Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,426   Online: 818

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

120 and 35mm film in the UK

So I'm headed to the UK and Europe (not the same thing I am oft told my British relatives) for 3 weeks. I just placed my film order, but due to space (film goes in carry-on only after all) I had to lighten the order a bit.

I want to pick up some 120 and 35mm pro film while in the London/M'Boro/Newcastle areas. Mostly some Fuji color print at around 400, some XP2 in 120 and good old TMax 100 in 120.

Can I count on just any Jessops or such to have these?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A big Jessops will probably have the goods. Best bet though is to get a catalogue of theirs (free from any branch) that lists all branch locations and phone numbers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We aren't 3rd world you know, we DO have 2 manufacturers of B&W paper after all, unlike the american continent :-)

More seriously bigger Jessops are ok, stock levels are usually quite low however, I have to order 120 from my local Jessops, normally takes a couple of day, but there are far better dealers.

Should be a Calumet up north east, London you'll have no problems loads of Pro dealers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just order from Robert White and have them ship to wherever you are. It takes them under 15 hours to get stuff to me in Italy - I suspect Newcastle should be next to immediate. Last three Jessops I did only had Tmax 135; no Tri-X, no FP4, no HP5... I laugh imagining if I had asked for 120 or - god forbid - sheet film!
    www.robertwhite.co.uk
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would give Jessops a miss unless you're desperate. The big London branch at New Oxford Street will have your film but they are expensive. I've never used Robert White for film but I'm sure they'll be fine. However, just about the best regarded company for film is Mathers at http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk. If you give them a ring they will do their utmost to get the stuff to you as fast as possible. Get them to ship it to your relatives and it'll be there next day.

Enjoy your trip.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Newcastle there is MPS Photographic at Image House, 17 Carliol Square, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 6UQ.
    Tel:+44 (0) 191 2323558
    Fax:+44 (0) 191 2610990
    www.mps-photographic.co.uk

Best,
    Helen

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    ... It takes them under 15 hours to get stuff to me in Italy - I suspect Newcastle should be next to immediate. ...
    Shipping times are inversely proportional to distance. So local mail will take a week, national 3-4 days, Italy 15 hours, New Zealand 6 hours?

-- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Ole

The Jessops store in Newcastle stocks a decent range of film (but they did sell me some out of date IR film recently- I got my money back). Also try the Jacobs store directly opposite, similar prices but less queing. Another good reason for going to Jacobs is that they sell darkroom chemicals and paper. The Jessops store has no darkroom stuff on display anymore (that I can see).

MPS in Carliol square (as Carol suggests) is a very good professional store but I find them a little bit pricey for film.

Good Luck

Les (from Newcastle)

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry

My previous post should say'Hi Robert'

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can't count on Jessops in my view and in all probability you'll get to talk to someone who isn't real sure what 120 is. Stock levels will be low, so the more you want and the more specific your need the less likely you are to get it.

By far your best chance of getting what you want lies in mail-order where you can place the order by phone (you can do it online too but that way you don't get to know about stockouts). I'd expect all these places to be better value than virtually all retailers, but their prices may not be the same.

Speedgraphic 44.(0)8453 305530 or www.speedgraphic.co.uk will post the same day if you order in time.

Discount Films Direct 44.(0)1623. 491746 or www.discountfilmsdirect.com also stock a wide range and are efficient.

Mailshots 44 (0)870 766 4151 or www.mailshots.co.uk are also good.

Don't use 7day shop- not that they're bad but they are not fast. Some people think they were so called because they're open every day, but rumour has it that its because it takes them that long to fulfil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin