Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,171   Posts: 1,658,571   Online: 982

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

New 8x10" format instant film available soon from Impossible Project (B&W Gen 2.0)

Impossible Project recently released a new B&W instant film: Generation 2.0 B&W Film for Polaroid™ 600 and SX-70 Cameras.
    This triggered me to inquire at Impossible Project about the availability of 8x10" format film.

Good news! Today I received this answer from Impossible:

Question:
    I was wondering what types of film will be available in 8x10" format.
    Also the B&W Generation 2.0 film?

Answer:
    The new 8x10 B&W ten 2.0 will be available really soon, the price will be the same: 169€ for the single pack, 455€ for the triple pack.
    About the color film, we are still working to improve the new chemistry.
    We hope we can release this generation really soon.
    I recently bought me a 8x10" Polaroid processor 2nd hand. It came with some very old Polaroid film so I can test if it still works properly. But some fresh new film would be welcome

(Some examples from Impossible Project)

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impossible-Gen2.0_emanual-mathias_l.jpg   Impossible-Gen2.0_french-cockpit_l.jpg   Impossible-Gen2.0_thomas-weidenhaupt_l.jpg  
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 04-13-2015 at 08:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good News.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sold my Polaroid Processor and Film Holder... but then again, I don't think I could fork over 169 euros so easily.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is good news, though they're still very vague on dates. "Really soon" can mean a lot of things and it can mean nothing. Still, I believe they're sincere about the black and white 8x10 product, as they've consistently had something available. Color has been promised for the past two or more years ever since they released a beta product to Pioneers a while back. But nothing since.
    Last edited by bvy; 04-13-2015 at 04:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Cool!

Shooter
    Large Format
    cool +1

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    This is good news, though they're still very vague on dates. "Really soon" can mean a lot of things and it can mean nothing. Still, I believe they're sincere about the black and white 8x10 product, as they've consistently had something available. Color has been promised for the past two or more years. They even released a beta product a while back to Pioneers, but nothing since.
    You might be right, but I guess there are some very good signs. The B&W Generation 2.0 was first released for 600 format and shortly after for SX70 format. The last batch of (previous formula) B&W 8x10" was sold out as a sale a few months ago. And more importantly, there are already some tests done, like by Oliver Blohm who reported on Facebook:

"I shot the new 8x10" Generation 2.0 BW film yesterday for the campaign and this film is a real improvement regarding to the PQ and the last generation of the film! It's super sharp and no weird blures anymore! So, stay curious - this film is amazing!"

"the contrast is high, yes, but it's way more sharper, you get a clean developing in all parts and you can watch how it appears."

[ (me asking Hi Oliver, could you share some 8x10" (Gen.2.0) examples here please? ]

"I can present them after the official launch or you will probably see them, when Impossible is officially announcing the new film."
    So I have good hopes.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find it difficult to believe that there is a significant market for a product that goes for about $17US per shot that only MIGHT produce a reasonable image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on one's definition of "reasonable" these days. The photographic markets are light-years different today than what they were 10, 20, 30, or more years ago. I know because I can remember.

Those of us who still practice those ancient ways—and hold on to those ancient definitions—are becoming more and more the minority as time marches on.

My guess is that those who are currently using TIP products of all sizes will indeed look upon the quality of the images in this new and improved version, as well as the price points, as just fine.

I doubt TIP would continue making it (and upgrading it) if they weren't selling it. And they wouldn't be selling it if buyers weren't happy with it.

Ken
    "When making a portrait, my approach is quite the same as when I am portraying a rock. I do not wish to impose my personality upon the sitter, but, keeping myself open to receive reactions from his own special ego, record this with nothing added: except of course when I am working professionally, when money enters in,—then for a price, I become a liar..."

— Edward Weston, Daybooks, Vol. II, February 2, 1932

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin