Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,430   Online: 854

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobyalan
    Well! Screw Kodak. Just for that, I'm not going to buy any more Tri-X film packs for my Speed Graphic. That'll teach 'em.

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't matter whether you buy Tri-X or not; you're only a drop in the bucket. For every one of you/us still shooting film there are 10 or more diginuts out there. That's where the money is and that, unfortunately, is the bottom line. B/w isn't, or won't be, bringing in *ENOUGH* money.

It's truly sad that this has happened; whether you use Kodak paper or not and I'm afraid it's only the beginning.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The bottom line is the capability to make a beautiful end product isn't it. Well it is with me. I've been able to do that without Kodak in the loop anywhere for quite a while. Kodak was the big yellow weren't they. They never will be again. Glad I own none of their stock. Glad I don't depend on the Rochester economy. Sorry for those families that did.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well if scrapping paper means they can continue to manufacture tri-x then I can live with that. The only paper I really liked by Kodak was EktalureG so this isn't a huge loss for me. They are going down a dangerous path here. I'd say it is the IPOD scenario. The ipod was all the rage for a year or so, and they sold a lot of them. Then Bill Gates in a recent article says the ipods will be obsolete anyday by new cellphones which can hold similar amounts of mp3's. Sure enough an article has come out a few days ago about how ipod sales are falling fast. Kodak is doing the same thing dumping most of their eggs in the digital basket. I think they'd have much better success getting into something like the shoe business. I just can't see how they can compete with the likes of Sony, Panasonic, Nokia, Sharp, Samsung, and the gazillion other hardware manufacturers. Are inkjet paper sales really that good? Are consumers really going to buy a clunky Kodak easyshare digital camera when they can have a cellphone/mp3/pda/12 megapixel camera all in one? I think this is the beginning of the end for them. I'm just going to keep my ears open and if it does turn to custard buy a freezer and fill it to the brim with 8x10 tri-x..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Were there is a demand some one will fill it. It may cost more, have less choices, even inferior product but someone makes it. You can still LPs, tubes for radios, there is a small manufacturer here still making tube sound systems. hey I think you can still get rotary dial phones. Which brings up a question, why is the phone company still charging extra for ton dial......?

Ooh i got off subject. I have not found anything to prove the rumor yet. So I'll just wait and see. Never liked their paper( except AZO) anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a sad note--

Kodak hasn't even put this out as a press release on their website yet. Don't they think this is important? I guess not.

Matt

Images
    So they are going from being the leader of an industry to being one in a huge pack of computer, electronics and camera companies all competing for a slice of what was once the photographic market. If I wanted to buy a digital camera , I'd buy it from Sony or Panasonic, what makes a photographic company better at making digital imaging electronics?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I started on Ilford, when to Oriental Seagull, then a brief fling with Brilliant and then settled in of Polymax Fine Art. The blacks are as deep as you will find. There will be another to jump in where this hole exists but it may take a while.

I do hope you take the time to register your displeasure with Kodak. It would be a shame for them to make this announcement without a bit of a firestorm. Please, though, make your opinions known in a professional manner - they are far more likely to be read and heard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak is still a hugh band name, many folks who shoot snap shots will still buy Kodak, and their top of the line professional digital cameras seems to be well thought of. But from little I know about Kodak's product line they still make money in selling mini lab rolls and chemistry, medical and technincal supplies, and digital medical imaging equipment. Kodak can still license their name to other Asian manufacturing companies who do make digital gear.

Here's the release I was sent:

Kodak Announces Discontinuance of KODAK PROFESSIONAL Black & White Papers

June 15, 2005 Due to the significant declines in market usage of papers
    designed for Black-and-White printing, Kodak is discontinuing the
    manufacture of all KODAK PROFESSIONAL Black & White Papers.

This announcement has no impact on the production or availability of
    Kodak's portfolio of Black & White Films and Chemicals for processing
    Black and White Papers or Films.

Most of the Black & White Paper products will remain available through the
    end of 2005 - although depending on demand, some specific formats or
    products may be exhausted sooner. The paper products affected are:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

Digital Black & White Paper RC base -For Digital Exposure -Traditional

B & W Process,

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

POLYCONTRAST IV RC Paper RC base -For Optical Exposure - Traditional

B & W Process

KODAK PROFESSIONAL V-PRINT Paper RC base -For Optical Exposure -
    Traditional B & W Process

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

KODABROME II RC Paper RC base -For Optical Exposure - Traditional

B & W Process

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

PANALURE Select RC Paper RC base -For Optical Exposure - Traditional

B & W Process

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

POLYMAX Fine Art Paper Fiber base - For Optical Exposure - Traditional

B & W Process

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

AZO Paper Fiber base - For Optical Exposure - Traditional

B & W Process

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

PORTRA Black & White Paper RC base -For Optical and Digital Exposure

RA- 4 Process

KODAK PROFESSIONAL

PORTRA Sepia Paper RC base -For Optical and Digital Exposure

RA- 4 Process

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a shock to the nervous system but I'm not really surprised.

The corporate mindset and accounting rationale these days is that it's bad to only make a profit. They have to make huge profits. If they don't, they consider it a loss.

I think this will help Ilford and other paper makers who have been struggling. But we can't expect things to become stable for a long time to come.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin