Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,863   Posts: 1,583,187   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

My camera will be flashing error messages at me when I load Ultra film.

Just got the Update from Freestyle. "DX coded cartridges designed for use by our manufacturing partner for Arista.EDU Ultra films are no longer available. When our stock of DX coded films are gone we will be switching over to a new blank cartridge. "

I have several models of Canon SLR cameras and most of them will flash "ISO" and set a default if they can't read the cartridge. A few of them will keep flashing even after the ISO is manually set. I wonder if this is the issue that convinced Harmon to install metal working equipment to make their own?
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would it not be possible to take an iPhone scan of the existing DX code for a sample, upload the scan to Publisher on a PC and then use it to create a label master to match some suitable label stationery, print off a sheet of say fifty labels and before loading one of the new blank cartridges, carefully stick the label on so the camera has something to read?

RR

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Would it not be possible to take an iPhone scan of the existing DX code for a sample, upload the scan to Publisher on a PC and then use it to create a label master to match some suitable label stationery, print off a sheet of say fifty labels and before loading one of the new blank cartridges, carefully stick the label on so the camera has something to read?

RR
    I believe the label would have to be partially metal to make the contacts touch.

Just save the cartridges and re-roll from bulk rolls, that's what I would do.

Most decent cameras you can control the ASA manually, so I'm sure the cameras aren't that valuable that you can't use something else. I'm kind if surprised anyone uses cameras you can't set the ASA manually, that would make me crazy, especially when I wanted to expose for a different EI...

Good luck, but consider the re-roll.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Most decent cameras you can control the ASA manually, I'm kind if surprised anyone uses cameras you can't set the ASA manually,
    Of course you can set the Speed manually, But the designer must have thought that that would be used for exceptional cases, so the Camera likes to warn you that there may be a problem by Flashing the ISO display.

At the time the camera's Software was written, there was no question that any good quality film would always come with DX coding.

And as far as the other comments above, the "reading" is done by a series of electrical contacts, so DIY labels besides being complicated are not likely to be reliable. And I have never been happy with trying to re-use crimped cartridges. That either requires using a Leader puller and pulling teh film through the light trap once again, , or attempting to force the end cap back in place. The Ones intended for reuse with the DX codes are also no longer available.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can get the codes on Wikipedia, they are "same size".

A little plastic tape and scratching with a small knife can solve the problem.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Of course you can set the Speed manually, But the designer must have thought that that would be used for exceptional cases, so the Camera likes to warn you that there may be a problem by Flashing the ISO display.

At the time the camera's Software was written, there was no question that any good quality film would always come with DX coding.

And as far as the other comments above, the "reading" is done by a series of electrical contacts, so DIY labels besides being complicated are not likely to be reliable. And I have never been happy with trying to re-use crimped cartridges. That either requires using a Leader puller and pulling teh film through the light trap once again, , or attempting to force the end cap back in place. The Ones intended for reuse with the DX codes are also no longer available.
    You can probably use metal duct work tape (not duct tape, but that metal stuff they stick on the central air ducts). And then cut it out for the proper configuration.

Also, you misunderstood me as I didn't get descriptive.

I meant remove the film without breaking the seal, as in don't wind the film all the way into the cartridge, just leave the tip out, then pull it out and cut the end, then tape the bulk roll and wind the new film into the cartridge.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a few different things you could do based off the suggestions given.
    You could even cut the code off an old cassette and tape it on the inside of the camera, if there is enough clearance to then add a cassette. I like this idea because, if there is room, you would not have to code each cartridge - just change the "insert" when you use a different speed film.

The easiest method of making your own would probably be taping a piece of foil/metal to the cassette, and using tape to create the code (instead of trying to stick squares of metal on the cassette, you'd use tape to cover areas of the metal you attach).

I do remember seeing stickers, so did a quick google search - just ideas, I'm not sure if these are in production, and what I found are not in North America, but you could use it as a basis for a search:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...abels-iso-1600
    http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/camer...r-package.html
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cut the dx off one can and tape it to another? Sheesh!

Just go buy that leica M3 you've always wanted. Problem solved.

I also, I think, at one time read about someone who made DX stickers for bulk loader types -- eBay? Or follow these directions and make your own:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...X-code-labels/

But the Leica solution also means you get to use a Leica. Think about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Just got the Update from Freestyle. "DX coded cartridges designed for use by our manufacturing partner for Arista.EDU Ultra films are no longer available. When our stock of DX coded films are gone we will be switching over to a new blank cartridge. "

I have several models of Canon SLR cameras and most of them will flash "ISO" and set a default if they can't read the cartridge. A few of them will keep flashing even after the ISO is manually set. I wonder if this is the issue that convinced Harmon to install metal working equipment to make their own?
    I think it's easier for you to get cameras that allow you to set manual ISO without flashing or even has no DX feature.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Some cameras use metal contacts some optical?

Mini labs will keep a sack of used cassettes for you with short end sticking out, for free! reuse beats remanufactured.

Leicas up to early M6 (cept CL and M5) accept velvet less cassettes about 5GBP each

Contax and Contarex ditto (&FSU Clones) cept cheaper

Most Canon LTM more expensive

Niccas never seen any

FSU Fed 2 and later (Zorki similar) cheap

Nikon rfdr, F and F2 expensive

not a complete list...

None of the felt less cassettes will fit other cameras, pig to tell apart, and some cameras have been back fitted! eg late M6 and early FSU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin