Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,599   Online: 885

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    When I worked on Ektacolor paper (71-76) the consumer use of color reversal vs. color negative was very market dependent; the US was heavily color neg and Europe (especially Germany) was heavily color reversal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Fred, and that was the target for Directachrome which went out, but then was cancelled due to low sales. IDK what happened, but after that it was a roller coaster for reversal. Especially consumer.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    while fuji does make a 5L E6 kit, fuji didn't sell an E6 kit here in the states, nor will they so don't waste your time with asking.....
    Despite a very definite response in the negative to any likelihood of Fuji launching a kit in the U.S. I am unsure why Fuji will never choose to do this. I would have thought that it has to be a bigger market than say the U.K. or any other European country and in Europe.

It seems to have established a real foothold in the lab market in the U.S. and while there might be kit competitors in the U.S. there are competitors in the U.K. and the rest of Europe.

So what is the key difference that enables those who say the answer is "never" to be so sure?

A genuine question on my part as I haven't seen or have missed the reasons why the NO response should be so categorical

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Despite a very definite response in the negative to any likelihood of Fuji launching a kit in the U.S. I am unsure why Fuji will never choose to do this. I would have thought that it has to be a bigger market than say the U.K. or any other European country and in Europe.

It seems to have established a real foothold in the lab market in the U.S. and while there might be kit competitors in the U.S. there are competitors in the U.K. and the rest of Europe.

So what is the key difference that enables those who say the answer is "never" to be so sure?

A genuine question on my part as I haven't seen or have missed the reasons why the NO response should be so categorical

pentaxuser
    Fuji has little to do with consumers, its one of those marketing strategies, just how they handle business in the US.
    There are probably other, more tangible reasons such as:
    The cost of creating, licensing, and importing a product in to the US, then making it withstand all the local, state and federal regulations for transport, home use etc etc etc (the list is LONG), is higher then anything this or even a 1000 times larger market might ever offer.
    Other reasons may be the same as those of anyone who is not making a business monetary investment in film related products (cant think of many companies that are for that matter, though a few do)
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

pentaxuser
    My biggest hope is that film Ferrania will come out with a home kit to match their new E-6 line.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E6 is dying a rather painful death. Why put money into it?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think Film Ferrania isn't taking the business gamble hoping to lose money. They may. But I don't they are expecting to. And if they can make it work at today's market appropriate volumes, they may soon have the entire remaining world demand to themselves. That's not a bad gamble.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It seems that the major drop I heard of was in 2005, again, the year that Agfa and Ilford ran into problems.
    Agfa had been negotiating a sale of their consumer department years before.
    Finally they sold it in 2004.

Shooter
    35mm
    I want Film Ferrania to be successful, but it's been over 4 months since there was a blog post made on their site. The most recent post was November 19, 2013 and its now March 29, 2014. I'm starting to become concerned that this is more difficult than Nicola and his team thought. I wish them the best of course and am anxiously waiting to try their products out.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    E6 is dying a rather painful death. Why put money into it?

PE
    You are probably right about E6's expected death but my point was that the Fuji chemicals are already there in the U.S. and in Europe Fuji-Hunt kits exist and presumably could be exported to the U.S. in the same way Ilford exports its stuff.

That leaves CATLABs point about state regs etc. In my possible naivity I had thought that as Ilford manages to comply and presumably the chemicals themselves comply with transport regs and a Fuji kit already exists then meeting such regs would not be that difficult or expensive.

That still leaves simple inertia on the part of Fuji U.S. and/or a decision that insufficient profit will be made.Both possible reasons

I suppose my point was that in the event of all the other E6 kit makers suddenly ceasing to exist I'd be surprised if Fuji didn't then step in, given that its kits already exist. Never is such a strong word in the marketplace

pentaxuser

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin