Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,728   Online: 994

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=cmacd123;1667026]Of course in those days it was made (or at least packed) in what is now known as "camera heights"

I worked in a place who sold some "grey market" Kodak film back then and it was marked "Kodak Limited London"

/QUOTE]

It's becoming easy to forget what a multi-national company Kodak was and how many manufacturing facilities they had. Back around 1999-2000 here in Australia they made most of the chemical range, consumer colour film and Edge colour paper but we got professional Ektacolor paper in rolls from Brazil, most of the pro colour films, black & white films and sheet Ektacolor paper from Rochester, black & white paper from Canada and Ektachrome from France. I'm not sure where the Kodachrome came from as I rarely ever used it. About the only thing that came from the UK was gelatine filters. There was also a cheapo pro film called Pro Image that came from China. How times have changed. OzJohn

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=OzJohn;1668578]
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    most of the pro colour films, black & white films and sheet Ektacolor paper from Rochester, black & white paper from Canada and Ektachrome from France. . OzJohn
    Right arround that time Kodak's Canadian Plant was in a bit of an upset also. It had been built to mostly provide the Canadian Market behind what was at the time a rather large Tariff wall. So Popular items were made there and smaller items were packed and final assembled there.

It was hard to tell what was imported, for example I used to use Plus-x bulk film, which came in a Canadian Kodak Box, but was edge printed KODAK S'AFETY FILM, while individual rolls of Plus-X were edge printed KODAK SA'FETY FILM. (the Kodak Limited stuff was edge printed KODAK SAF'ETY FILM) WHo knows where it was actually coated.

In the grey market stuff Eaton's sold, it all said made in England, except the High Speed Ektachrome which said it was made by Eastman Kodak in USA and Packaged by Kodak Limited in England.

When NAFTA came in The Canadian Plant with it's lower volumes was adrift, and the business news said that it in different years had a mandate to produce (1) Colour paper, (2) _ALL_ colour Motion Picture Negative film, and I think finally all B&W paper. I was still playing with Movie negative for stills at that time using short end film and sure enough I did see more of the SA'FETY film markings. But they disappeared when the KeyKode system came out, and I suspect that also meant Movie Neg went back to Rochester.

The LAST package of Kodak B&W paper I ever bought said it was Made for Eastman Kodak by Kodak Canada. I suspect that Nafta also resulted in a lot of US market stuff suddenly being labelled in Both English and French. (and possibly Spanish)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    This is regular (non RS) Tmax dev?
    B&H doesn't stock it... only newly packaged TMAX RS- where is everyone getting this?

Shooter
    35mm

Whut

Exactly just what is a "local camera store." Is this a new invention?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is one of my local sources - Beau Photo

Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format

I bought it at Sunny Schick Camera Shop in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I've been shopping there since I was a kid, when it was owned by an old man who was my grandfather's age. He passed it on to his son a few years before he died, and the son's own son works as a salesman there, and will probably take it over someday. I don't buy as much as I used to there because they've had to cut down their film and chemical offerings in the last few years because so few people here are using film anymore, but I did buy two digital cameras from them as well. Good people. Its a small shop where they know all their customers by name.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin