Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,079   Online: 1137

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    As the film market shrinks it will become challenging to find many of the things we take for granted.

DKT

so what about the Printo? any word on whether omega will support that, or is there an alternate durst vendor in the US?

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DKT
    so what about the Printo? any word on whether omega will support that, or is there an alternate durst vendor in the US?
    The Printo is Durst not Jobo--- just as Nova is Nova and not Jobo. Both are no longer represented by Jobo in North America.

According to Dust (just checked) the consumer products are now handled by

Durst Image Technology US LLC
    50 Methodist Hill Drive
    Suite 100

Rochester, NY 14623
    USA
    Phone: +1 5 85 4 86 03 40
    Telefax: +1 5 85 4 86 03 50

Contact person:
    Ron Waters

and in Canada:

Macula Technik
    6A - 49 The Donway
    West, Suite 348
    M3C 2E8 Toronto, Ontario
    Canada
    Phone:
    Telefax:

Contact person:
    Mr. Peter Kirkwood

and Mexico:

Foto Regis, Cia. Importadora
    Fotografica S.A. de C.V.
    Mier Y Pesado 131
    Col. del Valle Mexico
    03100 Mexico
    Mexico
    Phone: +52 555 4 48 20 00
    Telefax: +52 555 6 82 01 91
    www.fotoregis.com
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ElrodCod
    As the film market shrinks it will become challenging to find many of the things we take for granted.
    At the same time I think many things that we have not been able to find will become available. I'd expect, for instance, an increased availability of printing out and gaslight papers, exotic emulsions and all kinds of esoteric goods for the film cognoscenti. Today there are more opportunities than there have been for over half a century. I'd expect to see within the next year several small artisan photographic paper smiths poping up.

The main reason for the decline of companies such as Jobo is not just the decline in the film market but also the reduction in transaction costs for used gear through the Internet. Combined with a shift in demand this has led to a free fall in used prices and a total collapse of demand for new goods.

Already now we have seen through the collapse a major move upwards in the technical quality of our amateur darkrooms. I don't know about you but these days we are starting to "take for granted" the best gear ever made for small change.
    Edward C. Zimmermann

DKT

thanks for the info--I need to get a new energy therm before the Printo becomes an obsolete piece of esoteric lab equipment like an Ilford processor. in other words, a money pit...a source of constant frustration....a piece of crap...

that's my take on this---great. you can get all the lab gear you never could afford before, except no parts. I'd be really concerned about it if I owned an ATL machine. I'd be stockpiling all the major parts right now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

BUY JOBO Now?

Bob or anyone else with ideas-

Do you think it would better (cost wise) to wait to buy Jobo equipment such as a CPP-2 w/lift until after the takeover or now if you have the opportunity at higher than previous prices? I finally found a lift and CPP-2 processor (probably the last 2 or three NEW processors left in this country) after much searching but the company wants a couple of hundred more for the outfit than the previous New York mail order prices. In fact the lift was actually on a floor display and they want $300 for it! Other retailers are saying they won't have any Jobo shipments until late October. Do you think Omega-Satter will sell Jobo equipment direct to consumers or just be a supplier? Any advice GREATLY appreciated!
    Jim
    Last edited by Changeling1; 08-06-2005 at 11:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: =

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    Do you think Omega-Satter will sell Jobo equipment direct to consumers or just be a supplier? Any advice GREATLY appreciated!
    Jim
    Omega is a distributor. If they sell to consumers it'll be at full list price most likely.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Jim
    I believe Omega will sell to anyone with a Valid Visa or Mastercard.
    For example I am not a reseller but I have been able to buy from manufactures in the past. It helps that I have a factory trained technicion on staff who can isolate problems and just order part #s.

I truly believe the reason Omega is taking over this line is because they will develop a line of nearly affordable digital heads for their omega chassis.
    If they do this then they need to offer the small shop and hobbists a method of running the prints. It has been shown in the past that Jobo is an excellent
    product line for doing film and prints of all types(ciba,ra4 black and white).

I think if I am right , Omega is making a brilliant move and this step is of great interest to all of us as the traditional end product will be now required by both camps*digital* and *traditional*

Deveere has already started this and with some success*San Miquel * labs for one example.

Regarding, is the time right to buy, I don't know your situation, for me I would buy old 2300's and buy the working parts from Omega.
    I have had to replace the lift arms for both my Jobos more than twice, Without my tech guy I definately would not be able to do it. Therefore I first would want to find out *who in your area can tear one of these units apart and put back together* if you have someone then by all means by the machine now and get parts from Omega.. A typical Alt2300 has approximately 36,000 lifts before it will give you problems and you can find out on any jobo how many lifts are on the machine you are thinking on buying.
    I think I can buy a used Alt2300 for around $1500-$4500 , the first thing I would do is count the lifts , if it is over 30000 then I would drop my bid by $1000, as this is what I approximate the cost of a new arm and the installation of it. We have done over 6 lift changes since I bought into the Jobo line.

I am deeply relieved that Jobo product will be around for a longer period of time as I would not know how to produce film of the same quality any other way.

hope this post helps in your decision

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DKT
    thanks for the info--I need to get a new energy therm before the Printo becomes an obsolete piece of esoteric lab equipment like an Ilford processor. in other words, a money pit...a source of constant frustration....a piece of crap...
    Durst ist not Ilford and the Printo is a more modern piece of gear sold in larger numbers. While it is, I think, no longer in production it is still a current item (and shall remain probably for some years to come) and Durst policy is to continue support (spare parts) for no less than 5 but typically as long as a decade after final customer delivery. There are also many dealers and distributors that have stocks of spares so even when Dust no longer has "official" support on offer there can well continue to be spares available--- just as there are parts still available for enlargers that Durst stopped making over 30 years ago.

As to Dust modules: they are cheap on the used market (at least in Germany).

that's my take on this---great. you can get all the lab gear you never could afford before, except no parts. I'd be really concerned about it if I owned an ATL machine. I'd be stockpiling all the major parts right now.
    Unless you get them from the junk pile I don't see the reason. Spare parts for the Jobo ATL machines tend to be very expensive--- at his point in the game something like a pump, motor or controller will be more expensive than the purchase of a whole backup system on the used market. Unless there is a bigtime renaissance in these I suspect over the next few years we will continue to see a good supply of good condition ATLs entering the market at lower than low prices.
    Edward C. Zimmermann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin