Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,756   Online: 891

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192324252627282930 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The long post that you just made Simon was a great one! I second your sentiments!!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I'm not at all sure I get what you're saying about Tolkien and Kindles though. I never liked Tolkien and don't have any interest in owning a Kindle.
    The reply was not intended to be all about you...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hear, hear Simon. Good post.

Another reason why I am sure I will enjoy working with XP2. Although I work hybrid, and enjoy it, I also print the old-fashioned way as well. I always had trouble getting BW400 to print the way I wanted. This is where I expect XP2 to have the edge.

Though it may be a touch off topic I will throw this out. Three of my grandchildren enjoy analogue photography with me. But it definitely isn't scanning and printing on the printer that they like. The absolutely love being able to go into the darkroom with their negatives and make and develop analogue prints. The magic of seeing the print begin to appear on the paper under the red light is what captured every one of them. If they want to take a picture and send it to a friend, or print it on a printer, they just use their phone. Everyone can do that. But not everyone can bring their very own black and white print to school to show off.

EDIT - In fact, one of them has already moved to a 6x6 folder because they like the prints better. And Ilford's paper is terrific.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Three of my grandchildren enjoy analogue photography with me. But it definitely isn't scanning and printing on the printer that they like. The absolutely love being able to go into the darkroom with their negatives and make and develop analogue prints. The magic of seeing the print begin to appear on the paper under the red light is what captured every one of them. If they want to take a picture and send it to a friend, or print it on a printer, they just use their phone. Everyone can do that. But not everyone can bring their very own black and white print to school to show off.

EDIT - In fact, one of them has already moved to a 6x6 folder because they like the prints better. And Ilford's paper is terrific.

I've told this story before, but when my son was in the 8th grade I was approached by the faculty at his school about teaching a little photo class to a few of the students as a consolation gift. They were the ones who hadn't made it into the annual school play.

So we made pinhole cameras from unused one-gallon paint cans. We used Ilford paper for the negatives and Ilford paper for the contact positives. I turned the women's faculty restroom into a red-light darkroom with a hanging white bulb, set out trays and washer and timer, the whole nine yards. Had a sturdy DIY paint can tripod adapter, exposure charts, and a stopwatch for the black electrical tape shutters.

The kids loved it. And mind you these were 7th and 8th grade kids who had just begun learning that all adults must always be avoided at all costs.

About a week later I was at the school for some reason and one of the faculty members pulled me aside and told me she had watched as one of the girls from the class had spent that entire week walking around the playground and shoving her hands in the other kids faces.

A little additional investigation had determined that the girl was actually asking the other kids to smell her hands. I had told her after the class ended that the smell of fixer on her hands meant that she had taken her rightful place in a very long line of traditional darkroom photographers stretching back 178 years.

Apparently she hadn't washed her hands during the entire following week...

Ken

[Edit: I just looked and the very simple webpage I made for this class is still available here. It shows the student's final photographs from two sessions. Kirsten was the young lady with the fixer hands. Wow, has it already been almost ten years?]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-30-2014 at 03:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit...]
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW400cn.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	504.5 KB 
ID:	96966
    The Last big batch of Kodak BW400cn I will process and print. I enjoyed working with you!
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, that's 200 rolls if I counted rows and columns correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Wow, that's 200 rolls if I counted rows and columns correctly.
    Sadly its only 4 weeks worth of stock :-(
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    I shoot 98% B&W film but scan with my Nikon 4000, 9000 and Leafscan 45. 95% of my images I display only online and maybe only 5% I print.
    I shoot probably 75% color, 25% B&W. It all gets scanned by the lab. I print way more B&W than I do color. Maybe that's because the color I do shoot is slides, where the slide IS the print.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    The only reason prints even exist is because there was not the ability to scan negs, nor was there computer monitors and smart phones at a time in photography's past to display one's work. If there were I sincerely doubt printing would have become that popular and certainly would never have evolved or expanded the way it did. It would likely still exist though as a tiny fraction of the end result of photography, as it is now. I know this is APUG but I will admit I'm a hybrid photographer, I shoot 98% B&W film but scan with my Nikon 4000, 9000 and Leafscan 45. 95% of my images I display only online and maybe only 5% I print. Of the ones I print though I have sold for some for $500+ and have had some in charity auctions go for as much as $900. Nobody would pay that for one of my online scans!
    I think you have quaint ideas about prints... and history.
    I have an oil on canvas above my fire place :In arciada, portable & has tangible existence; like
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistine_Chapel
    people do not value images on screens they are like ghosts or computer files.
    Only there until any of lightening strike, power outage, head crash, or software fault.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve- was there a reason in particular to use that film over another, ore even a true black and white?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin