Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,270   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Value of expired films

Many people wonder how much they should pay for used equipment (lenses, bodies, etc), but what about expired film? How much of a percentage off of retail do you feel is realistic?

Of course there will be variables that would come into play (store, how old, etc), but let's just go with expired more then 10 years, and properly stored. If you have a rule of thumb you use that takes into account some of the variables, that would be great.
    Last edited by Kirks518; 08-28-2014 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you should put them on ebay.co.uk Kirk, because judging by the prices people are asking for expired film there, you just ADD a hefty percentage to retail ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no rule of thumb. Some expired film sells for much more than the original price; some sells for less. It really comes down to how much the buyer wants that film and the motivation of the seller. Some sellers want to make a profit; others just want to pass it along. I once had a practice of passing it along for free... until one guy took it using the guise of being a poor student/artist and then sold it on this forum for $$$. I don't have any hard feelings toward him, but that experience certainly modified my once-generous habits.

If you are a seller rather than a buyer... suggest opening bid set at 99p and see where the auction goes. Could go much higher than you think. Or it could...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I realize that everyone's individual circumstances differ, I personally wouldn't use expired film, as I would not want to take the risk. It might be OK. Or it might not. And if one can't pre-test it, one just accepts that risk.

For me fresh film costs are only a small slice of the total costs in both time and effort to make a photograph. Of course, YMMV.

But if I was to purchase expired, properly stored for 10 years, I personally wouldn't pay much more than maybe 10% of the cost for the fresh equivalent. And then it would only be used for camera or darkroom testing. Not for important pictures. At least without pre-testing. Again, YMMV.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi kirk

ebay allows free listings
    just put it up at whatever price you want and let
    the buyers decide what they want to pay for it.
    i shoot expired films these days 8+ years and have no issue with it ...
    and it it is kind of obvious that if someone is spending $$ on
    old expired film they know the risks involved ... just the same
    you might want to put a disclaimer on your sell page saying
    "this isn't fresh film by buying this film you know it is expired
    and might not behave like fresh film yadda yadda yadda "
    if i wasn't getting out of the premanufactured film market
    i would be sending you a PM asking what you have
    good luck with your sale!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I say there ihardly is a rule of thumb. It depends on many variables.
    Amongst them the place where that deal is to take place.

I for instance rarely take e-bay prices as a guide. They typicall are far off from where I buy. (The same time e-bay has its benefits.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to clarify - I am not looking to sell any film. I was perusing ebay, and noticed (as mentioned here) that some of the expired film was being sold for close to the price of new. An example is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Feet-of-...-/271533405046 the guy wants $0.95 less then what B&H sells the same film for new, and this guys' film is 13 years expired. It got me wondering what a realistic pricing discount would be for expired film.

Shooter
    35mm

fantasies

There are a lot of fantasies on EBag. A person can say that olde film has been kept in perfect conditions but how are you going to prove it ahead of buying it? Selling expired film to me is like the Nigerian lady who is willing to share a few million bucks with you but you must pay the tax or something up front. Lots of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only reasons for using expired film are if you are experimenting and don't mind taking the risk, if you got the film inexpensive/free and don't mind taking the risk, or if you like using archaic emulsions and don't mind taking the risk. All options include risk and if one is willing to accept that risk, then hopefully the film was inexpensive/free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post
    Just to clarify - I am not looking to sell any film. I was perusing ebay, and noticed (as mentioned here) that some of the expired film was being sold for close to the price of new. An example is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Feet-of-...-/271533405046 the guy wants $0.95 less then what B&H sells the same film for new, and this guys' film is 13 years expired. It got me wondering what a realistic pricing discount would be for expired film.
    Well, in that particular case, the seller is accepting offers. And he's had many offers but apparently has rejected all.

Personally, I expect recently expired film of a currently available emulsion to sell for about 2/3 of new (mail order price). 9 year old film, however, might be a different story. I wouldn't hesitate to buy 9 year old film that was properly stored from a trusted source. But from someone on ebay?

FWIW, I sold a 100 ft roll on Pan F, dated 2006, for $35 in 2012. I thought that was fair at the time. It too had been frozen since bought fresh.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin