Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,242   Online: 700

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    LISTEN UP:

I just spoke with Praus (a kodak certified lab) and he said there's nothing to worry about, that Fuji chemistry is easy to obtain and just as good and kodak isn't giving him any trouble over using Fuji E6 chemistry since they aren't selling their own anymore. So essentially we have nothing to worry about and this will boost Fuji E6 chemistry sales.

Perhaps this might help Fuji keep E6 films around just a bit longer...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keeping the best of thoughts on the subject at this point.......thanks for the update.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    LISTEN UP:

I just spoke with Praus (a kodak certified lab) and he said there's nothing to worry about, that Fuji chemistry is easy to obtain and just as good and kodak isn't giving him any trouble over using Fuji E6 chemistry since they aren't selling their own anymore. So essentially we have nothing to worry about and this will boost Fuji E6 chemistry sales.

Hey StoneNYC, thanks for the update. Glad to see another person from metro-NY mails their slide film upstate for Edgar Praus (4 rolls should come back in the mail to me today!). Even better to hear that 4 Photo/Praus Productions is planning on sticking around and will continue just fine with E6 chemicals.

Maybe there isn't enough marketshare for two companies to make E6 chemicals and be profitable (due to the economies of scale) but maybe it is still big enough for just Fuji (plus whatever small handful of other organizations are out there).

For those of you looking for a great lab, check out http://www.4photolab.com -- they just redid the site and the service has always been awesome. I feel bad that I only shoot a dozen or so rolls a year.

--Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From some of the data I heard, all reversal films were more Pro oriented than Consumer oriented. A major portion of production of E6 and Kodachrome went to Nat. Geog. AAMOF.

Also, although Fred has a point about E6 going downhill before digital, the big drops I report came from a similar lunch for KRL retirees and a talk given by an EK VP. So, there are some bits of cross information. It seems that the major drop I heard of was in 2005, again, the year that Agfa and Ilford ran into problems.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    while fuji does make a 5L E6 kit, fuji didn't sell an E6 kit here in the states, nor will they so don't waste your time with asking.....
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    no slides were never consumer that is why kchrome disappeared.

Where did you get that information?

(By the way, recently (when professionals long turned digital) in stationary sales twice as much slide films were sold in Germany than b&w films.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    But digital can, if you're into that.

I like slide film, but I still shoot it for projection. I stopped shooting it for other purposes once I started printing RA4.

Anyone else remember Agfa Ultra 50? Now there was a super saturated neg film!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agfa ultra. Yes that was some palette! I recently scanned some old 120 negs. Nothing quite like it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Agfa ultra. Yes that was some palette! I recently scanned some old 120 negs. Nothing quite like it.
    I still have 20 rolls of 120 in the freezer. Used some up this year in Antarctica and Tibet. It's keeping my stock of APX 25 company.

Shooter
    35mm
    If slides were never consumer, why could you get Kodachrome 64 in 126 for your Instamatic camera back in the day? I vividly remember going to a big box store in the late 70s or early 80s and they had the Kodacolor in 126 in the back room but you could get the Kodachrome from behind the photo desk.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I said "more pro oriented" not "completely pro oriented". So yes, there were consumer products out there.

And the Agfa films I had kept poorly even in the freezer, and some faded after processing.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin