Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,354   Online: 841

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

My local Costco is done with film developing

I live in a suburban area pretty representative of the non-city northeast US. I had been able to get C-41 processed at Costco for $1.59 until now.

I shoot for a weekly newspaper, and I occasionally shoot film for assignments for various reasons.

Yesterday, I called my local Costco just make sure their processor was up and working, in anticipation of shooting a roll of Fuji 800Z.
    I was told they ran the last roll on Monday. The processor broke down, and this time it was too expensive to fix it for the small number of film rolls going through it.

For me, this is the demise of local mainstream color film processing.

I just might have to learn to process C-41 myself...but I'm not happy about the lack of quality chemistry available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It isn't as hard as you think it is. If I can do it, anybody can.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    It isn't hard to process your own C-41 film, but it is time consuming and relatively expensive. You, like many others have, will have to decide if it is still worth shooting film for your newspaper work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The photo lab at my local Costco treated me very well and had great prices on C41 developing. They stopped processing a few years ago. After a few bad and unsatisfactory results at other places, I started to do it myself with good results. Be methodical with time, temp and agitation and all will turn out well. Presently I use the Jobo/Tetenal C41 powder kit- about US $20 for 12 rolls.
    Look at places like B+H or Freestyle. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My local Costco (West Henrico, VA) closed down a while back for the same reason, but now they reopen it!

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    I just might have to learn to process C-41 myself...but I'm not happy about the lack of quality chemistry available.
    There are at least 3 liquid kits out there, they all offer the same level of "quality" as well as several powder kits if you must.

Cost per roll on most 5 liter kits is under 80cents, in some cases closer to 50 cents.
    C-41 is one of the easiest, most forgiving processes out there.

If you shoot a bunch of film, over the course of a year or two DIY will have paid for it self several times over, and you shoot small amounts, you need to calculate the cost of sending the film out, add shipping cost, and make an annual cost to compare.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm
    How's the current version of the Rollei C-41 kit available at Freestyle? I hear it uses Blix now, and was concerned about archival issues. But I read PE's posts from 2009 on the subject, which said there is no archival stability issue...just a potential image quality issue, especially with faster films and push processing, due to retained silver.

Also, any references that are a must-read for someone who has never done C-41 and would be starting from the beginning?

Btw, the Nikon N80 is an awesome camera when you have to be quiet but still want to use an SLR. My DSLRs are much louder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B&Wpositive View Post
    Also, any references that are a must-read for someone who has never done C-41 and would be starting from the beginning?
    The only thing you need to read is the manual that comes with the chemicals. BTW - our kit has bleach and fix separate, though there is nothing wrong with using a kit that has blix.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

DWO

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    My local Costco (West Henrico, VA) closed down a while back for the same reason, but now they reopen it!

Jeff
    Really? When did it reopen? That is great news!

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used the Rollei Digibase kit from Freestyle both before the Blix and after and don't see any difference on scanned images. But, I have not made any prints from the negatives processed with the new blix version with the RA process so there could be some differences. I would really like to see the blix go away and get back to a bleach and fix process. The earlier digibase kits were exceptional.

As far as push processing I have no experience, I have developed Fuji Pro160S, Portra 160VC and Portra 400 at box speed and it looks good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin