Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,008   Online: 867

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film packaging identifier?

This might not be the best place to post this, but it's not BW or color specific so I'm not posting in the respective film/chem forums. Anyhow...

Is anyone aware of an online resource to identify the era of manufacture of film by the packaging. I'm thinking of a site which would have picture of boxes, canisters, rolls, etc. through the years with data on the years of manufacture for the film with each particular packaging design. I think this would be super handy, especially since I'm always finding old rolls of film (exposed and unexposed) in my boxes of photo stuff and I like to triage and try to ID them before I put them in my queue of random backlog processing.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't kow such site.
    Some designs were held on for some time, and those "process before" dates should be more informative anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Expiration dates and or codes are either on the boxes for still films or actually on the film for cine films However this information may not be that useful since the storage conditions may not be known. Film may be within expiration but worthless if stored improperly.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not worried about process by dates or storage conditions, etc. Just want to know the era of manufacture from the packaging. Many I know from years of use and much of the information is out there, albeit piecemeal. But I think it would be a handy resource for collectors, buyers, sellers, and users to have it all in one place. I might be willing to put such a site together if folks were game to help with data collection and verification.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, obviously boxes offer more info due to the inclusion of an expiration date, but if all you have is the cassette, you probably only have the graphic design to narrow down the film's era.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Give http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/ a try. Maurice Fisher has done a sterling job of gathering images of a great many films and papers. Granted, my interest has been in getting an idea of manufacturing dates for old Ilford paper and Mr. Fisher has some fairly comprehensive information regarding that, but I'm almost certain there was data for films from Agfa, Kodak and Ilford there as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin