Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,246   Posts: 1,680,290   Online: 1061

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314151617 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    The fact that the word "film" does not appear in that article is not particularly encouraging. He talks about expanding into mobile applications, more on-line stuff, and then explains how they are going to find a way to monetize the hashtag "#kodakmoment". The only mention of "photo" is in the context of their kiosk business.

It would be easier to feel encouraged if he had at least mentioned film.
    A good point. I sent the following to the editor of the Rochester Business Journal: It's interesting to note that the word 'film' doesn't appear anywhere in the article. Lots of people are hoping that Kodak Alaris doesn't give up on film. Did the topic of film come up at all during the interview?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    The fact that the word "film" does not appear in that article is not particularly encouraging... It would be easier to feel encouraged if he had at least mentioned film.
    Most probably he did not even think of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gerbershagen The new Head of Kodak Alaris says he wants input.

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Most probably he did not even think of film.
    Unfortunately hasn't this been the problem with Kodak for a while?

After years of thinking about it I believe the place where Kodak missed the boat was not failing to diversify into other imaging markets, although this is surely a component. I think where they missed their opportunity - and I am not saying I could have done better - is letting the idea of film become "old fashion" somehow.

I know a few years ago we were all complaining that it would help if they would just advertise the stuff, which they didn't.

A couple of million thrown at one of those Madison Avenue firms who can make the city dump look good wouldn't have hurt them. And the rate they were blowing through cash it would have been a blip.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 04-12-2014 at 09:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I know a few years ago we were all complaining that it would help if they would just advertise the stuff, which they didn't.
    In recent years EK practiced The Microsoft Attitude approach to marketing. If people want our products, they know where to find us. When the storm hit they then refused to defend their core technology, while simultaneously diversifying into the new markets. And those markets then blew right past them, leaving them to wither on the vine and eventually declare bankruptcy. A life of printing packages after insolvency was never the preferred or anticipated outcome.

I read a telling statistic. It said that in the year 2000 93% of all computing devices ran a flavor of Windows. By last year that percentage had dropped to 19%. The reason was the proliferation of oceans of new computing platforms that didn't even exist in 2000 and now use everything but Windows.

Sound familiar?

The Attitude will kill you every time...

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    The Attitude will kill you every time...
    And the different attitude that will win is Simon's pronouncement that Ilford has every intention of being the "last man standing" in the end.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    And the different attitude that will win is Simon's pronouncement that Ilford has every intention of being the "last man standing" in the end.
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mr. Gerbershagen appears to be every bit the modern management type, so I would not expect him to make any visionary or idealistic moves. His task is to maximize profits for least cost and keep his pensioners happy. The worldwide consumer imaging marketplace is now almost exclusively driven by smartphone snapshots and selfies. Kodak Alaris sees those daily billions of unprinted images as their bread and butter opportunity, so their focus will be on printing kiosks and the Kodak Moment app. No film is used in kiosks and iPhones.

Back in the golden era of film, the old Kodak could afford to serve the specialized interests of photo hobbyists and artists. Darkroom supplies were a niche market loss-leader made possible by stupendous profits. But no more. The old profits and the old Kodak are gone. Film itself has become a niche market product, supportable at high volume manufacturing levels only because of the residual need for color movie film. Eventually the cinemas will all be digital, the Kodak film lines will be dismantled and we will have to rely on small manufacturers like Ilford and Ferrania for our film, paper and chemical supplies. As for Kodak Alaris, whenever their kiosks no longer need chromogenic photo paper to produce a quality print, the Kodak Moment will truly be over for us analog folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, analog photography will come to an end.

All things end. In a few billion years, life will no longer be sustainable on earth. The sun will swell into a red giant, and the earth be consumed and vaporized. Not even a stone will survive. (sorry, StoneNYC)

Between now and then, I am going to go out and take pictures. I will revel in what I have, not what will someday be gone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There was photography before George Eastmann.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    Indeed, analog photography will come to an end.

All things end. In a few billion years, life will no longer be sustainable on earth. The sun will swell into a red giant, and the earth be consumed and vaporized. Not even a stone will survive. (sorry, StoneNYC)

Between now and then, I am going to go out and take pictures. I will revel in what I have, not what will someday be gone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Hehe I will always be carbon or some other form, nothing is created nor destroyed only changed...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin