Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,674   Online: 873

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Tmax Developer - Made in Germany now!

A couple weeks ago, I bought a new bottle of Kodak Tmax Developer at the local camera store. It was in the familiar round bottle, and it was marked "Made in USA." It was the last one they had in stock. Today, I went back to get more, and they had it back in stock. This time, the bottle was rectangular, had more developer in it (1liter; the old bottles were smaller), and it was marked "Made in Germany for Kodak, for distribution in the USA."

Price was higher too, $20 for the bottle. The old bottles were $12. Even accounting for the fact that the new bottle gives more chemical, I think the price has increased a bit for it.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the Kodak chemistry that was formerly made by Champion Photochemistry for the US market appears to now be made either in China (colour chemistry) or by Tetenal in Germany.

Champion were one of the largest unpaid creditors in the Eastman Kodak bankruptcy.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    All of the Kodak chemistry that was formerly made by Champion Photochemistry for the US market appears to now be made either in China (colour chemistry) or by Tetenal in Germany.

Champion were one of the largest unpaid creditors in the Eastman Kodak bankruptcy.

I'd seen it mentioned here before that Champion lost a lot of money in the Kodak bankruptcy, so I figured that was why they were now importing chems from Germany. I wonder why the color chemistry is from China? Tetenal makes color chemicals too.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    My last bottle of HC-110, bought in Toronto, was made in Germany, but the one before was made in the US.
    It's one of the few things I can get cheaper here in France than in North America, (usually), probably because of the shorter, overland shipping and the lack of a currency exchange cost. But the difference is very small.
    And, they dropped the European concentration, even though it's made in Europe.
    Isn't it all good fun?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought Tmax last year before winter, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	515.1 KB 
ID:	90224

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Shipping water is expensive raw powders should be cheaper in US?

Shooter
    35mm
    if you can ship by container load, it is really volume that counts. All the Kodak B&W chems seem to be sourced from Germany now. As are all the Ilford chems for that matter. no doubt that will mean another building can be repurposed at Kodak park.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKNABIA View Post
    I bought Tmax last year before winter, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	515.1 KB 
ID:	90224
    That's the bottle I just got. The old-style one I got a couple weeks ago had an expiry date of next month, so it must have been the last one the store had left. I think its interesting the German version says, as your photo shows, "Made for Eastman Kodak Sarl, Geneva." What's Eastman Kodak Sarl?
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SARL is the designation for a corporation is Switzerland, so I expect that the Swiss version of Kodak is referred to as "Eastman Kodak SARL"

Now why that bottle is made for the Swiss version of Kodak, I do not know.

The bottles I have seen around here of HC110 just say made in Germany for Eastman Kodak. So far I haven't seen anything that refers to Kodak Alaris.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin