Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,102   Posts: 1,636,507   Online: 867

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

status of 220 manufacture?

APUG Advertiser Freestyle Photo posted on Facebook:

"5 January at 12:53 ‪#‎Kodak‬ has officially discontinued ‪#‎Portra220‬ ‪#‎film‬. We have VERY limited stock."

Is this the final word for 220 everywhere?
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no idea of the manufacturing status I suggest you ask the manufacturer, but B&H in the U.S are still selling 220 portra and 220 Fuji 400 H, I suggest you stock up on it if you like it I don't think it will be around for much longer.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-08-2015 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonder what will become of the 220 finishing machine(s)?

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect that this was inevitable. Kodak Alaris has been discontinuing several films that haven't been performing up to their wishes. I doubt that 220 has been rushing off the shelves, particularly since the price for Kodak 220 is almost exactly double the price of Kodak 120 in the same emulsion.

Although it is nice to be able to get 32 shots before having to change a roll, for me it is only a convenience factor. I hope Fuji keeps it around but their history as of late has not been very encouraging either.

Now I am a little worried for the continued production of 120 color roll films of any kind. The timing for Ferrania may be better than anyone anticipated. A color film producer who is capable of producing at lower volumes may end up the survivor here.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just purchased a pro pack of Kodak Portra 160 220 (although I actually meant to order the 400 version, oh well) from B&H. I really like 220. I hope Ferrania offers its new film in 220, but I'm grateful for any medium format film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    A number of times in the last nine years I looked for 220 films that I would want to use. I could not find a wide enough selection of 220 films to justify the use of 220 film even though my Mamiya C330 supported 220 use. When I switched to the Hasselblad system, it was even harder to justify the cost of 220 film backs. I lost all interest in using 220 films. I am sure that others came to the same conclusion. These observations were made in Popular Photography and Modern Photography in the early 1960s when 220 format first became available.

One would think that if the wide spread market for the 220 market was desired by film manufacturers that the film manufacturers would have expanded to selection of 220 products. They never took so those steps so they must have had good reasons even back then.

I am not surprised of the 220 format decline and demise, however I am surprised it took so long.
    My Mamiya C330F can use 220 film too, and in nearly thirty years I've owned it I've never shot even one roll of it, even when I used to shoot weddings.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a widespread market for film? I thought it was all niche?

I wish I could get B&W in 220. It would mean 16 shots on a roll instead of 8. IMO it is strictly about convenience, as has been commented. I'd like to spend less time loading film and more time exposing it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It seems like it was 3 times the price of 120. Color lab here charges the same for both but no savings when film is 3x price. I have 20 or 30 rolls of expired 220 that I am trying to use up. Guess I will lookfor deals on ebay.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    My Mamiya C330F can use 220 film too, and in nearly thirty years I've owned it I've never shot even one roll of it, even when I used to shoot weddings.
    I'm impressed the 220 was only used by the wedding and girly mag photogs.
    The C330s were easy to reload but I never liked to load film in pressure situation in sun shine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The price recently has been more than double that of 120. I did get a 220 insert for my M645 Pro (my Yashicamat 124 can, of course, use it) mainly because I got a bunch of 220 film including Agfa Optima 400 and, yay, nine rolls of Astia I still have, in a box o' film purchase. I've shot a couple of rolls of the Optima and it was fine (cold stored, supposedly - whatever, it's fine.) I think I paid $17 for the 220 insert from KEH so it was worth it just to shoot that film.

But it really doesn't have much appeal for me. 15 shots in my M645 or 12 in my Yashica are just about ideal. 30 is too many, or would be without the interchangeable backs. I can imagine times I might like 24 shots in the Yashica, especially since it's slower to load than a 645 insert (or swapping backs.) But it just isn't a big deal. Those shooting 6x7 or, more so, 6x9 cameras would have more use for it of course.

I suspect the biggest use for it was probably wedding shooters. Since so few weddings are shot on film now, and the few that are most likely are shot with cameras with quickly interchanged backs, I too am surprised it lasted this long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin