Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,499   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exactly. That is what I meant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My point in posting was just to pass along their good news assertion that they are alive, well, and still working toward a new E-6 film for the market. Especially for those not following the situation more closely.

Can they eventually get there? I dunno'. Maybe. Maybe not.

But I'd rather hear that they are still working hard at trying to get there, than to hear the constant drumbeat from the big boys over the last few years that it's all extinct, fool. And why can't you see that too?

Well, it's not extinct. The markets just changed. Some found (and are still finding) ways to adapt. While others are printing blister packaging. You do what you have to do, I suppose.

I have high hopes for FILM Ferrania. I think the most effective way to assure the future of film may well be to remove its primary manufacture completely from the USA. And out of the death grip of the Wolves of Wall Street.

It may not end up being Kodachrome or Ektachrome. Or Velvia or Provia. But with a little bit of luck, neither will it be extinct.

We'll see what the future holds...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I have high hopes for FILM Ferrania. I think the most effective way to assure the future of film may well be to remove its primary manufacture completely from the USA. And out of the death grip of the Wolves of Wall Street.

Ken

I absolutely agree with this. Get film out of the USA and let it flourish at whatever level it can.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hope they will come out with something to replace Astia...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Americans are Americacentric. Film isn't so dead globally..

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd be happy to see anybody come out with a new color transparency film. Right now Film Ferrania is our best bet. Kodak no longer makes the film or the chemistry to process it, and Fuji keeps discontinuing what they do have. Although the local camera store is now stocking Precisa CT 100 for virtually the same price as what I can get it from B&H, and we're petty sure as a community that that film is rebadged Provia.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    These threads are getting expensive. Every time I see one I drop a few hundred bucks at B&H buying film...
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I don't care if their first offerings are as good as anything else. Whatever they make will get better.

I have strong hope and faith that someone, somewhere will fill the void left behind by the behemoth's lack of interest. Shall it be Ferrania? Let's just say, yes!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I'd be happy to see anybody come out with a new color transparency film. Right now Film Ferrania is our best bet. Kodak no longer makes the film or the chemistry to process it, and Fuji keeps discontinuing what they do have. Although the local camera store is now stocking Precisa CT 100 for virtually the same price as what I can get it from B&H, and we're petty sure as a community that that film is rebadged Provia.
    I've shot a fair amount of it. If it's not rebranded Provia it's so close as to make no difference.

I still wish a new film was lower saturation and contrast like Astia/E100G was, OR fast, like the lamented Provia 400X, not so similar to Provia as it sounds, but I'll take what we can get!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    That is true as far as the former Ferrania factory. The new company, Film Ferrania, only has use of the former R&D lab and their smaller coating machines.
    You can read here a description of what they are attempting to do. In German: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/...ania/index.php
    In English: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/...ia/english.php
    Wasnt there talk that Kodak was going to look at using smaller coating machines to produce film in the future?
    I remember there was some blog from a Kodak employee about it.

I assume all the film manufactures must hold such equipment from their R&D departments?

If Ferrania can get this stuff coming out of italy, it may give their competition some incentive to start production again?
    I love my E100G, but im really enjoying the agfachrome Aviphot 200, i hope it will be around for some time.

I think we should all write into these companies and voice our concerns, they may listen and be open to making smaller runs if its viable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin