Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,353   Posts: 1,682,579   Online: 923

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's your separate C-41 bleach and fix:

http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/k...-film-1173319/

Ignore the product description; it's useless. The kit includes one liter each of bleach and fix. The bleach can be used straight, the fixer is diluted 1+1 with water.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    The only thing you need to read is the manual that comes with the chemicals. BTW - our kit has bleach and fix separate, though there is nothing wrong with using a kit that has blix.
    What's "your kit" and where is it sold? PM me if you have to. MA is close to here, but I'd be ordering.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I live in a suburban area pretty representative of the non-city northeast US. I had been able to get C-41 processed at Costco for $1.59 until now.

I shoot for a weekly newspaper, and I occasionally shoot film for assignments for various reasons. I just might have to learn to process C-41 myself...but I'm not happy about the lack of quality chemistry available.
    Given the pay rates of most newspapers these days how do you justify the time and expense of color neg when digital will provide you with superior quality with no cost of sales?
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWO View Post
    Really? When did it reopen? That is great news!
    For some reason or another they got the processor fixed.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I live in a suburban area pretty representative of the non-city northeast US. I had been able to get C-41 processed at Costco for $1.59 until now.

I shoot for a weekly newspaper, and I occasionally shoot film for assignments for various reasons.

Yesterday, I called my local Costco just make sure their processor was up and working, in anticipation of shooting a roll of Fuji 800Z.
    I was told they ran the last roll on Monday. The processor broke down, and this time it was too expensive to fix it for the small number of film rolls going through it.

For me, this is the demise of local mainstream color film processing.

I just might have to learn to process C-41 myself...but I'm not happy about the lack of quality chemistry available.
    hi,
    are you looking for a local lab or a send out service?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...-services.html

some listings with personal experiences listed.

if you dont mind setting up an account,
    parker has had wonderful experiences with
    millers. they are a pro lab with a great reputation ...

Shooter
    35mm
    I can justify film on an occasional basis because this is a sideline gig, and I'm often taking pictures for my portfolio. I don't have full frame digital, so when I need a very wide angle lens, or a quiet camera, film is the thing. Mostly I just shoot film for fun and for my own work.

I'm going to look into the Rollei kit as well as the one from the Jobo distributor who posted above. I'm so new to color processing, I don't even know where to start.

Do I have to save up a lot of film to do all at once to make it worthwhile? Problem with that is it would require a ton of developing tanks and reels.

Also, are plastic reels and tanks ok? I just can't load stainless steel reels...hate them.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm doing C-41 one shot now with the Kodak chemicals, but I started with the Rollei kit. If you store the developer in a container that allows you to "squeeze out" the excess air, then the developer could last for weeks, months -- some push it up to a year. So there's no need to develop everything at once, as in one session. You're better off not to procrastinate though. Each time you reuse the developer, you're exposing it to air, the possibility of contamination, diluting it more if you prewash, and just bringing it closer to exhaustion by developing. Time is one more variable that you don't need, so it's best to minimize it.

Some people adjust the developing times for each roll past the first or second. Poke around the forums a little bit.

Plastic tanks and reels are fine. It's what I use. Just clean them with very hot water after each session; the stabilizer/final rinse isn't good for them.
    Last edited by bvy; 03-09-2014 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    ............... digital will provide you with superior quality with no cost of sales?
    Quicker, yes, better, no. IMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

DWO

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    For some reason or another they got the processor fixed.

Jeff
    I called both locations. Henrico is stopping development tomorrow. Midlothian will still have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWO View Post
    I called both locations. Henrico is stopping development tomorrow. Midlothian will still have it.
    Thanks for the info. Henrico is closer to my house, but those are the breaks.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin