Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,074   Online: 724

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Images
    If photography actually does disappear, and I flatly don't believe that I'll ever see that day, I will have to find new medium for my creative impulses but I doubt if it will be digital image manipulation and mechanical inkjet printing. No satisfaction there.
    Perhaps I'll take up interpretive erotic dance
    That'll provide an international incentive for keeping photography alive
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    "As to "A buck's a buck", I used to work with a guy who had spent years at GE research. He said that GE felt that if they weren't #1 or #2 in the world on something, it wasn't worth their time. Money or no money."

Not entirely correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's the best paper to use for salt and albumen prints? Salt, eggs and silver nitrate are pretty cheap. Maybe buy up all that paper that's been opened and is offered on ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This does not surprise me in the least. kodak has been steadily eliminating products for several years. I imagine that within the next year we will be reading about Kodak leaving the B&W film and chemistry business.

Whenever I bring this up people argue that they just spent millions building a new fiilm coating facility. In the over all scheme of US business practices those millions are simply a one time right off against revenues. Stock holders only see the gains from laying off workers and shuttering facilities.

I still hold out hope that we will see TriX and ane maybe Tmax produced overseas, perhaps in China under a licensing agreement with Kodak. Yes the quality will probably suffer, but what does Kodak care? There name will not be on it but they will get a small percentage of the profits.

Last year I bought equivalent of 10 gallons of HC110 concentrate. It is still a favorite for ULF film and that should last me forever. That is about the only chemistry they have that I cannot duplicate from scratch.

Michael Smith has mentioned the possibility of someone else stepping in and making a Chloride contact paper. Hopefully this comes to fruition. I would be willing to place substantial order for such a paper to demonstrate commitment to the new mfg.

If that does not happen I will purchase a freezer and start to buy AZO in quantitiy.

Otherwise it is simply live and adapt with what is left. As i have said before, when this all shakes out there will be 3 or 4 choices of paper and perhaps the same number of film emulsions to choose from before niche mfgs began to re-introduce older offerings.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does Lucky made photo paper?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    First, let's make sure it is true. For Ronald, All the companies have been cutting back on products. Ilford has, Agfa has, and Kodak has been a much larger supporter than most other companies.
    Well, it most definitely IS true. Kodak will make no more B&W paper. That includes the traditional process as well as RA-4 Portra papers. Sad day when I think back on all the marvelous papers they offered at one time. How ironic if Ilford turns out to be the only mfr of B&W paper, especially since Agfa Photo GMBH has filed for insolvency, and Forte is still up in the air. Oh well...

stinkjet

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's a news story confirming what has been announced:

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssen...s/11902064.htm

I am stunned. Polymax fine art has been my paper of choice for nearly 10 years. I am truely in mourning.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well! Screw Kodak. Just for that, I'm not going to buy any more Tri-X film packs for my Speed Graphic. That'll teach 'em.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started out my darkroom adventures with Kodak papers. I love them.

All of you who will be missing your favorite papers because of this, have my deepest sympathies.

sincerely....

-Tammy

Images
    When I used Ilford MG FB, I was always trying to find new developers and methods to get solid, deep blacks. When I switched to Polymax Fine Art, I got everything that I was looking for in Dektol 1:2 without toning. I still have the last box of Ilford that I bought, unopened and unused. Ilford wouldn't be my choice to be the last paper standing but hey, OTOH, it's better than a poke in the eye with a frozen dishrag.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin