Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,336   Online: 984

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a recent shot done with Elite Chrome. Another great film. After shooting and projecting every slide film available in the past few years, I have no idea how Fuji products won the chrome battle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22953190@N07/14073773980/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With they hyper saturation of Velvia.

On the more realistic side they had what I think was possibly the best slide film ever in Astia. But the loud crowd (Velvia) won over the realistic crowd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    With they hyper saturation of Velvia.

On the more realistic side they had what I think was possibly the best slide film ever in Astia. But the loud crowd (Velvia) won over the realistic crowd.
    I think the reason velvia "won" was because of the times, how and what people are shooting. in the last 10 years or so, the average person who was mainly shooting quick snap shots, or more likely, people shots, went to digital. I would assume had they not went to digital or it was never an aoption, they would be using the lower contrast lower saturation films everyone has mentioned. that left more of the landscape shooters, who have preferred (not always) the more velvia like films. most of the serious landscape/ thing shooters stuck with film or use it alongside digital. so those type of films outsold over the last few years, the more people type films. I would assume if you looked a film sales spreadsheet for say kodak over the last 10 or so years, you would see a trend showing that. hence the reason they left slides all together. same for fuji. they continued to show strong sales of velvia styles and less so with astia and 400x. hence the reason they let them go alongside their neg films.

Also, more people when they did shoot film, shot c41 for people sales. hence kodak dropped all reversal films and focused on neg films wioth Portra being their main film and trying to keep the saturation people happy with Ektar. fuji dropped their neg films except one and their mellower slide films and kept the saturation over the top films. unfortunatly its marketing 101. keep making whats selling and drop whats not.

if sales of provia 100 went up substantially maybe fuji would take notice and bring back 400x. i see no reason they would bring back astia though. and forget kodak. its now being run as a business as a stand alone. at least fuji is a much larger more diversified company and could continue to carry less volume films in their catalog. At least they still make new med format cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I shoot landscapes and can't resist one when I see it and have slide film in the camera (though more often if setting out to shoot them I'll take my view camera or a medium format camera, and if I plan color Ektar or sometimes Portra.) But if it's sunny most lanscapes just exceed the range of Velvia significantly. Also I suspect those landscape shooters you mention are working in hybrid mode - have to be these days if they are going to present their work as anything other than a transparency on a light box. (Well I suppose they might be making internegatives but I doubt that's very common.) And that means digital post processing for things like contrast and squeezing the most detail from near-blown or near-blank areas. If people were still printing on Type R or, even more so, Ilfochrome I think you'd see more preference for lower contrast.

I can't get along with Velvia at all. I've tried. It's just too darned contrasty. I liked E100VS better but that was problematic. It's fine for controlled studio light if you need the saturation (still lifes, saturated product shots?) but I don't really do that. It's fine for overcast days to add some contrast and saturation and when I've gotten good results that's been the case, but it's too darned slow for best use on those days. The 100 is workable. But dim overcast really wants a tripod for 50 or even 100 and for me that usually means I have my medium format or 4x5 gear along and that means I won't be projecting the results and that means black and white or C41...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin