Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,948   Posts: 1,585,929   Online: 1028

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    If George E. were alive, he'd shoot himself again.
    Mr Dover you wouldn't know a guy by the name of Justin Butz? I seem to remember him mentioning your name.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Mr Dover you wouldn't know a guy by the name of Justin Butz? I seem to remember him mentioning your name.
    Perhaps you are thinking of Mr. Spredham. My business partner in the firm of Ben Dover & Spredham.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I just can't believe that within their transition to cash in on the popularity of digital, they can't run a factory to supply and profit even from the admittedly contracted traditional photography market. They already have the machinery, patents, personel, reputation and an existing worldwide distribution network. Granted, their film division will become a small part of the overall company but hey, a buck's a buck.
    Why is this so hard for people to grasp???

Merely being profitable has nothing to do with it.

Proftiability to the extent that you can offer adequate return on investment to investors placing their capital at risk has EVERYTHING to do with it.

So Kodak could make $1 on a $55 box of Polymax? Why should investors give a damn if they could get 4% on their money by putting it in the bank?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Companies like Kodak are incapable of profitability in niche markets. They do not have the inclination to change their business model from one of mass marketing to one of mass customization. Imagine if Kodak actually sought out ULF customers with the offer to cut film to their size. Imagine if they had the ability profitably run small batches of paper as needed by the fine art community. Imagine if they showed committment to their roots (and customers.)

Kodak is like an Aircraft carrier trying to pull water skiers. They have the power and the speed but heaven help you if you want to go anywhere but straight ahead and don't expect them to circle back if you need them.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    They have indicated that their future is in "D" market. I can understand they can't stay in business selling to a small market. On the other hand they have made no effort to promote, letting people know that REAL film, non C-41 process was available. As I see it, they don't need us, and WE DON'T need them. Hopefully this and when they AXE film, which sooner the better, will insure companys like Ilford can have a certain future. Ilford's concern is B&W, and they made the statement we WANT to be around. They have good proven products, and QUALITY control. Support those that WANT to support YOU.

Jennifer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    From the Azo forum--

Quote:
    Posted by: Michael A. Smith Posted at: 10:32:06 AM PT, 6/15/2005

I have an appointment to speak with KOdak at 9:00 A.M. tomorrow. I will let everyone know what transpires. As of this moment I am not worried. There is five years worth of Azo on the master rolls.

Michael

The real question is what will Kodak do with the master rolls of AZO?
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Images
    MAS will need to install another walk in freezer. One marked XX and the other marked AZO.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn

The real question is what will Kodak do with the master rolls of AZO?
    LOL....good point! If they are getting out of the paper market and supposedly have about a 6 month inventory I dont see them hanging around for 5 years with Azo. They will most likely call it a loss, destroy the rolls unless someone wants to buy them and deduct them from their taxes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    MAS will need to install another walk in freezer. One marked XX and the other marked AZO.
    I think it is going to require more than 1 walk in freezer....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    As I see it, they don't need us, and WE DON'T need them. Hopefully this and when they AXE film, which sooner the better, will insure companys like Ilford can have a certain future. Ilford's concern is B&W, and they made the statement we WANT to be around. They have good proven products, and QUALITY control. Support those that WANT to support YOU.
    Speak for yourself. I, for one, need their products very much. Whether we like the stuff or not, I don't think anyone here would argue that Azo isn't a unique product. There is simply no substitute for it. No paper ever made by Ilford even comes close. And what they're making now is but a pale shadow of the old Galerie graded paper.

While I'm sure that many here would not agree with me (and they have a much better argument about this one than they would the paper), I also feel the same way about 400TMax. For me there is no film manufactured today which can match it. Some can come close, but this ain't either horseshoes or hand grenades. Wherever possible I brook no compromises, so 'almost' just doesn't cut it.

I really couldn't care less who wants to support me or doesn't. I only care what my prints look like. Without Kodak's quality and incredible consistency of quality they will suffer dramatically.

If Kodak does not plan to cut, package and distribute the master rolls they own, I'll begin stockpiling immediately.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin