Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,937   Online: 998

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why does Tmax need it's own developer?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    It doesn't, but the T-Max developers were introduced at or near the same time as the T-Max films to both take advantage of some of the characteristics of the new films and to benefit from some of the marketing "buzz" that the introduction of new technology creates.

Both versions of the developer are very good, and are particularly strong when you need to enhance speed.

EDIT: And for clarity, both versions of the developer work well with all sorts of films - not just T-Max films. END EDIT

On the subject of German vs. US manufacture, I think the concern isn't that the manufacturing is now being done in Germany - Germany has a long and storied history of quality photographic manufacturing. What raises concern is the potential loss of photographic manufacturing in the US, which also has a long and storied history of quality.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    So far I haven't seen anything that refers to Kodak Alaris.
    the German supply route started up a month or two before the Alaris sale.

US tax laws may make it worthwhile for them to keep the money from sales of this stuff in Europe and elsewhere outside the US in there Swiss Subsidiary. Of course the new new owners may do something else when it is time to reorder a container load from Germany.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As MattKing said, Tmax Developer has been made for 25 years now. It was designed to give better speed when pushing Tmax 400 and Tmax 3200, and is also a nice general purpose developer for anyone who wants to standardize on just one. I use it mainly for developing Ilford Delta 3200, which is works great with, and had used it for Tmax 3200 for many, many years when that film was still made. I've tried a bunch of developers for the Kodak and Ilford 3200 films, and none came close to giving the tonal quality and shadow detail that Tmax Developer gives when pushing these films to 1600 and 3200.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The bottles I have seen around here of HC110 just say made in Germany for Eastman Kodak. So far I haven't seen anything that refers to Kodak Alaris.
    I thought of this too. Are any of the film boxes and packaging going to ever say Kodak Alaris?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I thought of this too. Are any of the film boxes and packaging going to ever say Kodak Alaris?
    In Canada, film used to say Kodak Canada (or before that, Canadian Kodak).

So it may be that the products will show the local company's name, rather than Kodak Alaris'.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    In Canada, film used to say Kodak Canada (or before that, Canadian Kodak).
    Of course in those days it was made (or at least packed) in what is now known as "camera heights"

I worked in a place who sold some "grey market" Kodak film back then and it was marked "Kodak Limited London"

The trend that Kodak _Was_ following seemed to be to try to have the same packaging for all markets, now that the manufacturing for a given product has been reduced to generally one source. Recent 400TX packages have text that indicate the importer for the Brazillian Market among other things. Of course international companies also worry about stuff intended for one market being sold in another. I have gotten Grey Market Kodacolour in the past that was marked "proof of Purchase Japan" and had radically different graphics than the North American version.

(I am also guessing that is the only reason for the existence of "Ilford Pan 100 and 400)

Anyway, I would expect that alaris will start to get mentioned on a stock turnover basis, but the current batches are probably over 6 months stock.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't, but the T-Max developers were introduced at or near the same time as the T-Max films to both take advantage of some of the characteristics of the new films and to benefit from some of the marketing "buzz" that the introduction of new technology creates.

Both versions of the developer are very good, and are particularly strong when you need to enhance speed.

EDIT: And for clarity, both versions of the developer work well with all sorts of films - not just T-Max films. END EDIT

On the subject of German vs. US manufacture, I think the concern isn't that the manufacturing is now being done in Germany - Germany has a long and storied history of quality photographic manufacturing. What raises concern is the potential loss of photographic manufacturing in the US, which also has a long and storied history of quality.
    This. T-Max developer is superb with Delta 3200 though to be fair I have not tried DD-X (yet.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    As MattKing said, Tmax Developer has been made for 25 years now. It was designed to give better speed when pushing Tmax 400 and Tmax 3200, and is also a nice general purpose developer for anyone who wants to standardize on just one. I use it mainly for developing Ilford Delta 3200, which is works great with, and had used it for Tmax 3200 for many, many years when that film was still made. I've tried a bunch of developers for the Kodak and Ilford 3200 films, and none came close to giving the tonal quality and shadow detail that Tmax Developer gives when pushing these films to 1600 and 3200.
    Have you tried DD-X with Delta 3200? (I have some TMZ remaining in my fridge, in date from the last batch probably.)

I'd like to standardize on something I feel more confident about, as well as supporting Ilford.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Have you tried DD-X with Delta 3200? (I have some TMZ remaining in my fridge, in date from the last batch probably.)

I'd like to standardize on something I feel more confident about, as well as supporting Ilford.
    I haven't, because Tmax Developer works so beautifully. Trying DDX would be a pain because I'd have to order it online and pay the high shipping for heavy liquid developer that I may decide I don't like anyway. The local camera store sells only Kodak developers. If it ain't broke, no need to try fixing it. If Kodak ever quits making Tmax, I'll try DDX. They're said to be very similar anyway.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin