar 100 and Portra 400...) its hard to even find the stuff, its just frustrating, I'm sure some other photographers can attest to this. I'm primarily looking for E100G in 120 but Astia 100F in 120 also works. Any advice would be truly appreciated! As much as I love the look of Ektar 100, it does not yeild a positive transparency and really their just is something about Ektachrome that makes me excited! How does Provia 100F look when pushed to EI400? Does it compare to Provia 400X or even the first version of Provia 400? Or is the color shift massive and not worth it unless your going for the look. I don't mind pushing film, I just hesitate with slide film more often since it can go awray allot easier...

EDIT: One way to tell when the last stock of a discontinued film is really running out is when those expiration dates on the wrappers start to get nearer and nearer to present time...maybe obvious but worth mentioning since the rolls of E100VS I ordered were all 12/2013 and 01/2014, Provia 400X was 06/2014 and the one roll of Velvia 100F was 11/2014, although despite liking Velvia 100F its not as important to me as the other films, I got it since it was $4.50 on B&H vs nearly $8 for Velvia 100 and I just needed some 120 to stock up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I've done E6 before and have a Jobo. The only reason I DON'T is...well, two reasons, one I'd seldom get around to it. I currently have a backlog of 29 rolls, yes twenty nine rolls, of black and white (22 120s and 7 35mm) to develop, stashed in the "exposed" section of my film fridge. The other reason is that I have no way of scanning them short of sending them off for expensive individual scans. It's just convenient to send off a batch and get it all at once.
    This is true about being easier to send off and have scanned all at once. I use North Coast Photo Services and its $2.25 per frame of any type of 35mm or 120 slide or negative while if you have the scans done with the processing its 11.95 which is a considerable addition to the cost but IMO much easier and NCPS scans are some of the finest I've ever seen, you get 16.8megapixel scans for 35mm and 35megapixel scans for 6x9 120 film. They develop using dip and dunk and not just for E-6 but for everything. Its likely I will start sending off even my C-41 to them vs going to the drug store since I now have a considerable amount of negatives that I want scanned at high resolution and its going to be a pain to get them organized and scanned for cheap (although I actually have my negs that are special that need scanning mounted to keep them organized, the mounts come apart very easy so its no big deal)...off topic but I thought I would just offer my .02cents...
    Last edited by nateo200; 03-23-2014 at 01:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just hope provia 100F stays in production. That can apparently be pushed to 400 without any issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It can, but 400 can be similarly pushed to 1600 or therabouts. No matter how you slice it, the 400 is two stops faster than the 100. Give them both two stop pushes and that's still true. Plus the 400 has lower contrast and saturation that is just right to me to look vibrant but realistic - oddly enough it became my preferred replacement for E100G after that went away, after it had become my replacement for Astia after that went away, even though Provia 100F was available. I just like the color and contrast of the 400 better any time the extra grain or speed are not issues. (And now price though - the Agfa stuff that's apparenty rebranded Provia 100F is a real bargain in slide films now.)

Shooter
    35mm
    and now provia400X is going away...

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    It's a pity there is not a film resource section as I have tonnes of hard to get expired films in stock.
    someone on here has already snapped up all my E100G in 35mm and all my astia but I might have some E100G in 120 in storage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It can, but 400 can be similarly pushed to 1600 or therabouts. No matter how you slice it, the 400 is two stops faster than the 100. Give them both two stop pushes and that's still true. Plus the 400 has lower contrast and saturation that is just right to me to look vibrant but realistic - oddly enough it became my preferred replacement for E100G after that went away, after it had become my replacement for Astia after that went away, even though Provia 100F was available. I just like the color and contrast of the 400 better any time the extra grain or speed are not issues. (And now price though - the Agfa stuff that's apparenty rebranded Provia 100F is a real bargain in slide films now.)
    Pretty much what I was going to say...I'm mad at myself because I bought a roll of 400X and only shot it at 400! Ugh...I'm wonder how well Provia 100F can be pushed to 800...I've seen it at 400 and it looks natural, not quite like true Provia 400X but good enough with my only caveat being you have to tell your lab to push process and depending on where you go it costs extra, for me $2.50 is worth it easily especially since I routinely send in batches of 120 with 12 rolls at a time to save on shipping.

Side note about E100G: I think I literally cleared an entire fridge from this guy in Texas! I bought a pro-pack and then I got the bug when I realized that its the only slide film left that has not stupid high saturation and contrast! I mean other than Astia 100F of course...but Astia 100F on eBay is stupid expensive compared to E100G....I have one roll of E100G left....gonna save it for a portrait/candid session but its so tempting to use it on other stuff! Bought some Provia 100F and Velvia 100F for normal stuff though. I really like Velvia 100F...I don't get why everyone hates on it, I like it better than Velvia 100 (but not Velvia 50).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Use a single coated lens for reduced saturation best to use a hood as well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E100G is a great film. I've still got about 15 rolls or so (and no, they're not for sale. They're for use!)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin