Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,261   Posts: 1,660,578   Online: 810

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just hope provia 100F stays in production. That can apparently be pushed to 400 without any issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It can, but 400 can be similarly pushed to 1600 or therabouts. No matter how you slice it, the 400 is two stops faster than the 100. Give them both two stop pushes and that's still true. Plus the 400 has lower contrast and saturation that is just right to me to look vibrant but realistic - oddly enough it became my preferred replacement for E100G after that went away, after it had become my replacement for Astia after that went away, even though Provia 100F was available. I just like the color and contrast of the 400 better any time the extra grain or speed are not issues. (And now price though - the Agfa stuff that's apparenty rebranded Provia 100F is a real bargain in slide films now.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    and now provia400X is going away...

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    It's a pity there is not a film resource section as I have tonnes of hard to get expired films in stock.
    someone on here has already snapped up all my E100G in 35mm and all my astia but I might have some E100G in 120 in storage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It can, but 400 can be similarly pushed to 1600 or therabouts. No matter how you slice it, the 400 is two stops faster than the 100. Give them both two stop pushes and that's still true. Plus the 400 has lower contrast and saturation that is just right to me to look vibrant but realistic - oddly enough it became my preferred replacement for E100G after that went away, after it had become my replacement for Astia after that went away, even though Provia 100F was available. I just like the color and contrast of the 400 better any time the extra grain or speed are not issues. (And now price though - the Agfa stuff that's apparenty rebranded Provia 100F is a real bargain in slide films now.)
    Pretty much what I was going to say...I'm mad at myself because I bought a roll of 400X and only shot it at 400! Ugh...I'm wonder how well Provia 100F can be pushed to 800...I've seen it at 400 and it looks natural, not quite like true Provia 400X but good enough with my only caveat being you have to tell your lab to push process and depending on where you go it costs extra, for me $2.50 is worth it easily especially since I routinely send in batches of 120 with 12 rolls at a time to save on shipping.

Side note about E100G: I think I literally cleared an entire fridge from this guy in Texas! I bought a pro-pack and then I got the bug when I realized that its the only slide film left that has not stupid high saturation and contrast! I mean other than Astia 100F of course...but Astia 100F on eBay is stupid expensive compared to E100G....I have one roll of E100G left....gonna save it for a portrait/candid session but its so tempting to use it on other stuff! Bought some Provia 100F and Velvia 100F for normal stuff though. I really like Velvia 100F...I don't get why everyone hates on it, I like it better than Velvia 100 (but not Velvia 50).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Use a single coated lens for reduced saturation best to use a hood as well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E100G is a great film. I've still got about 15 rolls or so (and no, they're not for sale. They're for use!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a recent shot done with Elite Chrome. Another great film. After shooting and projecting every slide film available in the past few years, I have no idea how Fuji products won the chrome battle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22953190@N07/14073773980/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With they hyper saturation of Velvia.

On the more realistic side they had what I think was possibly the best slide film ever in Astia. But the loud crowd (Velvia) won over the realistic crowd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    With they hyper saturation of Velvia.

On the more realistic side they had what I think was possibly the best slide film ever in Astia. But the loud crowd (Velvia) won over the realistic crowd.
    I think the reason velvia "won" was because of the times, how and what people are shooting. in the last 10 years or so, the average person who was mainly shooting quick snap shots, or more likely, people shots, went to digital. I would assume had they not went to digital or it was never an aoption, they would be using the lower contrast lower saturation films everyone has mentioned. that left more of the landscape shooters, who have preferred (not always) the more velvia like films. most of the serious landscape/ thing shooters stuck with film or use it alongside digital. so those type of films outsold over the last few years, the more people type films. I would assume if you looked a film sales spreadsheet for say kodak over the last 10 or so years, you would see a trend showing that. hence the reason they left slides all together. same for fuji. they continued to show strong sales of velvia styles and less so with astia and 400x. hence the reason they let them go alongside their neg films.

Also, more people when they did shoot film, shot c41 for people sales. hence kodak dropped all reversal films and focused on neg films wioth Portra being their main film and trying to keep the saturation people happy with Ektar. fuji dropped their neg films except one and their mellower slide films and kept the saturation over the top films. unfortunatly its marketing 101. keep making whats selling and drop whats not.

if sales of provia 100 went up substantially maybe fuji would take notice and bring back 400x. i see no reason they would bring back astia though. and forget kodak. its now being run as a business as a stand alone. at least fuji is a much larger more diversified company and could continue to carry less volume films in their catalog. At least they still make new med format cameras.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin