Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 962

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wonder when EK will manufacturer the last run of their current film offerings. Heck, I wonder if they aren't already done. From what I gather, they can make in a week what it would take a year or more to sell. For all I know, they have five years worth of Ektar in cold storage, and there never will be any new manufacturing.

I just remain of the opinion that there is a massive disconnect here when it comes to scale of operations and expectations. This guy talks about being a "billion dollar" company? Please. I think realistically the future of film manufacturing will involve companies who would consider $5 million in wholesale revenue to be a very good year. I think that is the scale film people need to be planning on. Of course, the fundamental question remains of whether it is possible to product product at prices the market is willing to pay at that scale. I have no idea.

But I am reasonably certain the new KA CEO has no interest in a $5 million line of business.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    But I am reasonably certain the new KA CEO has no interest in a $5 million line of business.
    My original point, exactly...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post

I am not sure that is necessarily the case.

I am sure that there is value in the goodwill attached to Kodak film. If EK had done a better job leveraging that goodwill into other technologies, there might not have been a bankruptcy.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is such enormous angst over Kodak that it is really a very real detriment to this hobby. I get REALLY depressed by worrying over Kodak's future. This is amplified ENORMOUSLY by Kodak's near complete and total disconnect to film photographers. A little transparency would really go a long way.

There's just nothing to feel good about Kodak, other than the films, which already seem abandoned.

As Ken said, you can feel the passion at Ilford, just from Simon's posts here.

I really have enjoyed my return to film photography, except for the near constant Kodak death watch. It is a terrible part to this hobby. Couple that to Fujifilm's seemingly increasing exit from film manufacturing and again, one's salvation is left at Ilford's door.

Nothing will be better for film photographers than for the film industry finally size itself to the current reality. The sooner this is done the better. If Fujifilm and Kodak have to go, then fine, get it over with. Let Ilford, and perhaps that Italian company (can't remember how to spell their name), take over.

I really dont know how much more of this I can take.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    The decision to discontinue the manufacture and sale of our Kodak Professional EKTACHROME films was a very difficult one... At this point in time, it would not be practical to try to bring these products back to market.
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    A little transparency would really go a long way.
    Get it?

Yes, I'm that person who makes bad jokes at a funeral to lighten the mood (coz it sure feels like it, talking about Kodak sometimes)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do you worry? What's the point of worrying? What good will it do? Nothing!

Just shoot film and enjoy. If it's not there, use some other film which it is there. It's really that simple. No need to get all fanboi about it and get panties in a twist. I will shoot what I like for how long it is there.
    If it's not there, I will move on and use something else. I guess if you worry so much instead of taking photos and shooting film, there might be no film in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    There is such enormous angst over Kodak that it is really a very real detriment to this hobby. I get REALLY depressed by worrying over Kodak's future. This is amplified ENORMOUSLY by Kodak's near complete and total disconnect to film photographers. A little transparency would really go a long way.

There's just nothing to feel good about Kodak, other than the films, which already seem abandoned.

As Ken said, you can feel the passion at Ilford, just from Simon's posts here.

I really have enjoyed my return to film photography, except for the near constant Kodak death watch. It is a terrible part to this hobby. Couple that to Fujifilm's seemingly increasing exit from film manufacturing and again, one's salvation is left at Ilford's door.

Nothing will be better for film photographers than for the film industry finally size itself to the current reality. The sooner this is done the better. If Fujifilm and Kodak have to go, then fine, get it over with. Let Ilford, and perhaps that Italian company (can't remember how to spell their name), take over.

I really dont know how much more of this I can take.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post

Just shoot film and enjoy. If it's not there, use some other film which it is there. It's really that simple. No need to get all fanboi about it and get panties in a twist. I will shoot what I like for how long it is there.
    If it's not there, I will move on and use something else. I guess if you worry so much instead of taking photos and shooting film, there might be no film in the end?
    I worry AND shoot photos. One can do both.

The Kodak and Fujifilm death watch reduces my ability to enjoy shooting film.

My post contains NOTHING fanboi. At all. So your imagination is providing part of which that you reply to. That part has nothing to do with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Worry is a natural extension of the more basic fear of the unknown that has been naturally selected into each and every one of us over the last five million years. And for very good reasons. It's a form of abstract thinking that allows for the identification and avoidance of future threats and dangers. As such, it is ultimately a mechanism to help insure survival of the species.

In this particular case, worry allows an individual to identify conditions and patterns today that may constitute a threat to the availability of certain photographic films in the future. Correct identification of such future dangers would allow for their avoidance by the mechanism of transitioning to substitute films before the current ones disappear.

Several years ago I looked at the situation and began worrying about the future availability of Kodak Plus-X film. At the time this had been my standard use film for 30 years. Worry helped identify both the danger, and the mitigating action. I switched to Ilford b&w films before that danger overtook me. And, of course, Plus-X is now extinct. Mission accomplished.

Those who worry are proactive, and very little sneaks up and bites them in the butt. Those who don't worry are reactive, and generally have butts covered with painful teeth marks. And since danger in life is ever present, I'll take the former approach over the latter any day. It makes sitting in chairs much easier.

There is only one mad individual I know of who lives life by the credo "What? Me worry?"

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This popped up on my FB feed a while back...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DontWorry.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	85864
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm
    From an article in todays Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Kodak Alaris CEO: Lots of change, quickly (see article at http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ickly/7465411/ )

---------------------------------

D&C: What about the camera film business? Are there growth opportunities there at all?

RG: We will continue the film business as long as there's a profitable market out there. Film is still in demand. We're happy to provide this ... as long as it makes sense for us. And at the moment it makes sense for us.

D&C: Given the trend lines you've undoubtedly been looking at, is this a business that has three years? Five years? Ten years? How long does this last?

RG: You never know. Maybe next year there's kind of a retro, how do you say ....

D&C: Like LPs?

RG: That's a good example. They're coming back right now.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin