Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,611   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Rumor so far.... Kodak is killing off all B+W paper products.

Kodak has discontinued all B&W paper. The official announcement will be made later today. Kodak will continue to manufacture B&W film and chemicals.

Reported on the F32 website by Richard Knoppow.

Keep tuned...
    Frank Filippone

Maybe some late April Folls joke? From the LF list;

"I called Kodak to verify this information. Yes, they are discontinuing
    their black-and-white papers. They say that this is part of their global
    digital stratigy. Paper sales are shrinking by 25 percent per year.
    Anyway, they say that they are going to continue to make film."

Some have surmised that it is a misunderstandign and that Kodak was goign tostop making it's own paper base and outsoource that. But my understanding is that it's been a good long time since Kodak actually made, much of it's own paper base?

If this turns out to be true, stop buying their film and let them close up shop. They have been removing products or cheapening them for several decades now. They evidently don`t want the business anymore.

I suggest supporting the English company that is commited to monochrome photography. Volumn sales will allow them to exist. Kodak can get it`s wish-out of the market.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

Why rush to judgment

First, let's make sure it is true. For Ronald, All the companies have been cutting back on products. Ilford has, Agfa has, and Kodak has been a much larger supporter than most other companies. Ronald seems determined to play the sour grapes card no matter the topic. Let's look at what products Kodak has discontinued versus how many years they have been in the business. The cannot make everyone happy, but they still offer many emulsions and products. Why so negative ALL THE TIME?

Images
    I haven't used HP5 for many years but I LOVE TriX. Versatile, Great tonal range, it responds well to development changes. 400 is an excellent speed, especially if you favor using filters and handholding, and it pushes and pulls beautifully. Not to mention the pure tradition of it. I'm sure that it was the first B&W film that I ever shot and it was also the last (yesterday). I always have at least one, and usually a couple of bodies loaded with it.
    If that disappeared, I'd go into mourning.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry Ronald, but I will keep on using Tmx 400 until they stop making it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Sorry Ronald, but I will keep on using Tmx 400 until they stop making it.
    I agree. Life is too short. Whilst I agree with supporting Ilford all the way (and lets not forget the Eastern European manufacturers!!!!!), I for one, will not stop using a product I like to punish them, tempting as it may be. I am looking to replace HP5 plsu with TriX as in the dull British climes, I would like more punch, as much as I love HP5 plus when things are brighter. I also would not pass up a box of polymax fine art at the right price when I next need cold paper. Its a beut.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sucks. I heard the same rumour only minutes ago.

Directly from the Kodak website you can read their mission statement with the new acquisition of Creo, Inc.

Part of the success of the company now, seems to include the

"Implementation of its digitally oriented growth strategy"
    and further, a "Transition from analogue to digital imaging" and "reduction of inventories".

Whatever you think. TriX is my staple black and white film- particularly since I shoot it all over the place and in all formats.

Kodak mentions its "analogue-to-digital transition" several times within its new release as a contingency for continued growth in the imaging marketplace.

I'm personally a bit flattened out by all this going on in the film/chemistry industry.

-Tammy

Images
    It's too bad that photography has come to this, but I have long hoped that someone big would step away so that others might survive longer. I'm glad it was Kodak.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Images
    I just can't believe that within their transition to cash in on the popularity of digital, they can't run a factory to supply and profit even from the admittedly contracted traditional photography market. They already have the machinery, patents, personel, reputation and an existing worldwide distribution network. Granted, their film division will become a small part of the overall company but hey, a buck's a buck.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin