Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,629   Online: 755

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The guy has had the job for 7 days. People seem to be prematurely labeling him a failure. His bio lists photography as an interest. Maybe (OK- probably not, but so what?) it's film photography. Maybe he collects photography. Maybe he cares about Kodak's history and legacy. Maybe we should wait and see how his leadership pans out, before announcing it a disaster.
    Not saying he's a failure. Or going to be one. Just saying I've been in high tech for over a quarter century. I know the thought patterns. I know the stimulus. I know the response. I know the difference between wishful thinking and not making payroll.

My point was that he may indeed be successful. And for the sake of dog food, I sincerely hope he is. But I just don't think a high tech executive is going to bet on anything other than more high tech. I recognize the patterns. They are recognizable for a reason.

And it's not that film isn't high tech. It is. It's just a completely different ballgame in a completely different ballpark. One he's likely unfamiliar with, according to his published mini-bio. Just like the inkjet printer guy was. And all of us here being the excellent students of observation that we are, we know where that more often than not leads.

To repeat, I really, really hope I'm terribly wrong this time...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The guy has had the job for 7 days. People seem to be prematurely labeling him a failure. His bio lists photography as an interest. Maybe (OK- probably not, but so what?) it's film photography. Maybe he collects photography. Maybe he cares about Kodak's history and legacy. Maybe we should wait and see how his leadership pans out, before announcing it a disaster.
    The patient is already terminally ill, let's get a plumber to treat him.l
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sent a note requesting Ektachrome be brought back. Got this response.

Dear Mr. xxxx,

The decision to discontinue the manufacture and sale of our Kodak Professional EKTACHROME films was a very difficult one. It was based on a steady decrease in demand and customer usage, coupled with a highly complex product formulation and manufacturing process. That conclusion was reached more that two (2) years ago. At this point in time, it would not be practical to try to bring these products back to market.

Although I know this is not the answer you were looking for, I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Thomas J. Mooney | Product Line Business Mgr - Film Capture |
    Personalized Imaging | 2400 Mount Read Blvd | Rochester, NY 14615 |

Shooter
    35mm
    He was brutally honest, but is anybody really surprised?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicola Baldini?
    Marco Pagni?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    He was brutally honest, but is anybody really surprised?
    Not surprised, but disappointed it seems they are following the same sales/marketing plan as before.

Shooter
    35mm
    He must plan to work from their strengths and not their weaknesses. At this point the E6 marketplace is not a strength. My best guess is that if any color films survive in the long run, they will be color negative films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Sent a note requesting Ektachrome be brought back. Got this response.

Dear Mr. xxxx,

The decision to discontinue the manufacture and sale of our Kodak Professional EKTACHROME films was a very difficult one. It was based on a steady decrease in demand and customer usage, coupled with a highly complex product formulation and manufacturing process. That conclusion was reached more that two (2) years ago. At this point in time, it would not be practical to try to bring these products back to market.

Although I know this is not the answer you were looking for, I appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Thomas J. Mooney | Product Line Business Mgr - Film Capture |
    Personalized Imaging | 2400 Mount Read Blvd | Rochester, NY 14615 |
    They just omited to write, now go forth and multiply, or something to that effect.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-08-2014 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    He must plan to work from their strengths and not their weaknesses. At this point the E6 marketplace is not a strength. My best guess is that if any color films survive in the long run, they will be color negative films.
    Unfortunately I think you're right, not that it matters to me as much because I don't shoot much Kodak at all.

I like Tri-X (actually, I like the 'old' grainy Tri-X more than the 'new' cleaner one), but their TMax is easiled replaced with Delta, and their Ektachrome I never used much, was always an RVP fan.
    Portra I don't much use, although I'm starting to get into it now that I can enlarge RA4. Porta 4x5 I might be upset if it goes as there's no other C41 4x5 anymore as far as I know, besides Ektar.

Actually, given my luck, and if for no other reason than because I'm just starting to get into it, what they'll probably kill next is Ektar, just at the point where I decide I wanna buy more of it...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KA's first loyalty is to the stakeholders. I know I want the companies in my 401K to make money. If the CEO chased off after some project that was not going to turn a profit, and burned a lot of dollars, I'm out.

Hopefully he will give his staff a chance to demonstrate there can be money in film. If they can't, or there isn't, then they have to move on.... Sad as that would be.

Meanwhile, if they could come up with a color film that would print like Kodachrome on Cibachrome, sign me up for a case of film.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin