Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 761

Page 1 of 30 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Alaris discontinues BW400CN film

Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm

never

Never heard of it so I guess I won't miss it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now it starts.

This is the sort of film that logically should be the last man standing. It's easier to develop as many shops don't do B&W processing anymore and it's easy to scan.

Which Kodak film is next, do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this was a bit of a bastard child of a film, IMNSHO. I never used it. It was the worst of both worlds - not as good as "real" B&W, but the expense and hassle of C41 processing. still, not cool that Kodak is discontinuing *ANY* film at this point. They don't have enough as it is to be able to be doing that sort of thing. >:-/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, this kind of makes sense - since virtually nobody is printing anything any more anyway, this odd bird which always was a bit of a niche market doesn't have a big market share. It really is best for printing on RA-4 paper. It works, well enough, when printed on fiber paper, but the folks who are going to keep black-and-white film alive are the ones who are going to home process and do their own enlarging, not the target market for this film. That, and the advent of instagram filters and the like make me surprised this film lasted as long as it did. Unless Kodak goes completely tits up quickly, I see them ending up with a similar palette of films to Ilford - Tri-X for a traditional grain emulsion, TMax 100 and 400 for T-grain emulsions, plus the Portras and Ektar 100. If I HAD to lay speculation on what would go next, I'd say it would be Portra 800 - it's expensive, and relatively low volume compared to the others. But I'm not speculating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go Ilford XP2 Super...

Here's one I did on the Ilford film. Beautiful smoothness.

The same state fair begins again here in two days. Seeing the Kodak death of their product makes me want to try more of the Ilford product, but this time in 120. This is when Harman's promise to do all they possibly can not to discontinue anything at all really comes into focus.

Thanks Harman...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Actually, this kind of makes sense - since virtually nobody is printing anything any more anyway, this odd bird which always was a bit of a niche market doesn't have a big market share. It really is best for printing on RA-4 paper. It works, well enough, when printed on fiber paper, but the folks who are going to keep black-and-white film alive are the ones who are going to home process and do their own enlarging, not the target market for this film. That, and the advent of instagram filters and the like make me surprised this film lasted as long as it did. Unless Kodak goes completely tits up quickly, I see them ending up with a similar palette of films to Ilford - Tri-X for a traditional grain emulsion, TMax 100 and 400 for T-grain emulsions, plus the Portras and Ektar 100. If I HAD to lay speculation on what would go next, I'd say it would be Portra 800 - it's expensive, and relatively low volume compared to the others. But I'm not speculating.
    Hope not. Portra 800 is fantastic. There's nothing like those colors at that speed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Though I don't like to see any film leave the market, I will fully admit I never once purchased this. I always found it strange looking and since I develop B&W film myself there just wasn't much point in me buying a film I couldn't process at home.

I personally don't know of anyone who used it regularly.

So it is not shocking at all to see this go quite frankly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A sad day :-(

This was my favourite film. Smooth, grain free, lovely tonality that was very kind to skin in portraits. But when it was discontinued in 120, I knew that 35mm would go away sooner rather than later.

I'm not a fan of the Ilford XP2 stuff. I guess I will be processing more traditional B&W at home.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, I've never used it, either.

But it makes sense to the lomo crowd that doesn't develop their own B&W, and use scanners.

I'm sure they could have been a market, if only KA would PROMOTE their films.

Page 1 of 30 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin