Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,332   Online: 859

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    If it were to pull back its film offerings to only black and white then there is no purpose for Kodak (Alaris) film.

There are no black and white films from Kodak that can't be better supplied from many other, more dedicated, makers.

Color may soon be moot as well if Ferrania can get restarted. And there is still a spark of life left in Agfa color films.

I am now of the firm belief that the best thing for all of us is for Kodak (Alaris) to end the shell of a charade and bow out for good.

At least it gives the others an opportunity to fill the niche.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Maybe Mr. Ralf Gerbershagen should sign up and become a contributing member here, like Simon G.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I am now of the firm belief that the best thing for all of us is for Kodak (Alaris) to end the shell of a charade and bow out for good.
    I was thinking something along the same lines.

My idea (and I don't believe there is even a ghost of a chance this happens) is that when the time comes that KA decides photographic film is no longer a viable business for them, they will, in an act of generosity to the industry, release all of their remaining film manufacturing IP to the public domain. Let other companies, perhaps new startups, pick up the mantle and run with it.

The market for photo film is not and will never be zero. I believe there is an opportunity for correctly scaled companies to tool up and serve it, but that would be made infinitely more difficult if they had to re-learn everything EK learned over 100+ years, carefully work their way around patent issues, etc.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    This popped up on my FB feed a while back...

Attachment 85864
    The chart is a formalization of the worry process. The first decision diamond is the identification of possible future danger step. And the second diamond is the possible mitigation of future danger step.

The two questions posed are never even asked by those reactive individuals who chronically can't sit in chairs...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Gerbershagen The new Head of Kodak Alaris says he wants input.

Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    If it were to pull back its film offerings to only black and white then there is no purpose for Kodak (Alaris) film.

There are no black and white films from Kodak that can't be better supplied from many other, more dedicated, makers.

Color may soon be moot as well if Ferrania can get restarted. And there is still a spark of life left in Agfa color films.

At least it gives the others an opportunity to fill the niche.
    Ouch, that last part won't go down well here...

I agree with it a bit, I think they should bow out of the B&W industry and focus on color... No competition.

I think Fuji should give Acros100 to Ilford, and Velvia50/100 to Kodak.

Provia100f/Provia400X (as much as I hate to say it) can be covered by the Portra line which is more popular (as far as the majority market that would choose to use either film).

And kodak should stop Ektar100 in favor of Velvia50/100.

Lastly, kodak should produce some "retro" lines for the likes of Lomography, specifically Ektar25 and old Ektachrome64T

This would be Kodak's future lineup if I were in charge.

Velvia50
    Velvia100
    Ektachrome64T
    Portra 160
    Portra 400
    Portra 800
    Ektar25

This would give kodak....

-3 portrait films in all important speeds

-2 Landscape films in 2 speeds but more importantly 2 reciprocity types (poor reciprocity is part of why V50 has such insane long exposure colors, more than V100 and V100 would be easy to shoot without having to think about the reciprocity issues for those that don't like/know how to deal with that stuff like many Lomo and new-to-film folks).

-2 Retro line films for he Lomo folks which would give a vivid, but also earth-tone looking option, and a blue toned option/tungsten light option.

Of course, no one will listen to me...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder what kind of input Gerbershagen was expecting to receive?

Please continue your long-standing policy of discontinuing film products?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post

Bulls-eye observation.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Gerbershagen The new Head of Kodak Alaris says he wants input.

Probably was expecting to receive questions related to the profitable product lines they have... Which doesn't include film...

And I mean the EXTREMELY profitable stuff....

If Kodak were IBM, they would have dropped film back in 2002... We are lucky Kodak is as bad at profiting as it is...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    127 Format
    And what value is gathering input from the user community if they won't be acting upon it?

I am not worried but I am doing something about it. All my black and white film purchases no longer go to new Kodak films, but to other makers.

Half of my color film purchases go to Kodak and half to Fujifilm. When Ferrania comes available I expect 80% or more of my color will come from them.

I adore Kodak films, especially their color Gold products. But they really aren't any better than Fujifilm, and Fujifilm still offers E-6.

So it's up to Kodak (Alaris) if they want to remain in the film business and if they are going to take any of the input, they claim they want, and do anything concrete with it. Or is it only more phony lip service?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    127 Format

Best comment of the thread!
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin