Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,726   Online: 838

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FILM Ferrania - April 16, 2014

From their Facebook page:

"Just few words to reassure all of them who are following us since many months: We are still Alive and Kicking, just a little bit slower than expected. Why? The assumption for any revolution is that it must be durable in the future and in order to catch this goal some more work is needed. Cryptic message? Please, trust in us and stay tuned. More details soon."

—Nicola Baldini
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-22-2014 at 07:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no idea who they are, but my understanding of "Please, trust in us" is......assume everyone is honest, but keep one hand on your wallet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are possibly the last (or second to last, if you are wildly optimistic), best chance for the survival of E-6 transparency film. Both for cine and for still photographers.

And with all of color film photography now pretty much on a death watch (the final MP production runs fulfilling the final MP contract cannot be far off at EK, and Fuji is down to next to nothing in their color film product portfolio), they may also be in the same position for C-41 color negative film.

The quote is an acknowledgement that their schedule for reintroduction of a reengineered E-6 film by 14Q1 has slipped, which those following their progress already knew, and a plea to nevertheless stick with them, as they are still working toward it.

Realistically, they need to have something to show in time to assure market continuity for color film products. A couple of years between the end of current color films and the appearance of their replacements could prove fatal if the final bits of both infrastructure and mindshare evaporate.

Lots of niche-level film people are counting on these guys to succeed...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-22-2014 at 07:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added qualifier...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting the update, Ken. For folks like myself that to date have consistently really only burned one type of film, that being E-6 stuff, we're hopeful and anxiously await their product.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think C41 is in immediate danger. There's still a metric arse-ton of C41 disposable cameras being made and used - at least so it has been reported here.

Still, it looks like my long term world is B&W film, maybe B&W alternative processes, and maybe digital. I'm not fond of that but if it's the only viable way to get color, I'd shoot some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Still, it looks like my long term world is B&W film, maybe B&W alternative processes, and maybe digital. I'm not fond of that but if it's the only viable way to get color, I'd shoot some.
    If Mr. Baldini and the others are successful, perhaps we won't have to. He seems to be telling us they haven't burned, but rather are still in the baking phase.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    If Mr. Baldini and the others are successful, perhaps we won't have to. He seems to be telling us they haven't burned, but rather are still in the baking phase.

Ken
    Yeah I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk using 100% recycled electrons. Because I care.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ferrania may be our best bet for both E 6 and C 41. Both Fuji and Kodak need to coat very large runs, at some point there will not enough demand to keep the big plants operating and only a smaller operation will be able to make a profit.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji and Kodak and Agfa have the same erquipment as Film Ferrania have. And the latter sit in a large plant too. The issue is more complicated than that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Fuji and Kodak and Agfa have the same erquipment as Film Ferrania have. And the latter sit in a large plant too. The issue is more complicated than that.
    That is true as far as the former Ferrania factory. The new company, Film Ferrania, only has use of the former R&D lab and their smaller coating machines.
    You can read here a description of what they are attempting to do. In German: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/...ania/index.php
    In English: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/...ia/english.php
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin