Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,927   Online: 928

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Buying Master Rolls of Azo

What an opportunity for J&C to get a product that would probably sell just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I think it is going to require more than 1 walk in freezer....
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I don't recall who it was last nite in the chat room, but they related a story that when Kodak bought GAF, they destroyed the GAF coating line so it could not be re-sold and become competition. So I don't hold out to much hope that Kodak would ever sell facilities, formulas or machines to anyone. The only thing they might do is move film production overseas where wages are cheap and environmental regulations are non-existent and sell some emulsions under a different brand.
    [...]
    I was under the impression that Kodak made their paper in Brazil. Regardless, if their formula is truly worthwhile, it cannot be kept a secret; corporate espionage thrives as the epitome of capitalism. One only has to change it in the smallest way to reproduce the product.

Kodak's leaving the field makes the smaller, more nimble, private companies stronger. I am confident our needs will be fulfilled.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    With the recent paper news...

Anyone want to take a stab at how long traditional b&w film will still be on their books? If they don't see profit in paper, they can't have that much more in the film that needs to be printed...

6 months?
    1 year?
    2 years?

It's nice to put it out there that they're discontinuing paper but keeping all the rest... The other shoes will drop shortly as this "transition" to digital takes place... Life goes on.

joe

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For what it is worth (about 2 cents) i just talked with my dealer and during the chat we did talk about Kodak and the paper news, they told me that the chemical end of the business has been very good as well as film. Does this mean anything; of course not, just one birdseye comment.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Has there been a official announcement yet?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Competition is good for the purchaser. Kodak's exit will certainly reduce competition. This in turn will create a short term volume growth opportunity for others and give more pricing strength to the manufacturers. Thus prices will increase significantly. This should not be a problem for serious photographers, materials are not the majority of costs. The value of their time, cost of equipment etc. are significant. They will pay a lot more for materials but they have few alternatives so they will pay the increased material costs.

If you want an example in the photographic business look at photographic chemical specialty prices. Their specialty items that were once made by large manufacturers are priced far higher than they were when there was competition for these items.

The next crisis for fiber-based BW paper will be the supply of baryta-coated paper support. There are very few manufacturers. The ones that exist run very large scale paper facilities that make a variety of modern paper products. The baryta coated paper is a very minor, perhaps insignificant, portion of their business. How much longer will they be providing baryta-coated paper? If they exit perhaps a specialty company will make the support. Again a price increase and probably poorer technology.

This isn't doom-and-gloom, it is reality. We will be able to make black-and-white fiber based prints but it will be more difficult.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stoped by my local shop to pick up some polycontrast and taked to the person who keeps track of the dark room and film inventories. She feels that many people are still using film then scanning for prints. I hope that film and chemistry will be around for another few years.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    Has there been a official announcement yet?
    I seem to have answered my own question. Looks official.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan...=apn_home_down

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would use industro in a heartbeat over azo. It seemed to be easier to control, and had this wonderful gritty texture (very hard to describe) that made it nice to work with, when it was wet it was like holding a piece of cloth. It seemed to be ever-so-slightly sharper than azo and was easier to get a cooler color.
    The box i had was never opened, and dated 1958, the year Weston died.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Aaron Van de Sande bought a cache of Haloid Industro, made a few beautiful prints, and decided he needed to set aside 8x10" for a while and sold it. Maybe if he has a record of the purchaser we could track it down.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    I was under the impression that Kodak made their paper in Brazil. Regardless, if their formula is truly worthwhile, it cannot be kept a secret; corporate espionage thrives as the epitome of capitalism. One only has to change it in the smallest way to reproduce the product.

Kodak's leaving the field makes the smaller, more nimble, private companies stronger. I am confident our needs will be fulfilled.
    Don't forget - they will be cutting all of the people loose as well. There is a sudden glut of people who understand photographic emulsions.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin