Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,243   Posts: 1,680,119   Online: 726

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ummm... Wrong, they were quite successful, they just foolishly sold off the parents because they thought film was better at image making...
    I thought it was Leica who used Kodak sensors in their M-series digital cameras until just a couple of years ago? There was a Kodak branded SLR many years ago that was a really great camera for the time. Slow, but very good image quality.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I thought it was Leica who used Kodak sensors in their M-series digital cameras until just a couple of years ago? There was a Kodak branded SLR many years ago that was a really great camera for the time. Slow, but very good image quality.
    unfortunately there was only one repair facility for the whole country ( USA ).
    and they often needed to be repaired so if you used one, you needed ...
    either a 2nd camera to take up the slack or a vacation to get it fixed...
    and high end professional cameras ain't ( weren't ) inexpensive ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    unfortunately there was only one repair facility for the whole country ( USA ).
    and they often needed to be repaired so if you used one, you needed ...
    either a 2nd camera to take up the slack or a vacation to get it fixed...
    and high end professional cameras ain't ( weren't ) inexpensive ..
    Exactly. Not very well managed. They failed miserably to capitalize on an astoundingly good product! And that's the problem.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was speaking in generality, they spent significant time developing the digital sensor, I was under the impression they essentially created it...

So I'm saying, they created something and then cast it off for others to utilize and they did, and it put kodak in it's current spot.

But the CEO's (parents hehe) were dumb... And didn't have any foresight.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    no one is left to process color film, the infrastructure has been removed yet people still want it ?
    This is heard repeatedly from USA. Is it really so bad over there? The little, "super-convenient", one-hour processing machines which keep disappearing were low-quality with minimally-trained staff and sold on the basis of convenience. They are gone, so never mind - use centralised, efficient, professionally-monitored labs and wait three days. This works over here (Europe). Just about all towns have supermarkets or department stores which are on a collection-route for one of the big labs. If that doesn't seem convenient, just use the post with their pre-paid mailer arrangements.

Remember also that 'new' film photographers won't miss a slightly-crappy, one-hour service because the three day plan is all they have ever known. It is not an increase in difficulty for them - except compared to digital perhaps, but even then most laser-exposed RA4 enlargements, from amateur enthusiast outlets, still take a few days to arrive back with the digital photographer so there is effectively not much difference.

It is difficult to say how long Kodak-Alaris may be able to source filmstock for marketing to endusers, but I hope that the pensioners funds are enough to keep paying them their pensions. Even a last load of frozen unslit-rolls, made when the cine-film ends (next year?) would keep everyone going for seven years or so, if confectioning systems were available (for example via Harman).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    This is heard repeatedly from USA. Is it really so bad over there?
    No, Martin, it's really not that bad. Nor are there actual lynch mobs roaming the countryside. I just had several rolls of E-6 120 processed without a whimper. And my wife still uses 35mm C-41 without any problems, because she dislikes the look of digital. (I offered to buy her a digital camera, but she declined for that reason.)

Some here just get carried away with their fears. Constructive worry would be a better option. Or just the Ignore button.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    This is heard repeatedly from USA. Is it really so bad over there? The little, "super-convenient", one-hour processing machines which keep disappearing were low-quality with minimally-trained staff and sold on the basis of convenience. They are gone, so never mind - use centralised, efficient, professionally-monitored labs and wait three days. This works over here (Europe). Just about all towns have supermarkets or department stores which are on a collection-route for one of the big labs. If that doesn't seem convenient, just use the post with their pre-paid mailer arrangements.

Remember also that 'new' film photographers won't miss a slightly-crappy, one-hour service because the three day plan is all they have ever known. It is not an increase in difficulty for them - except compared to digital perhaps, but even then most laser-exposed RA4 enlargements, from amateur enthusiast outlets, still take a few days to arrive back with the digital photographer so there is effectively not much difference.

It is difficult to say how long Kodak-Alaris may be able to source filmstock for marketing to endusers, but I hope that the pensioners funds are enough to keep paying them their pensions. Even a last load of frozen unslit-rolls, made when the cine-film ends (next year?) would keep everyone going for seven years or so, if confectioning systems were available (for example via Harman).

martin

where i am in new england ...
    there is only 1 pharmacy that does labwork "send out"
    it goes to fuji but these pharmacies aren't at every street corner.
    the large abundance of pharmacies ( cvs + walgreens ) don't process film or do send out anymore.
    walmart does send out 35mm and 120
    but they don't return film just a cd of images
    there is 1 lab within 25 miles she does wonderful work, and there is 1 prolab within a 45 minute drive.
    there is send out service but the old standards ( york, mystic &c ) are gone.

there are options, but for the general consumer who isn't used to searching high and low to get their film processed it isn't easy,
    or as easy as before.

as for lynch mobs ...
    ken, maybe you should read the tone of the people who bitch and moan in every kodak thread
    about how they screwed everyone over, how perez was a jackass who ruined analog photography
    and now in this thread how the new head of alaris is more of the same.

same $ht different day

Shooter
    35mm
    The strange thing is that if we compare the interest in analogue in the U.S. and Europe based on APUG membership then in percentage terms the U.S. wins hands-down. The Europeans based on our percentage here on APUG should be the one complaining about lack of processing outlets, shouldn't they?

Maybe most U.S. analoguers are here on APUG but most European analoguers can't be bothered to join

On the other hand Ilford do seem to rate the contribution to its profit that its U.S. customers make and as an astute business this would suggest that it's the U.S. that has the consumer analogue leverage.

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The strange thing is that if we compare the interest in analogue in the U.S. and Europe based on APUG membership then in percentage terms the U.S. wins hands-down. The Europeans based on our percentage here on APUG should be the one complaining about lack of processing outlets, shouldn't they?
    In Germany there are a few national drugstore chains, around each town, that still sell film and still take-in exposed films to send to industrial labs.
    Furthermore there are still small photo-shops even in small towns, that do the same.

(Though slide film seems to vanish from those chain stores.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is Ralf Gerbershagen a German name?

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin