Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,823   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Instructions on how to hoard film

Sort of a tongue in cheek question but I'm wondering how do you all hoard film? (for those that do).

For example, Neopan 400 has been discontinued and will soon disappear. If you wanted this film, and still could get it for a reasonable price, how much would you buy? $100? $1000? $10,000 worth?

I have about 80 boxes in the freezer but can still buy more at $4/box, perhaps a bit less. I am thinking about buying more this weekend but am wondering when to stop buying.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think you'd be wise to learn to adapt to whatever materials are current and available. The history of photography has always been all about change. Use what you have and move on. Never freeze film stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is discontinued I'd select some other film that is available fresh. I'd prefer not to use expired film unless someone gives it to me or it is a few pennies per roll. Buying film to let it expire is a waste in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Neopan 400, I shoot it in 35mm and I have 30 rolls, I'm not planning to get any more. Since in 120 I shoot TriX, I will use it in 35mm too.
    At the moment I mix my shooting of Neopan and TriX in 35mm.

I also have 30 rolls of 125px in 35mm and 25 in 120.
    I have 30 rolls of Reala in 120.
    16 rolls of E100VS in 35mm and 15 in 120.
    10 rolls of E100G in 120.

Currently I'm in process of getting 70 rolls of E100G and E100VS in 120. I will use up around half of my E100VS stock on my trip to Myanmar end of this year. I will keep the other half for when I go to India/Nepal/South East Asia. I think this films work great there.

I have all of this films with specific purposes in mind, but once it's all gone, I have replacements for them. The only thing that I don't have replacement for is Provia 400X.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ratty,

For this and so many of your posts, may I recommend that you buy a copy of the following book. It is long out of print but it was very popular in its time and is still readily available at very reasonable prices on the used market. The author addresses the question you have posed in this thread in the forward.

Aaron Sussman
    The Amateur Photographer's Handbook, 8th edition, completely revised
    (C) 1973, Thomas Y. Crowell Company, Inc.

EDIT: here are a bunch on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/311043356689?lpid=82

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy, hoard, worry, get old, worry, die, there is a memorial garage sale, no one knows what that "film stuff" looks like, they open it but there are no pictures, they toss it in the garbage. It sits in the land fill until one day it is dug up and shot into outer space because that is what they do with toxic waste in the future.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would buy them as many as I can afford. I would keep buying them until they are all gone or their price goes out of my reach.

In hindsight, I regret I didn't buy more E100G and E100VS when they were still available from Adorama and B&H. Every time I was outbid on ebay for E100VS only increases my sore.

All my E100G/VS are in my freezer. They are all expired but are as good as new. A few weeks ago I just shot one roll that is more than a year expired, and all the shots came out great.

Each emulsion has its own look and you can hardly find a completely perfect replacement for you. Eventually you'll need to adapt to use what's available. But there is nothing wrong to hoard what you love when they are still around.

Shooter
    35mm
    $4 a box? How many rolls in a box? If its more than one I want some too!
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    $4 a box? How many rolls in a box? If its more than one I want some too!
    Just one. It's actually $4.50 per box here. Supply is still good but for how much longer, who knows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philosli View Post
    I would buy them as many as I can afford. I would keep buying them until they are all gone or their price goes out of my reach.

In hindsight, I regret I didn't buy more E100G and E100VS when they were still available from Adorama and B&H. Every time I was outbid on ebay for E100VS only increases my sore.

All my E100G/VS are in my freezer. They are all expired but are as good as new. A few weeks ago I just shot one roll that is more than a year expired, and all the shots came out great.

Each emulsion has its own look and you can hardly find a completely perfect replacement for you. Eventually you'll need to adapt to use what's available. But there is nothing wrong to hoard what you love when they are still around.
    I guess this is the sensible answer. I will order up as much as they have in the store. Time for the mother load. I really enjoy this film and want to shoot it for as long as I can.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin