Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,906   Online: 934

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Provia 400X really discontinued in 35mm ?

I live in Tokyo and Provia 400X is available in every camera and electronics store. Is this only discontinued outside of Japan?
    When I google for it, I keep on seeing that Fujifilm discontinued it back in the summer of 2013. Would there still be this much stock around?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is still listed by Fuji as 120x1, 135x1 and 135x5. At least at their homemarket.

Listed by Fuji in Germany in 120 and 135 too.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-07-2014 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Discontinuation is a ambiguous term anyway. It may be that they stopped manufacture long ago, then stopped offering it at some foreign markets, still offering it in Japan, then short before end of stock release a discontinuation statement.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Provia 400X film was discontinued in all formats, the announcement came out in mid-2013. What you are seeing is likely just remaining supplies being solid off.

http://petapixel.com/2013/07/20/fuji...0x-slide-film/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a guess, but IF it really were not discontinued (meaning no longer being manufactured) in the Japanese market, wouldn't it have been in the best interests of some of the larger non-Japanese film retailers (Freestyle, B&H, etc. in the USA, and others outside the USA) to do the self-importing gray market thing? They do this now, and have done it in the past, with many other items they sell. Equipment as well as film.

But I don't see any Provia 400-X listed as an imported item by any of them. Maybe they know the real story?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't get any from the big 2 in NYC anymore

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm surprised there's not more stock still left based on what the prices went to. I liked 400X but not for what they started asking for it...... I think I saw it up to $16 US a roll. Too much for me, even if it was the only ISO 400 E6 game in town.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    wouldn't it have been in the best interests of some of the larger non-Japanese film retailers (Freestyle, B&H, etc. in the USA, and others outside the USA) to do the self-importing gray market thing?
    Yeah, but they (at least, B+H) seem to have an aversion to doing it with Fuji film. The new velvia 50 in 4x5 has been out in Japan for nearly a year (I know because I've got a packet in the new style straight from Japan), but B+H still don't carry it.
    Also, they don't have any other imported velvia, there is velvia 100/120 in single and 5-roll packs listed as 'imported' and discontinued and out of stock, the only velvia they've got in stock is 'usa'.

More than likely they've been leant on by the local usa fuji distributor, to the effect that if they source stuff grey market direct from Japan, then the distributor will stop selling them the rest of the line including all of Fuji's nice digital cameras which are quite popular and carry a decent markup.
    I know that's happened before with other brands of things, and it's not worth risking the big-ticket items to save a few rolls of the low-volume films...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    ...and it's not worth risking the big-ticket items to save a few rolls of the low-volume films...
    Yeah. That's a pretty logical take on it. Can't say as I would disagree. I do miss the 35mm. It was my airshow fly-by film in my motorized Nikon F2. Provia 100F just doesn't cut it for those high-speed passes on overcast days.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can still easily by Kodak Ektachrome at the film shops I buy from. There are hundreds of rolls of this film still around in the store and this was discontinued loooong ago.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin