Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,080   Posts: 1,635,603   Online: 904

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lomography: a blessing or a curse?

I thought I'd do a search for 'out-dated, or expired' film, on eBay, to test my growing collection of vintage and classic cameras without exceeding my limited budget. I was horrified to discover that such material is more expensive than fresh stock, because it's been made trendy (or cool) by Lomography, who sell the stuff (eg. verichrome exp. 1966, twice the price of brand new film!).

I realise Lomography is keeping film alive, but at what cost? What do the rest of you think?

Bill Ward (64)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lomo is a blessing; it supports photographic imagemaking. If one wants cheaper film it might be better to buy fresh than outdated. The world turns and times change. Don't villianize lomo. Shoot less but higher quality if funds are tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Brian, -- paraphrasing -- a rising film use floats all cameras! And buying expired film does nothing to keep current film producers in business. Given that the film itself is only a portion of my photography expenses -- there's chemistry, travel, etc. -- I would rather buy new film, even if less of it, and not add any unnecessary risks to my final results. But that's me ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +3

It's not my thing, but I wouldn't criticize how others choose to express themselves creatively, or do for a hobby.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    35mm
    One section of the film market reduces its price when the sell by date looms, the other raises it for being sub-optimal. Put the film on a radiator for a month, get lousy quality and save money!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I bought old mustangs and other classic 60's and 70's cars before they rocketed in value and interest in the last 5-8 years. These things happen in many areas. You'd rather the film market be in more jeopardy of a future so you can buy expired film a little cheaper?? That said I nailed a load of expired and expiring 120/35 B&W film when pros we're going digital and dumping their fridges and freezers. Often less than a buck a roll and 100' bulk film spools for $20 or less. Need to get a lock for my dorm freezer...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I agree with Brian, -- paraphrasing -- a rising film use floats all cameras! And buying expired film does nothing to keep current film producers in business. Given that the film itself is only a portion of my photography expenses -- there's chemistry, travel, etc. -- I would rather buy new film, even if less of it, and not add any unnecessary risks to my final results. But that's me ....
    Yep! My thoughts exactly. I think Lomo is fun, and it keeps people interested in film. One of the reasons I have a couple of Holgas.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
    I thought I'd do a search for 'out-dated, or expired' film, on eBay, to test my growing collection of vintage and classic cameras without exceeding my limited budget. I was horrified to discover that such material is more expensive than fresh stock, because it's been made trendy (or cool) by Lomography, who sell the stuff (eg. verichrome exp. 1966, twice the price of brand new film!).

I realise Lomography is keeping film alive, but at what cost? What do the rest of you think?

Bill Ward (64)
    If you want film to stay alive you have to take the good with the bad. Any film demand is good for film. Same with digital. Photogs complain how digital ruined it for them with all the competition, yet with the next breath they tell how much they love the digital results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Do people who buy oil paintings of Elvis on velvet help promote the arts? Don't know, don't care.
    If they do it might help sell more paint overall.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ward View Post
    I thought I'd do a search for 'out-dated, or expired' film, on eBay, to test my growing collection of vintage and classic cameras without exceeding my limited budget.
    Off topic, but: there is life beyond Ebay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin